Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 12951 times

Old 02-15-2006, 10:22:38 PM
Registered-III

Photo Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Hello all,

Just arrived home from the trip to Kansas to pick up my newest toy .

http://members.aol.com:/keith0alan/images/ajax1.jpg

http://members.aol.com:/keith0alan/images/ajax2.jpg

It's stuck and will need lots of work but it looks to be pretty much all there. Does anyone have serial number to year built information?

Thanks,

keithw
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2006, 11:44:33 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,347 Times in 4,100 Posts
Question Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Looks like a neat piece ! How heavy is it?
Andrew
Old 02-16-2006, 11:53:27 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

It is reported to be about 5000 pounds . Need to call my favorate fork lift rental place and see about renting the 10k one again. A bit bigger project than my Hercules. Should keep be busy for a while.

keithw
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50:06 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Keith, Glad to hear you got the engine home ok. Man, that is one serious flywheel! You mentioned it is a crosshead design. Would love to see some pictures when you open it up. Sounds like a neat design I also like your trailer, looks like it would easily haul a oilfield engine cross country. Jim..
Old 02-17-2006, 11:18:25 AM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

I look for these semi-early Ajax engines to become more popular with collector's in the next couple of years. Ajax engines are really an "old school" designed engine! A true Side Shaft, Cross Head, 2 cycle, and even a mechinacial oiler! And Ajax engines have a sound all their own! And when you get them tuned in right, they will run SLOOOOW. I think what kills the looks is the radiator on top of the engine. BUT, its just mounted there for convence, it can be moved or REmoved! These make some really good lookin' tank/screen cooled engines.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:53:52 AM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

I've got a ton of other things to do but I couldn't resist messing with it a bit. Took my can of Kroil and some tools and attacked it. It has a remote oiler for the piston since the inline power/charge cylinder is sealed from the crank case. The bolts holding the oiler cover on the cylinder came right off . Looked inside and there was the piston. That means the ports are closed and hopefully no critters in the combustion chamber . Didn't see any rust inside either, more good news. It's siezed so I need to figure out what is tight. Going to start applying some diesel/ATF mixture into the cylinder oil port. That should start to loosen things up. For a while I'll just be pulling access covers and looking around.

keithw
Old 02-17-2006, 10:53:17 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Pulled the crank end cover off and things look pretty good. Pulled the head off and things don't look so good.

http://members.aol.com:/keith0alan/images/ajax3.jpg

Lots of rust. The combustion chamber had been full of water for a long time. The side of the piston looks good so the damage is hopefully limited to this area. I put the head back on and poured diesel fuel/ATF soup in through the spark plug hole. Now I'm going to try to forget about it for a while and work on the other end. The cylinder is seperate from the crank case so it can be unbolted and hauled into the shop when it's time to work on it.

The fork lift will be here Wendesday so I need to finish welding the stand for it together.

keithw
Old 02-18-2006, 02:49:22 PM
Registered-III

Lightbulb Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Since the piston is close to the top of its stroke, this shouldnt be too big of a problem. And it may have not been water that caused all of the rust and crud. These engines are ran off the well head gas, and sometimes its a pretty nasty mixture of different gasses coming out of the well aka "sour gas". And Ajax engines are famous for running on BAD gas. They are quite common on old land fill's where they run off the gas of what ever is decomposing underneath . to generate elec. Here is a very informative site about Ajax's running on all sorts of fuels. www.ae198.dial.pipex.com/ajaxintro.html Enjoy!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:42:32 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

Thanks for the information. Spent today and about half of yesterday putting together a bit to hold the flywheel off the ground once I get it off the trailer.

http://members.aol.com:/keith0alan/images/ajax4.jpg

Had quite a pile welding rod stubs when I got done.

Does anyone know what color these were painted originaly? Looks like it might have been black over a red primer. Inside the crank case is a very nice white. One thing sand cast iron does is sheds sand just about forever. Painting the inside keeps it in place and out of the bearings, a nice touch .

keithw
Old 02-19-2006, 09:36:48 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,347 Times in 4,100 Posts
Exclamation Re: Ajax 7 1/2 X 10, home from Kansas

If you look inside the old Kokler cast iron engines (as well as other quality engines), it is usually painted a red paint, similar to red primer in color. this paint was a sealer as well, not just primer. I heard the name of it a few years ago, but forget the trade name of the paint.
Andrew