Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Capped wells / stripper wells

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 10520 times

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,740 Posts
Default Re: Capped wells / stripper wells

As far as standing valves we just dropped them into the well at ground level and let gravity do the rest. Screwing onto one to get it back out was always great fun, we did it with a 24" pipe wrench walking around in circles and then pulling up to see if we screwed in or not. I saw a guy get his foot broke doing this once. We were passing the 24 back and forth as we were trying to screw on and it was getting pretty tight, I told the guy "it's pretty tight", he thought he was so much stronger than I was he just grabbed it and when I let go it jerked him back into the flow line. He tripped over the flow line and his feet went up in the air as the 24 was spinning around as the polish rod was back spinning. The 24 hit him right across the top of his foot and broke every bone.

Ah the memories.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reed Engine For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01:00 PM
Subscriber

I too work in the Oli Industry, in North Americas largest oilfield. We have over 10,000 wells. Not one of them is a stripper well, and none have wlaking beam pumps. All but one of our operations here in Prudhoe Bay are done by Injection Technology which is where you push the oil up and out with GAS, and Float it Out with Water. Only one of our fields uses down hole pumps that are a fancy submersible pump. They range from a low of 167 HP to about a 1000 HP, all electric, 2400Volt.
One of the employees of Arrow Engine told me some years back that their biggest customer was the Oilfields of BC/Alberta. They were sending a truck a month of new engines there and it jumped to something like 1 a week for a bit. Don't know what that status is now, but one of the forums 2 Arrow people should.
I hauled a Witte CD Genset down the ALCAN(Alaska Highway,..Alaska..Canadian) along with a snow cat and a John Deere Genset and was suprised how many Witte's there were along the route from Alaska to Dawson Creek BC. At one diner, somewhere outside Whitehorse Yukopn Territory, The OWNER/Head Cook, of a "whistle-stop" out in the middle of no-where came out to turn on the power to her gas pumps after serving us dinner. She imediately spotted the Witte. :"Got 2 of those in the back. a CD & a BD,.. now I use a Kubota"
At another similar combinition BAR/Restraunt/Cabins on the road between Glen Allen Ak and Valdez, the Bar tender told how the cook got up early, cranked up the BD, preped the kitchen and made coffey, and as soon as the other people started to wake up he would switch over to the larger CD, run on it all day, then switch back to the smaller witte for the evening when just the bar was open.
There's a witte BD pumping unit at the ALCAN Museum in Fort Nelson, along with some massive 4750 HP V-16 Cooper Bessemers. From Central Alaska all the way to northern BC one can find the rusting hulks of old engines used for power generation as well as the foundations from many that burned down. Lots of FB's, in one, 2 and 3 Cyl designations.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:33:13 AM
Registered-III

Witte must have had some good sales people along the highway.I stopped at the cafe/bar at Beaver Creek, on the way to the swanson river field with a load of testing equipment Feb.1961.While I was eating ,I heard this real nice sounding engine running out back.I made a remark,and the owner asked if I would like to see it.It was a 12.5 KW,two cylinder Witte in a building that looked better than the cafe.The unit was set up on a cement pedistal about 3 feet off the dirt floor and had a small log building over it.She was realy proud of it and kept it spotless.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:56:53 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: capped wells/stripper wells (clipped)

how would one get an oil feild map. i have been told of some wells on my place from the older men around that are clipped off
Old 01-14-2010, 07:04:20 AM
Registered-III

Try checking with your state offices? Here in california it is the "Division Of Oil And Gas",I woluld think places like Texas Railroad Commission would have info.for Texas, etc.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:08:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,740 Posts

Just something to keep in mind. In Osage County Oklahoma anyway, there are hundreds of abandoned wells. When a new lease owner buys an old field he also inherits the plugging liability of all those old abandoned wells.

I'm not saying for 100% sure if you now own the land you might be liable to plug an old well but maybe you should kind of keep things on the QT as you do your search.

If you decide to reopen a well you would be obligated to plug it properly (to government requirements) if it didn't make anything. This is expensive.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:28:18 PM
Registered-III

I just looked up" Ohio state Petroleum Regulatory"on my computor and got all kinds of sites.You might find out about abandonment clauses there without disclosing any of your information.