Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Bought another engine. Have ??

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2478 times

Old 09-26-2006, 11:08:39 PM
Registered-I

Default Bought another engine. Have ??

I bought another engine tonight and have a few questions. It is a fairbanks-morse 1 1/2 hp headless Z SN 268649. This is my first true hit and miss so it will be a learning experience getting it running. It is missing the magnito/ignitor assy, is this some worth looking for or even obtainable or should I just use the spark plug and coil type setup? The speed regulator handle is broken so i will need another one of these. The valve train looks okay except for it may need new valves as they are very thin on the margins, i have a valve grinding machine and also seat grinders. Also need a governor spring. The engine was about half taken apart so i will have to figgure out where things go and how they work. I got a repo manual with it that is of some help but not all i will need. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2006, 08:13:26 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Bought another engine. Have ??

I thought the Z's were throttle governed engines.................
Old 09-28-2006, 08:38:05 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,110 Times in 959 Posts

The headless Z engines are hit and miss. Be prepared to spend around $300 for a freshly rebuilt mag. I'm not sure what the ignitors go for. Provided you don't have a lot in the engine already, it's worth putting back to original. I've seen several headless Z's converted to spark plug and IMO they lack the class of one with an ignitor. I would recommend starting with Hit & Miss Enterprises as they have the best selection of F-M parts. Good luck with your project.

Mike
Old 09-29-2006, 03:42:53 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,095 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midpw View Post
I thought the Z's were throttle governed engines.................
I believe 6hp and up were throttled.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:29:02 PM
Subscriber

The Z Dishpan Were Either Throttle Or Hit And Miss. The Throttle Had A Magneto, And Hit And Miss Used Battery And T Coils. Dick.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:55:42 PM
Subscriber

Actually the headless fairbanks used a sumter no. 12 magneto, as did the 3 hp. ignitor t/g. Different gear though... I have seen dishpans with a buzz coil and batteries that were original.
Marvin,
I have a headless, 1916. You can obtain some parts from hit and miss enterprises, like the governor spring. There are two styles of ignitor trip assemblies, the newer ones were a two piece rod, making it adjustable. I hear the ignitor is specific to the trip assembly, but I'm not sure. Also, the bearings (main and rod) are the same as the 1 1/2 hp dishpan. There are still quite a few of these engines around, so parts are available, sometimes you just have to look real hard.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:01:20 PM
Registered-I

I bought a mag of of ebay sumpter #12 with no drive gear. I see a gear on ebay advertised for a 3hp throttle gov F/M it appears to be the same as the one for a 1 1/2hp with the same #142 cast into it. If it says 142 would it not be the same gear. The book says 138a-c for the igniter assy, does this sound right?Thanks.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:17:37 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
I bought a mag of of ebay sumpter #12 with no drive gear. I see a gear on ebay advertised for a 3hp throttle gov F/M it appears to be the same as the one for a 1 1/2hp with the same #142 cast into it. If it says 142 would it not be the same gear. The book says 138a-c for the igniter assy, does this sound right?Thanks.
Here is a cut/paste of an old post of mine regarding Fairbanks headles magneto and gear:

"My 'headless' uses a Sumter No. 12 rotary low tension mag with a 30 tooth drive gear that, on the side that I can see, has casting number DJ 142. The magneto mounting bolt holes are about 3-3/4" apart."

Here is someone elses photo:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...9&d=1116561629