Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin THD

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 6723 times

Old 03-28-2006, 10:21:23 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin THD

I have a THD Wisconsin with an Autolite distributor IGW 4199b. The gear on the bottom of the distributor went bad and I need to find a replacement gear. The gear on the end of the generator that drives the distributor doesn't look much better either. Anyone have any suggestions on replacement gears or possibly a magneto that will fit in its place? I'm new to this site so be gentle please...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2006, 11:33:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,590 Times in 728 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin THD

According to my manual the electric starter, generator and distributor were optional accessories, furnished only upon request when engine was purchased, and couldn't be mounted in the field unless provision was made when the engine was ordered. I don't know if that means you could still install the standard magneto in place of the generator/battery ignition. Anyway, looks like there was a choice of magnetos - Wico XH-2531C or Fairbanks-Morse Type FM-X1-2B7-1.

Distributor drive gear is GE-58. Distributor follower gear is GK-36.

I doubt if these part numbers are still current but a dealer could likely cross them to new numbers if the parts are still available.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Sherlock; 03-28-2006 at 11:40:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:10:43 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,349 Times in 4,102 Posts
Exclamation Re: Wisconsin THD

The distributer and drive mounting had to be machined at the factory - thats why the manual says it cannot be field fit. By the same token, you now have to replace these parts, with these, or similar parts. Field replacement, should not be too hard, because the machine work is already done. I do not think you can retro the mag, as the machine work has been done to accept the distributer. There may be clearance problems with the original mag mounting, with the engine's current application, therefore, the distributer and coil set-up. You may want to see what destroyed the gears in the first place - dirt, poor maintainance, lack of lubrication? (do you have to grease or oil every 25 Hrs?)
Andrew
Old 03-30-2006, 10:43:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: Wisconsin THD

I would say the lack of grease was the culprit. I know it wont happen again if I locate the two gears that I need. It looks as thought I might be able to salvage the generator if I can get a replacement brass bushing for the end of the generator near the distributor. Thank you all for your wealth of information that you have provided about the THD.