Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

6hp Reid

this thread has 76 replies and has been viewed 16985 times

Old 10-25-2005, 10:57:03 AM
Registered-II

Photo Re: 6hp Reid

Anyone living close to southern ohio will remember the bad storms in 97. Those storms took my two story barn,twisted my two story house, and wrecked the old powerhouse bringing it down on top of the Reid. Now if I can learn to up load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 hp reid sad.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	4618   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch good.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	4619   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	4620  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2005, 11:33:22 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: 6hp Reid

Hi Boogie,
Didn't find my cable but I did find the cd of the 97 storms and on it is a few pics of the power after the storms hit. That was a mess that year. As for video. I talked to the guys and they are going to leave the last two wells hooked up to her and start her up so I can video it. The jacks are down there and the motors are ready to be put on. so she is going from seven wells to two shortly but I will be able to get video of it soon. Maybe I will look into buying a new cable for my digital. I would lose my head if it was not attached
Old 10-25-2005, 12:56:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kautreena
hi Jerry
You know that is kinda confusing to me. Looks like they would have done each hp with its own set of numbers, but for the company that was building them I guess that was easy. Build it stamp it and out the door.
Howdy,
The papers I have seen seem to indicate that Reid was most concerned with how much Horsepower they produced in a given time. For example, Preadventure if in 1909 they built two 15 Hp. engines the record would indicate production as "Total Horsepower produced = 30"
This was something I found very facinating.
Russell Farmer
Old 10-25-2005, 01:19:19 PM
Registered-II

hi Russell,
Where do you guys find all this information? That is a cool fact to know. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:11:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,136 Times in 851 Posts

Whoa !!! What's with all the boiler plate & rivets ? Looks like maybe someone has put the saltwater to her ! I've got a 15 reid sitting in my rock garden that saltwater got ... not a pretty sight.

PS .. glad I finally figgerd out that this 6hp is an engine ... not a pumping power.

~Glenn
Old 10-25-2005, 11:14:13 PM
Registered-II

HI Glen,
I don't know what you are talking about when you said boiler plates. You lost me Remember I have not been in this that long All I can tell you is what you are looking at is factory, why it is done that way I have not a clue. Those are not rivits they are bolts. Maybe I can get a close up for you so you can see it. But if anyone would have an explaination on why this would come factory like this then I would appreciate the input.
Ok yes the 6hp Reid is an engine but if you look it has the belt and that leds over to the turntable. I will have more recent pics soon of it. This engine and the turntable and the shakle lines run the wells. I have been around a lot of old timers and they called it a power. So am I wrong? I am so sorry for being so stupid on this subject, but you guys are helping me a lot. Thanks
Kautreena
Old 10-26-2005, 01:22:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kautreena
hi Russell,
Where do you guys find all this information? That is a cool fact to know. Thanks.
Those particular papers came by way of two good friends, the late Harry Horner obtained some of it through the Drake Well Museum and myself by way of his partner and friend John Burns, of Burns & Horner Co. Reid models fame.

Baisically any info I have accumulated is from friends willing to share with me.

Russell Farmer
Old 10-26-2005, 09:23:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,136 Times in 851 Posts

Oh no Kautreena .... maybe I'm wrong ... it's just that I've always heard the eccentric was called a "power"... or a "pumping power". Your early posts kept mentioning a "power" ... but never an "engine" ... so I thought you were referring to an eccentric. Just some mix-up on my part ... of folks using different terminology.
The bolts & plate .... I mentioned this because I've seen cracked/damaged cylinders repaired this way ... but never saw one that came from the factory. Although I'm not sure if I can say that I've ever seen a 6hp reid . Maybe there was one at Sistersville several years ago when I used to show there ???
Just asking .. but what makes you think it is original ? Do you know the complete history of this engine ? >> THAT would be Wayyyyy Cool !
BTW .. thanks for posting the pictures !!!! I just love this stuff !

Here's a couple pix of my yard ornament.

~Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reid 1.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	4633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reid 2.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	4634  
Old 10-26-2005, 09:35:30 AM
Email Not Working

it didn't come from the factory like that, someone put that on there years ago,
it was common practice to bolt plates onto the cylinders of engines with water cracks, our 12bessemer has one and several hundred other engines have them as well.

i would hate to think how long it took tha old pumper to do that, he probably had to use an old brace and bit and then thread it!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:10:20 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Farmer
Those particular papers came by way of two good friends, the late Harry Horner obtained some of it through the Drake Well Museum and myself by way of his partner and friend John Burns, of Burns & Horner Co. Reid models fame.

Baisically any info I have accumulated is from friends willing to share with me.

Russell Farmer
Hi Russell
I see, sorta like what you guys are doing for me. I thank you all for the information you are giving me. Truly I do.
Thanks
Kautreena