Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Engines

Ruston & Hornsby 1 VYO

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1040 times

Old 06-20-2018, 07:01:38 PM
Registered

Default Ruston & Hornsby 1 VYO

Thanks for allowing me to join the group.
I have a Ruston & Hornsby 1 VYO diesel engine. I can date the engine somewhere between 1938 to 1945. This is about as much information that I can find on the internet. I have gotten the engine to fire by spraying fuel into the intake. This last for a few seconds. What I need is some technical information on this engine, manual or an instruction book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_125600_1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	312777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_125615.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	312778  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2018, 09:24:14 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ruston & Hornsby 1 VYO

Hello RayB,
Good to see another Ruston resurrection. Seems not far from living again. There is a register of R&H engines in Australia maintained by Tom and Kym Lingard. They may be contacted on 0437 820 289. Tom has records and dates for engines shipped to Australia, and may be able to refer you to the British authority Ray Hooley who may be able to supply copies of manuals etc, for a fee.
Believe the fuel injection gear on those earlier Rustons was built by them, and now near impossible to find or repair. Later gear was by other makers, and your chances are better.
There is a forum member here named Oil Power, from Victoria with long experience in such equipment, and I am sure he could be helpful.
The plate on your engine is the same style as my 3VQ from 1930's/40's so you are in that era. Kind regards,
Combustor.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:22:38 AM
Registered-I

Hello RayB.
Don't know that I can live up to Combustor's recommendation but will give some comments. Have you bled the fuel system properly? You should hear the injector "Creak" on every second turn of the crank. The pump rack must be in the full fuel position. If no sound from injector, loosen injector pipe and check you get a discharge from injector pump on each stroke. If not bleed air from pump. If injector remains silent it may be faulty. If the fuel system is OK and you get white smoke it is a sign of low compression. A little prime with some lube oil in the intake may assist, but not too much as you could flood the engine and lock it up. Please report back to let us know how you go. I will check if i have a VYO manual but do have manuals for other similar models.
Hugh
Old 08-11-2018, 08:39:47 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I only found them today. I also got the engine running today as well. I have rigged up a fuel supply that lasts for 5 minutes. Ran engine with some old oil and automatic transmission fluid to flush out the sludge. The engine now srarts easily and runs smoothly with good oil pressure. I just have to make a oil return line and a cooling tank and it will be good to go. Engine can be seen running on the Roseberry Engine Facebook site. Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:01:38 AM
Registered-II

Hello RayB,
Congratulations on bringing another great old Ruston back to life. Imagine it should spin along very smoothly with that massive pair of flywheels. Glad to hear the injection gear was all OK. Looks like it was of the Bosch design, and not one of their own. Be sure it is fitted with a very good fuel filter, and enjoy running it, maybe find some work for it? Regards,
Combustor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combustor For This Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 06:11:40 AM
Registered-II

Nice running engines, i've got two green ones like yours and a nice dark purple one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 08:40:13 AM
Registered

Thank you. The fuel filter is a must. I have a CAV filter that came with the engine. I just need to make the fuel lines to connect it all together. Will put a plastic inline filter as well. I also have a old Wosley overhead shearing gear as well, would look good driving that.
The Following User Says Thank You to RayB For This Post: