Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

6hp Reid

this thread has 76 replies and has been viewed 17161 times

Old 11-29-2005, 08:52:59 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,531 Times in 1,630 Posts
Default Re: 6hp Reid

I was told that the word "POWER" was a term used instead "POWER HOUSE" . Just a little easier and shorter to say. It included the eccentric. the wheel, the engine, the shed, the water barrel, the barker and all supporting equipment inside. Don't know, but that is what I was told on a tour of the "POWER'S" in southern IL. The person that still keeps them running also refers to them as a power. I call them amazing! When you see them it's like stepping back in time. Hope to go back to Oblong next year and see them again. Y'all be careful. Fred
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2005, 02:04:00 AM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: 6hp Reid

We havent heard from Kautreena in a few weeks I wonder how the progress is going with the preservation? If any of you make your way to Tulsa and want to see my Power House let me know and I will be more than happy to show you. I havent got the engine running yet, to many irons in the fire ya know. But it is complete and alot of fun. And if there is anyone that would like to lend a hand please let me know As you can imagine its quite the project to tackle by my self.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:21:36 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToolman
katrina, that is a real beauty! I am envious. you are verry lucy to own that old girl. Take good care of her
Hi Toolman,
Thank you, I am lucky to have her. I still haven't gotten her home because she is still going to be running two wells where she is. Trying to get all the wells together with jacks and such is causing a delay in her coming home. Don't be envious, I am sure if you love the engines you will be blessed with one someday. Well have to go thanks for the reply.
Kautreena
Old 12-06-2005, 02:24:44 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Van Hook
I was told that the word "POWER" was a term used instead "POWER HOUSE" . Just a little easier and shorter to say. It included the eccentric. the wheel, the engine, the shed, the water barrel, the barker and all supporting equipment inside. Don't know, but that is what I was told on a tour of the "POWER'S" in southern IL. The person that still keeps them running also refers to them as a power. I call them amazing! When you see them it's like stepping back in time. Hope to go back to Oblong next year and see them again. Y'all be careful. Fred
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the information, You are going to Oblong next year. I use to live there. The air didn't smell too good well... unless you liked rotten eggs. And the winters were horrible. Had my horses locked in a barn and they still had ice hanging from their whiskers. What are you going to go see out there?

Kautreena
Old 12-06-2005, 02:28:49 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Waggonner
We havent heard from Kautreena in a few weeks I wonder how the progress is going with the preservation? If any of you make your way to Tulsa and want to see my Power House let me know and I will be more than happy to show you. I havent got the engine running yet, to many irons in the fire ya know. But it is complete and alot of fun. And if there is anyone that would like to lend a hand please let me know As you can imagine its quite the project to tackle by my self.
Hey Doug,
Thank you for wondering about me. Just been busy with college and all. The 6hp isn't home yet, she is still going to be running two wells for a bit. It is hard to get all the wells set up quickly. I hope to bring her to the farm in the spring or maybe not until summer because of where she is located. Needs to be dry or frozen. How far are you on completing the power house?
See you later Doug, and thanks once again for wondering where I was.
Kautreena
Old 12-06-2005, 04:51:53 PM
Registered-III

The thing that everybody is wondering about is wether you're a chick or not . A girl with a baby Reid , now `THAT` is pretty cool . Chuck

http://royalcrossfarm.com/REID.html ------> REID BITS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REIDMARKERKLIEN.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	5415  
Old 12-06-2005, 05:28:13 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerogas
The thing that everybody is wondering about is wether you're a chick or not . A girl with a baby Reid , now `THAT` is pretty cool . Chuck

http://royalcrossfarm.com/REID.html ------> REID BITS
Hi Chuck,
Yep, I am female. now that it is cleared up. I am going to go check out the royalcrossfarm. Catch you guys later.

Kautreena pronounced Katrina
Old 12-06-2005, 06:50:41 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: 6hp Reid

My dad was a pumper for south penn. he was a roustabout so he ran all the powers in the area. when the regular guy was on vacation or day off. Well, I grew up in a power house (many of them).Many storys to tell !! we called the place a power house-- but we refered to the power house as jim's power or harrys' power . & so on.
Then I was hired , It was a given back then.
lots a work.. but not much pay..
still I kinda miss it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:11:30 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToolman
My dad was a pumper for south penn. he was a roustabout so he ran all the powers in the area. when the regular guy was on vacation or day off. Well, I grew up in a power house (many of them).Many storys to tell !! we called the place a power house-- but we refered to the power house as jim's power or harrys' power . & so on.
Then I was hired , It was a given back then.
lots a work.. but not much pay..
still I kinda miss it.
Hi Toolman,
A lot of my relatives, Grandfather, Great Grandfather, Uncles, and such have worked on wells, pullin rigs, drilling rigs, as pumpers, and such... Most of them are dead now so I can't go back and ask them the questions. I wish now that I had went with them or listened more closely. It always is a lot of work.
Kautreena
Old 12-07-2005, 02:19:35 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,479 Times in 4,186 Posts
Question Re: 6hp Reid

