Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid / Prony Brake pictures

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 3311 times

Old 07-03-2006, 03:53:59 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,166 Times in 757 Posts
Default Reid / Prony Brake pictures

Bruce Babcock asked us to put up these pictures of a Reid engine on the Prony Brake on the 26th June.

Bruce's description of the events follows:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
The pictures were taken on June 25, 2006 at the National Threshers show at Wauseon, Ohio. In the photos, Lowell Baker is the owner of the engine and is assisted by John Androvich, Joel Samuelson is reading the RPM of the brake with a hand-held tachometer, Robby Baughman is recording the data, and I am operating the brake. After taking 16 readings, at increasing torque values, I calculated the horsepower at each reading using a vintage 20-inch Keufel and Esser slide rule. The theme of my exhibit is "Measuring Horsepower as it Was Done a Hundred Years Ago."

The pulley on the Reid was too narrow to transmit the full power of the engine, but we were able to get good readings up to 9.5 horsepower with the brake turning 66 RPM. At that speed the scale on the brake registered 140 lbs. (Approximately 730 foot- pounds. The torque at the engine would have been less than this because of the small size of the pulley.) The engine does not have a governor, so Lowell had to adjust his Briggs & Stratton carburetor manually as we increased the load. (I chided him when we were done that his governor seemed to be acting rather erratically.) We started the test at 60 lbs. on the scale with the brake turning 65 RPM. This equates to 3.9 horsepower. I failed to record the diameter of the pulley on the Reid so I don't know the speed of the engine. The pulley was rather small, so the speed would have been greater than the speed of the brake.

It was impressive to hear the Reid come to life as it handled the light load. The photos don't show the size of the small crowd that gathered to watch our experiment. Lowell Baker was certainly, and justifiably, pleased with the performance of his fine engine. I think I can speak for many people when I say "Thank you." to Lowell for what he contributed to making the show more interesting.

The photos were taken by Tricia Baughman.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prony1.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	9978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prony2.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	9979