Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 13087 times

Old 02-15-2006, 10:22:38 PM
Registered-III

Photo Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Hello all,

Just arrived home from the trip to Kansas to pick up my newest toy .

http://members.aol.com:/keith0alan/images/ajax1.jpg

http://members.aol.com:/keith0alan/images/ajax2.jpg

It's stuck and will need lots of work but it looks to be pretty much all there. Does anyone have serial number to year built information?

Thanks,

keithw
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2006, 11:44:33 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,455 Times in 4,166 Posts
Question Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Looks like a neat piece ! How heavy is it?
Andrew
Old 02-16-2006, 11:53:27 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

It is reported to be about 5000 pounds . Need to call my favorate fork lift rental place and see about renting the 10k one again. A bit bigger project than my Hercules. Should keep be busy for a while.

keithw
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50:06 PM
Registered-III

Keith, Glad to hear you got the engine home ok. Man, that is one serious flywheel! You mentioned it is a crosshead design. Would love to see some pictures when you open it up. Sounds like a neat design I also like your trailer, looks like it would easily haul a oilfield engine cross country. Jim..
Old 02-17-2006, 11:18:25 AM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

I look for these semi-early Ajax engines to become more popular with collector's in the next couple of years. Ajax engines are really an "old school" designed engine! A true Side Shaft, Cross Head, 2 cycle, and even a mechinacial oiler! And Ajax engines have a sound all their own! And when you get them tuned in right, they will run SLOOOOW. I think what kills the looks is the radiator on top of the engine. BUT, its just mounted there for convence, it can be moved or REmoved! These make some really good lookin' tank/screen cooled engines.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:53:52 AM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

I've got a ton of other things to do but I couldn't resist messing with it a bit. Took my can of Kroil and some tools and attacked it. It has a remote oiler for the piston since the inline power/charge cylinder is sealed from the crank case. The bolts holding the oiler cover on the cylinder came right off . Looked inside and there was the piston. That means the ports are closed and hopefully no critters in the combustion chamber . Didn't see any rust inside either, more good news. It's siezed so I need to figure out what is tight. Going to start applying some diesel/ATF mixture into the cylinder oil port. That should start to loosen things up. For a while I'll just be pulling access covers and looking around.

keithw
Old 02-17-2006, 10:53:17 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Pulled the crank end cover off and things look pretty good. Pulled the head off and things don't look so good.

http://members.aol.com:/keith0alan/images/ajax3.jpg

Lots of rust. The combustion chamber had been full of water for a long time. The side of the piston looks good so the damage is hopefully limited to this area. I put the head back on and poured diesel fuel/ATF soup in through the spark plug hole. Now I'm going to try to forget about it for a while and work on the other end. The cylinder is seperate from the crank case so it can be unbolted and hauled into the shop when it's time to work on it.

The fork lift will be here Wendesday so I need to finish welding the stand for it together.

keithw
Old 02-18-2006, 02:49:22 PM
Registered-III

Lightbulb Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Since the piston is close to the top of its stroke, this shouldnt be too big of a problem. And it may have not been water that caused all of the rust and crud. These engines are ran off the well head gas, and sometimes its a pretty nasty mixture of different gasses coming out of the well aka "sour gas". And Ajax engines are famous for running on BAD gas. They are quite common on old land fill's where they run off the gas of what ever is decomposing underneath . to generate elec. Here is a very informative site about Ajax's running on all sorts of fuels. www.ae198.dial.pipex.com/ajaxintro.html Enjoy!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:42:32 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for the information. Spent today and about half of yesterday putting together a bit to hold the flywheel off the ground once I get it off the trailer.

http://members.aol.com:/keith0alan/images/ajax4.jpg

Had quite a pile welding rod stubs when I got done.

Does anyone know what color these were painted originaly? Looks like it might have been black over a red primer. Inside the crank case is a very nice white. One thing sand cast iron does is sheds sand just about forever. Painting the inside keeps it in place and out of the bearings, a nice touch .

keithw
Old 02-19-2006, 09:36:48 PM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

If you look inside the old Kokler cast iron engines (as well as other quality engines), it is usually painted a red paint, similar to red primer in color. this paint was a sealer as well, not just primer. I heard the name of it a few years ago, but forget the trade name of the paint.
Andrew
Old 02-19-2006, 10:03:07 PM
Registered-III

Inside the crank case is painted white but the crank is a red. Looks just like the rusty metal red primer. The racing folks use stuff called Glypthol(spelling?) to paint the insides, but it is shiney. The idea being that it is smooth and the oil runs off rather than sticking to the porous cast iron.

So far the piston and cylinder looks like the real challange. The rest seems to be just fiddly bits, big bits for sure, but pretty straight forward.

keithw
Old 02-19-2006, 10:39:03 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Keith

You were asking the other day about what color was original on Ajax engines. My 6 1\2 X 8 Ajax appears to be originally black. But Ive sen several that were varous shades of green, and alot of then had the outer rim of the flywheel painted white. Which to me looks pretty cool, and it gives an illusion that the flywheel is bigger that it actually is . As for getting that piston un-stuck, all add my 2 cents of advice. If you have access to a small sand blaster and use some very light abrasive such as silica or even baking soda. Then blast off all of the rust and crud off of the cyl wall and off the top of the piston. Be careful doing this so you dont eat away at the cyl wall its self. And what had worked well for me as far as getting the piston unstuck on large engines is to loosen the rod bearing so you have just a little slack so you can rock the flywheel a little. Which will jar the piston a little and hopefully break the tension loose thats holding the piston in place. Now I dont mean jump on the flywheel and get mean with it, but just rock it back and forth. Since you can actually see the piston there under the throttle plate and you say it looks good there, there's probably not that much rust and crud holding that piston in there. And keep it soaking with oil and give it a few kind words And you'll have it whoop'd in no time! Keep up the good work!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:15:53 PM
Subscriber

I have a couple of 6˝ x 8 Ajax engines. The first two numbers of the serial number are the year of manufacture.
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...p=69667342&f=0
Old 02-20-2006, 02:34:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanks Ron and Doug for the information. That would put mine built in 1946. Sounds about right.

Good idea about rocking the flywheel to loosen the piston. Before I work on the piston too much I'm going to investigate the layshaft. I would hate to get the piston loose and then discover I've twisted off the layshaft because it was siezed up. It drives the water pump, oiler and magneto. None of them are hard to get to. I'm also thinking about the high pressure grease method. Another thought is to make a plate to put in place of the head and put a chunk of 4x4 between it and the piston. Then tighten the head nuts to press on the piston. Not sure that I would want to use the head to press on it.

keithw
Old 02-20-2006, 06:31:20 PM
Registered-I

Smile Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

be carefull pulling on the head studs . i have pulled the threads right out of the cylinder before .if you have any questions e-mail me tschupska@alltel.net or call 440-993-6618 (good luck)
Old 02-21-2006, 10:07:40 AM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

If the ports are closed, fill the cylender with Kero, or fuel oil - it will seep past the piston, and will help lube the piston for first movement. I freed a Charter - Mietz by the crank rock method. Also, putting air pressure on the kero - fuel, will help make the penetration go faster.
Andrew
Old 02-21-2006, 12:56:48 PM
Registered-III

Fortunatly the ports are closed. After I pulled the head and scooped out the loose rust I put it back on and filled the combustion chamber with my favorate brew, diesel fuel and ATF. I had thought about pressurizing with air. Good to hear from someone with some experience with that. My gut feeling is that I would prefer to push on the piston from the top rather than loosen the rod cap and rock the flywheel. Still thinking about it.

keithw
Old 02-22-2006, 04:30:21 PM
Registered-III

It's off the trailer. Even with a fork lift it was plenty of work.

http://members.aol.com:/keith0alan/images/ajax5.jpg

The next time it gets moved it will be in pieces. I think electrolysis is going to be my friend for a while.

So far I have not been able to find the rated HP for this engine. Any Ajax fans out there able to help? Looks like it should be around 30 but a documented number would be nice.

Thanks to everyone for the help,

keithw
Old 02-22-2006, 11:09:48 PM
Subscriber

Hello Keith, an 8 1/2 x 10 will be in the 42 horsepower range. These are very strong running engines.
Keep us updated on the progress.
Good luck with it
Allan
Old 02-23-2006, 12:50:10 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for the HP info. Thats pretty strong. Once I get it going I'll be looking for a generator to power with it. That will be a ways into the future. I'm goint to have to refurbish a lot of SU carbs (the hobby that pays for the other hobbies) before this one gets finished .

keithw