Kautreena,
How much oil are the wells producing a day? do you have any problems with natural gas, and is that what supplies the engines? thanks fior the info, and the info on your efforts.
Andrew
Old 12-07-2005, 10:39:16 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey
Kautreena,
How much oil are the wells producing a day? do you have any problems with natural gas, and is that what supplies the engines? thanks fior the info, and the info on your efforts.
Andrew
Hello Andrew
The wells make anywhere from eight inches to a foot a week, no there is no problems with natural gas. Yes that is what supplies the engines. What are your endevors lately Andrew?
Kautreena
Old 12-07-2005, 12:49:49 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kautreena
Hey Doug,
Thank you for wondering about me. Just been busy with college and all. The 6hp isn't home yet, she is still going to be running two wells for a bit. It is hard to get all the wells set up quickly. I hope to bring her to the farm in the spring or maybe not until summer because of where she is located. Needs to be dry or frozen. How far are you on completing the power house?
See you later Doug, and thanks once again for wondering where I was.
Kautreena
I will be in your area after the 1st of the year on bussiness and would love to see your power house while its still workin' . And IF the weather isnt TOO nasty? My power house is in pretty good shape. I've been slowly cleaning it up on the inside and sorting all of the tools and other goodies that have been left there over the years. The engine needs a valve job, and freeze crack in the head needs to be brazed. I do have electricity in the building so it helps ALOT with lighting and power tools! In the next few weeks I'll take alot of pics of the progress.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:53:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,531 Times in 1,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kautreena
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the information, You are going to Oblong next year. I use to live there. The air didn't smell too good well... unless you liked rotten eggs. And the winters were horrible. Had my horses locked in a barn and they still had ice hanging from their whiskers. What are you going to go see out there?

Kautreena
Sorry so late with the reply,but really been busy with Christmas, work and my wife had surgery. Oblong Il has a great engine show. Last year I was there (2004) there were a lot of engines. The club there has nice display of oilengines and there is also a tour you can take of 3 working "powers". There is one 25 H.P. Superior and two 35 H.P. Superiors. All pulling multipul wells. I'm planning on going this year if all goes well.(2006) Don't know what I'm taking yet, but will be determined by what I have running. If you get a chance come on over and enjoy the show. Be sure to keep us posted on the baby Reid!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:16:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,479 Times in 4,186 Posts

Hi Kautreena,
My latest project, a Charter-Mietz Oil Engine, is just about complete. It needs some polishing, and a few details to really finish up. So far I have had it to 3 shows, and it has been a real attention getter. I am going to try to get it to Jacktowns (Blue Mtn) 'Snow Show' in Bangor PA, on Saturday 1/21/06 I have submitted an artical on its restoration to The Gas Engine Magazine, and they said they will publish as a 5 part artical. As they are on part 2 of another 5 parter - I don't expect to see it in print before June, at the least. It was a fun project, and I am still looking for history and details on this particular engine. From what I have been told so far - this particular engine seems to be unique. Of the 3 other Charter-Mietz's known (and 3 others I have heard about), mine seems to be an odd-ball. If anyone has one, or knows of one, please let me know about it. How is your Reid project coming? Does the cold weather affect your operations? Keep warm!
Andrew
Old 01-11-2006, 11:48:10 AM
Registered-I

Drake Well Museum has many boxes of manuscript material for the Joseph Reid Gas Engine Company. You can email us your SPECIFIC research request to : www.drakewell.org. "Any information you have" is way too broad.
Thanks.
Sue
Old 11-11-2010, 10:48:31 PM
Registered-II

Hi everyone I am back and I still have the 6h reid. Not much done to her been seriously ill. Not looking to live long but then everyone has to go sometime. Took me a while to understand that.
What is new does anyone else have a 6 h reid or any more information on it.
By the way the patch is factory. Believe it or not.
anyways hi.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,072 Times in 651 Posts

I am sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well. I do not know what your sickness is, however, I am glad you have made peace with your station in life and understand that there are things worse than death. If I can help, drop me a line. Jeff
Old 11-12-2010, 03:03:47 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,089 Times in 477 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your health. If the worst was to happen, what would occur to the lease and engine? Are they willed to someone/some organization?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:19:06 PM
Registered-III

Its so sad to hear this news I really dont know what to say?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:45:09 AM
Registered-II

Not surprised re. the factory patch so the casting wouldn't be a total waste. Sorry to hear about your health.

As for what to say. Anyone can say a prayer from anywhere from any faith, I will.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Anderson For This Post: