Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Back on the Ajax again

this thread has 70 replies and has been viewed 12984 times

Old 09-21-2006, 11:39:54 PM
Registered-III

Photo Back on the Ajax again

Hello all,

Finished uo a couple of other chores and started working on the Ajax 7 1/2 x 10 again. Here's how it looked when I uncovered it.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax22.jpg

Took a bunch of bits off but it got dark before I could get another picture. I'll get one tomorrow. Hope to have it all apart within a week. Then I'll clean and paint the crank case. Once that's done I can say that I'm in the reassembly stage. Not that the other parts can go back on till they are cleaned. There is a lot to like about this engine. Not too many parts and they are all real big. Once the rusted up side shaft stuff was loose it turns over very smoothly and easily.

keithw
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2006, 09:39:20 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Back on the Ajax again

I just acquired a Superior type CM 6 1/2 X 8. According to the brass tag, it was "Manufactured by National Supply Company, Superior Engine Division, Springfield, Ohio. Made In U.S.A" <p> It looks almost exactly like your Ajax, including the clutch and water pump. The cast clutch arm was apparently broken at some point and replaced with a welded up plate steel subsitute. It seems to work OK, but I'd really like to find an original cast bracket that would fit. It doesn't give a horsepower rating, but I figure it's in the 16 to 18 HP range. I also got an Ajax EA 22 of about 1974 vintage from the same seller. It is 22 HP, and the same bore/stroke as the obviously much older Superior, and runs at 350-650 RPM instead ofthe 300-600 RPM of the older engine. The newer Ajax has a very similar frame and general layout to the older one, but the peripherals are all different in detail, and the older engine has a much lighter flywheel that looks more like a typical antique hit-miss engine. The newer Ajax has a massive flywheel that is typical of all "modern" Ajax engines that I have seen, and it has an electric starter and Twindisc type clutch. The old engine doesn't have any kind of starter, nor does it have a place for a crank to fit, but it does have a cover plate on the cam box that suggests that an air-start rig may have been available for it.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:18:33 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Back on the Ajax again

Well, here's a picture with most of the easy stuff taken off.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax23.jpg

The flywheel is being a chore. That is a Simplex railroad jack that was used to lift rail cars and such, a serious screw jack. I'm heating things up with the 80,000 BTU/HR turbo jet engine space heater. It's not off yet but I expect to get it today.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax24.jpg

The later Ajax engines had an optional air start and even later had an optional electric start. The older ones were either hand started by turning the flywheel or with an external electric starter that had a rubber wheel that ran on the outside of the flywheel. I think that I will put together a 5 horse Briggs and some mini bike bits to make a starter cart thing.

This one is rated at 400 RPM for 20 HP. The more modern version is 600 RPM and 30 HP. The older Ajax also did away with the water pump and simply thermosyphened. Seems the pump wasn't really necessary.

keithw
Old 09-23-2006, 10:32:51 PM
Registered-III

Talking Re: Back on the Ajax again

Oh happy day . After about five gallons of propane and some hard cranking the flywheel moved. Only about a quarter inch, but, as we know, that first bit means you're home free. I'll get the engine crane to hold it up and jack it the rest of the way off tomorrow. Then the rest of the clutch comes off and into the guts I go.

keithw
Old 09-23-2006, 11:17:14 PM
Registered-III

thank you very much ketih for keeping us up to date on your progress on your ajax and i can't wait to see the pictures when it is all done. are you writing a story for G.E.M. about the restoration?

jordan
Old 09-24-2006, 07:34:04 AM
Registered-III

I'm having fun with it and don't mind sharing. Hadn't thought about writing an article. I'll try to keep the documentation up so that can be an option.

keithw
Old 09-24-2006, 07:48:09 AM
DanR

The space heater is a great idea. I'm going to try it. Are you directing the heat to the outside rim or is it just the camara angle?
Keep us posted on this. DanR
Old 09-24-2006, 04:24:37 PM
Registered-II

hi keith
just woundering if you ever go the piston un stuck on that ajax
Old 09-24-2006, 10:02:22 PM
Registered-III

I did get the piston unstuck. Took the piston and cylinder to Oklahoma City on my trip in the spring and had the cylinder sleeved. It's slightly under size to allow for the piston wear.

The heater is pointing at the rim. If you just heat the hub the spokes get longer, push against the rim and make the hub tighter. Heating the rim expands it, pulls on the spokes and loosens the hub. I just kept turning the flywheel a bit every half hour or so till the entire thing was warmed up from the outside in.

