Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Petter Problems?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1512 times

Old 01-27-2018, 04:32:53 PM
Registered

Default Petter Problems?

I have an old petter ph1 handcrank. Tried cranking it the other day it wouldn't crank. I noticed what I call the injector pump was froze up so I took it all apart cleaned it up got it out of time and put it back together lol. I got one of my granddaughters to skeet some starting fluid in it while I cranked up to speed and hit the compression release. She fire up but will only run on either. Now the weep hole on the manual pump is spraying oil out! We took it apart the diaphragm looks fine. The weep hole is on the bottom side of the pump and there's a port that goes into the crankcase. How did this not leak oil all it's life? Anyway I need it to run on diesel. Any pointers? My granddaughters spray finger gets tired to fast to run it on either lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brianroberts For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2018, 06:52:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,252 Times in 679 Posts
Default Re: Petter problems ?

Is it a Lister Petter engine? I have a Monarch which is built like a Lister. I have to remove the side plate and bleed the air out of the pumps to make them pump when I run it out of fuel. Could you post a picture of the engine?
Old 01-27-2018, 07:41:13 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Petter problems ?

after bleeding fuel filter and injector pump;you activate the lever under(right side)the inj. pump until you hear the injector''squeek''. only after the engine can run with fuel.
but keep in mind than running a good Petter (or Lister) with ether had probably broke rings and piston!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:16:51 PM
Registered

Default Re: Petter Problems?

It doesn't say lister anywhere on any of the tags. It just says petter. The old motor has never failed to start right up even after 2 years of setting up one time. This time it set up maybe a year but wouldn't crank this time. I sure hope I havnt broke a ring with the either i know its not good for them. I posted a pic but dont know where it went lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180123_163030.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	301620  
Old 01-31-2018, 04:56:15 AM
Registered-I

Looks like your engine has a lift pump at the bottom of the picture feeding the AC filter and then onto the Bryce injector pump? What's not clear from the picture is the plumbing around the AC filter, I can't make out where the small pipe to the right of the AC filter goes to or if the lift pump actually pumps through the filter to the injector pump. Have you looked at the filter element and also tried to bleed the Bryce injector pump to see if fuel is coming though?
There should be plenty of manuals around on the PH series & Bryce pumps, try looking on the following:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...tion/fuel1.htm
http://www.davidcornwallis.com/uploa...HOP_MANUAL.pdf
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/
Old 02-02-2018, 09:25:53 AM
Registered

Thankyou for the information cancunia! The little line goes up to the injector I thought maybe it's a return line. I'm getting fuel to the injector pump but barely any to the injector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180123_162853.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	302059   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180129_163240.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	302060  
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37:19 AM
Registered-I

Talking Re: Petter Problems?

I do not have experience with this particular brand of pump, but it looks very similar to the MICO pump on my Listeroid.

On mine, if it runs out of fuel, it will get a bubble of air under the delivery valve and will not prime, no matter how much cranking you do. What I have to do is to take the high pressure fuel pipe loose at the pump, then unscrew the delivery valve from the top of the pump. There should be a spring and a valve stem under the delivery valve fitting that you have to remove.

Crank it (if the injector pump is supplied by a lift pump), or allow fuel to flow (if gravity fed) until you get clear fuel (no bubbles) flowing from the top of the pump. Then put the delivery valve back together. Before you put the injector pipe back on, crank it again and make sure you're getting squirts of fuel without air out of the top of the delivery valve. Then put the injector line back on, leaving the nut loose at the injector to bleed the air out of the line. Once you get clear fuel coming from the pipe at the injector, tighten the line nut down and you should hear the injector creak as you crank it. You should then be good to go and it should start..

If the plunger of the pump is stuck, well, that's another story. You should be able to watch the plunger go up and down as you crank it when the delivery valve is removed...

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 02-02-2018, 08:42:18 PM
Registered

Thankyou Kevin, I think I'm getting closer to understanding how this engine works thanks to everyone's help with information on here. It's funny I've had this engine all these years and never really looked to see how it actually works but it always just cranked and ran I never had to work on it. However I think I'm getting closer I cranked on it a few times after work today and at least I got a little smoke out the exhaust
Old 02-03-2018, 11:06:11 PM
Registered-II

the photo of the pump shows the rack(throttle)in ''idle or nofuel position.
for easy starting ,move to fuel rack to maximum left position;put more tension on the throttle spring.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:18:09 AM
Registered

Thankyou moteurdelco I'm not sure if I opened it up all the way yesterday or not when I gave it a few cranks. I usually always do but I may have forgot.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:02:28 AM
Registered

Well she's running! I think the oil ring is stuck or broke it has a lot of blow by in the crankcase and is slobbering a little oil out the exhaust.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:11:25 AM
Registered

Hi Brian

That peep hole is to take away any leaking fuel oil from the fuel pump element if there is a lot coming out suggest pump needs servicing or renewing. Early engines had a small pipe connected to the pump bracket door and a drip tray. Later engines had a blank door with the gasket having a slot into to allow any leaking fuel to go into crankcase. Jim Perkins ex Petters