Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Working Engines?

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2891 times

Old 01-09-2006, 10:13:57 PM
Registered-II

Default Working Engines?

I started out a couple of years ago looking for a good backup generator powered by a reliable, slow speed engine. To date, I haven't found anything but I do have lots of knowledge mainly due to terrific sites like this. I have looked at the old english iron (Li$ter$) and the questionable Indian listers but haven't looked at any of the North American engines because I always considered them "show" engines only.
Here's my question. Who out there is actually using their slow speed, double flywheel engines in the 3 - 6 hp range for a work engine, instead of a show engine. I see a 3hp IHC, a 3hp FMZ a 4hp Gray and a 3hp Fairbanks Morse advertised on the classifieds. Is there a "best" engine for using for long term, power generation?
Sorry if these are dumb questions but I had to ask.
Stan
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2006, 10:21:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 474 Posts
Default Re: Working Engines?

Look for a Witte diesel generator set.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:24:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,607 Times in 1,144 Posts

I would think that the Witte diesel like Tom mentioned would be a good choice, and the 208 etc. ZC Fairbanks engines. They are still commonly used on the smaller oil wells in the midwest, and they can be bought for fairly cheap.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:25:31 PM
Sponsor

Ditto, look for a Witte Diesel set, or call Arrow Engine Co for a modern rig that will outlive you.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:22:24 PM
Registered-II

Hi Stans

I use my Witte genset every day for at least 2 hours to top off the batteries. I'm completely off the power grid and I've gone through all of the usual gas genset horrors and finally found a Witte 4 hrs single 1200 rpm with a 2.7 kva genset factory built onto it. It's an AD model whhich is getting harder to find. If there's another one ont there, pick it up before the seller changes their nind or esle send them my way> I buy another one in a heartbeat. After the batteries are charged at the house I sometimes keep it running for a few days in a row when it get's really cold out ( -40 to -50C ) just so it's not to hard on it to start it when it's that cold. I keep the fuel in the shed with it to keep the fuel warm for the air circulating around it and it has never given me a problem other than the fuel pump quit at @-40. I bypassed it right away and hung a jerry can of diesel just above the motor and it ran flawlessly. Since then I've put the fuel drum up higher than the motor and jsut carried on. That was two years ago already. It is an amazing piece of machiney and with proper feeding and watering it will certainly outlive me. It was built in 1937 and was used on the Alaska highway for power to the maintence camps for many years and then ended up at a cabin in Teslin Yukon for a number of years before power was put through to that area. I've used it for 7 years everyday since then and I've also picked up a BD Witte which is 900 RPM which I'm using right now to send to this email and I also have a CD ( 750 rpm) in parts that I may fix up or just keep around for a decoration. Check out my previous postings with the name bushm0nkey to see how I have things set up here. I also put the exhaust underground for both units and you can hardly hear them until you @50 feet away and it's no louder than a car idleing. Witte away

Dan
Old 01-12-2006, 03:02:18 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Dan....Great reply. I guess I've had the impression these engines had all been restored and mounted on fancy trailors to be towed to shows and run occasionally to demo them. I might be on the right track then in looking for some North American made engines which are much easier to find instead of focussing on the british iron.
Stan
Old 01-13-2006, 11:20:09 PM
Registered-III

We use a Lister Diesel on a 32 volt portable shearing plant around the farm all the time, and if you can get a Lister Diesel they are super reliable very well built very well governed and parts backup is good (well its good here anyway, and Canada should be alright). There are a lot of Lister 240 volt (our standard) lighting plants in use over here and they all work well.
You will not get a better built small diesel than a Lister, Listeroid (Indian, is another story entirely)
There is at least six other Listers operating in my area driving water pumps and power saws, most were taken off power generators when the electricity grid came through here in the 1970s. These are being operated by farmers not enthusiests, and they are still running 30 years later with very little in the way of maintenance or repairs.

Goodluck
Graham
Old 01-14-2006, 10:44:04 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts
Talking Re: Working Engines?

This didn't start off to be a working engine, but when I swapped a fellow engine guy for the Leland 120 Volt AC 2.5 kW generator head, the little Stover DV-2 just gravitated to it.

It's now awaiting power failures. Still cuter'n a speckled pup!

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-04A.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	6295  
Old 01-14-2006, 01:21:29 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the reply on the Listers Graham...I'd love to find a "real" Lister somewhere here in western Canada but they are scarcer than honest politicians.

Eldon, you're right, that Stover is cute. What hp will it realistically put out?
Stan
Old 01-14-2006, 01:30:09 PM
Registered-II

Tnx for the really great write-up on restoring the little Stover. I read it thoroughly and got the info I wanted on the hp. Impressive!
Stan