The flywheel came off early this AM . When folks talk about things weighing a ton they usually are streaching it a bit. This thing may not weigh a ton but I bet it's not far off. More than a little scary to handle. And it wouldn't have the decency to kill you outright. It would pin you to the ground and make you suffer for a while.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax25.jpg

Cup o hot tea at the ready it's time to attack the side shaft stuff.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax26.jpg

big gears and big bearings

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax27.jpg

Connecting rod, cross head and piston rod seal. The con rod big end and small end bearings are in good condition. Most things are coming apart pretty easy. The ones that aren't are being a real pain.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax28.jpg

It's getting there. The clutch is being the afore mentioned real pain.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax29.jpg

View from the cylinder end, past the cross-head slide and out the back

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax30.jpg

Next is getting the clutch off. Then some serious pressure washing and out comes the crank. It's looking like the inside will only need a good cleaning and then reassembly. Some ( alright, all) of those bearings look like they would be pricey to replace.

keithw

P.S. That's a friends Aeronca Champ, built in 1946. He's borrowing a bit of space to do a some of work on it.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:44:02 PM
Registered-III

Doing the Egyptian thing to move it across the patio to start cleaning. The clutch is being a real bear . Figured I'd start doing some cleaning between working on it.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax31.jpg

It seems like the big gear on the flywheel side just slides on. Can anyone confirm or deny this? It's not loose but hopefully a little heat will free it up.

keithw
Old 09-26-2006, 06:47:35 PM
Registered-III

I gave up on the allthread and plate method and got serious.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax32.jpg

Still hasn't moved and there is a scary amount of tension on the chain. I should be able to get at least 10k lbs of tension on the thing. Think I'll hose it down with my favorite snake oil and go back to cleaning for a while.

keithw
Old 09-26-2006, 08:34:34 PM
Registered-III

just curious keith what is the diameter of the crank shaft? it looks like its a huge one.

jordan
Old 09-26-2006, 08:54:43 PM
Registered-III

3" on the pulley side and 4.25" on the crankshaft side. The sleeve over the crankshaft that holds the clutch disk is just not cooperating. Rust is a mighty force. Hate the idea of destroying it to get it off. The jack does not seem to be getting harder to crank. I suspect the chain may be stretching .Cleaned on the inside of the crankcase. A bit of sludge but not too bad. Mineral spirits, some brushing and wiping has pretty much taken care of it.

keithw
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10:43 PM
Registered-III

Keith. Looks like you are making good progress now that you have finished restoring the garden tractor. I have a 18 hp FBM with a similar clutch setup. but the friction and pressure plate were gone. The inner sleeve had 2 set screws that had been coated over with rust and old grease. They were at 90 degrees from each other. Have you tried heating the sleeve while applying pressure. Maybe a locking ring behind the backing plate. Maybe Doug W. has a parts manual that shows the exploded view so you can see if you have missed a fastener somewhere. Keep up the good fight, Jim.
PS. 8 wire wheels on the Reid so far and still cleaning!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:44:41 PM
Registered-III

All I could find is one set screw and a square key. I'm pulling on it real hard. The chain links started out 2.150" long, now they are 2.200" I assume I'm exceeding the 5000 lb working load somewhat. The clutch was very rusty and it may simply not come off in one piece. I've got a book on these engines but this clutch predates them. I've gotten the timing gear off so I think that I'll go ahead and pull the crank. I'll keep soaking the clutch and heat cycling it. Once I get done with the wire brush thing on the crankcase I'll make a decision on the clutch. I may be able to slit it down the key slot enough to get it loose. Then I might be able to weld it back together. Another option is to get another clutch. I expect that a newer one would fit and be easier to find than an original.

Looking forward to seeing that Reid running. I won't venture a guess as to the one that starts first .

keithw
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32:33 AM
Registered-III

The clutch is still stuck but I did make some progress.

Side cover off, sure glad those bearings are good. I'll check on the price .
http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax33.jpg

My photo teacher would have things to say about this one.
http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax34.jpg

The crank is out . Now to cleaning the case.
http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax35.jpg

keithw
Old 10-06-2006, 12:19:20 PM
Registered-III

Cleaning up the Ajax case. Hasn't rained here in months and guess when it decided to start? Just got done sand blasting. Got it under cover and only the bottom got wet.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax36.jpg

Must have beed a bad day at the Ajax plant for somebody. Several of the stud holes for one side cover have been repaired and moved. Must have had the drilling template in the wrong position. Perhaps Friday after lunch. I know we didn't do our best work then. Might have been the liquid lunch.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax37.jpg

Still don't have the clutch sleeve off. I'll be back at it once I get the case done.

keithw
Old 10-06-2006, 10:35:32 PM
Registered-III

looking good keith
Old 10-10-2006, 09:31:45 PM
Registered-III

The case has been blasted. Did a lot more than I originally intended but only the outside. The bottom has paint on it for what I suspect is the first time ever. There was no sign of paint or primer on the bottom. Looks like they sat it there and painted everything they could see. Once the bottom paint dries I'll lay it over on it's base and paint the rest. Once the paint is good and dry I'll pressure wash the inside and start working on getting all the sand out of it. Still haven't gotten the stuck clutch loose from the crankshaft. I really wanted to get the crank cleaned up and back in next. Might have to do some other things till I can get the clutch sorted.

keithw
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56:39 AM
Registered-III

Keith,
how did you get the flywheel off of the crank?