Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Ajax 7 1/2 x 10, the home stretch, I hope.

this thread has 154 replies and has been viewed 20450 times

Old 08-08-2007, 09:29:41 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts
Default Re: Ajax 7 1/2 x 10, the home stretch, I hope.

Keith:

Ever heard of Bondo?

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2007, 09:35:48 PM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Ajax 7 1/2 x 10, the home stretch, I hope.

Bondo? Not in polite company. Worked on it some more and it is looking better.

Made a run for dry ice this morning. Heated the fan pulley to about 300 degrees F and it slid right on...... till it hit the lip of the seal, then it bounced. I got past the lip of the seal and it grabbed, 3/4" short of where it belongs. It's good enough for now, I'll have to space the fan over to line the belt up. Looks like a big rosebud tip is in my future. As long as it doesn't leak around the seal and I can get the pulleys to line up it can stay there for a while, a long while.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax176.jpg

keithw
Old 08-09-2007, 02:32:48 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Ajax 7 1/2 x 10, the home stretch, I hope.

It's nice how a good nights sleep makes things not quite so frustrating . Decided what to do with the stuck pulley. The plan is to go ahead and get a big rosebud tip for my torch. I'll pick up a piece of 4 1/2" to 6" pipe to slide over the crank. Then I'll put a layer of wet cloth and a piece of sheet metal over the seal. At that point I'll heat the pulley hub and have someone start tapping by sliding the pipe against the hub. The hub needs to be heated to about 300 F to get it to come loose. If I can get it to go the rest of the way on without burning up the seal then I'm home free. If not I'll go ahead and get out the jack and chains and pull it off, buy another $60 seal and try again. The flywheel and this pulley are a really tight shrink fit. A little excessive but I guess they really wanted it to stay put.

keithw
Old 08-11-2007, 10:34:24 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Ajax 7 1/2 x 10, the home stretch, I hope.

One of the bits on the magneto that I wasn't happy with was the impulse. It had lots of wear and just didn't seem to work very well. Found a new one on evilbay and got it. It wasn't the exact one but I was able to use new pieces from it to replace the worn ones on mine. There are several bits that you install one way or the other for clockwise or anti-clockwise. Also turns out that one of them is different between clockwise and anti-clockwise, unknown to me. Once I understood the difference I was able to modify my clockwise one to be an anti-clockwise. The engine fires much more reliably when turning over by hand. Picked up a big syringe to measure priming gas. Turns out that 10cc will allow it to fire three times. It doesn't hit hard enough to turn the engine all the way around. I've been using 100 octane LL avgas since that is what I've got handy. Might give some Coleman fuel a try. It should burn faster and might do better.

keithw
Old 08-11-2007, 11:37:55 PM
Registered-III

I think either fuel will burn plenty fast enough considering the slow motion of your Ajax. The avgas may be harder to vaporize, (lower vapor pressure (?))since it would probably need to resist vaporlock/boiling when used at higher altitudes. The camp fuel vaporizes very easily and probably has a lower flash point than avgas. It probably does have a faster burn rate, in fact, it definitely does have an explosive burn rate under conditions of high heat and pressure... but I'm not sure that it behaves much different than the avgas in a cold engine at low compression. At any rate, propane is a high octane fuel, and I have no problems starting low compression engines, including Ajaxes, on it in any weather.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:59:19 PM
Registered-III

Question Re: Ajax 7 1/2 x 10, the home stretch, I hope.

Tried the camp fuel and it worked about the same. Can't wait for the rest of the bits for the electric starter to show up on the door step. Should get the last of the propane plumbing sorted tomorrow. The radiator should be done Tuesday. Went to pick up the radiator Friday but they had assembled it incorrectly. It's the only one they had ever seen with the fan on one side and the inlet and outlet on the other side. The core is only about half as thick as the side plates and offset away from the fan so the side plates can be used as the fan shroud. They need to turn the core around. They were able to use the original rotted out and repaired bottom tank .

Does anyone know what the ignition timing should be set to? I'm going to install timing marks and a pointer so I can check it running.

keithw
Old 08-12-2007, 05:54:14 PM
Registered-III

According to an Ajax service & maintenance manual, an Ajax with either high or low tension magneto, including those with dual spark plugs, should fire 3 degrees ATC on the impulse, and run at 16 degrees BTC. For the newer capacitive discharge type systems, the spark should occur at 3 degrees ATC at starting speeds and 11 degrees BTC at running speeds. Apparently these specs apply to all Ajax engines of whatever size under all ordinary circumstances. Elsewhere in the manual it states: "...It is important NEVER to operate below the nameplate minimum RPM, which in most cases is 200"... due to the fact that the oiling system will not work reliably below that speed. According to this book, the rated speed (top speed on nameplate) for the 10" stroke engines is 525 RPM. For the 12" stroke, 9.5" bore: 475 RPM 12" stroke, 10.5 bore: 400 RPM , 13" stroke, 10.5 bore, 400 RPM. For the larger engines with 14 to 16" strokes, the top speed is 360 or 400 RPM. Evidently, the expected RPM range for these engines is narrow enough that any sort of spark advance control, other than the impulse for starting, or a range of timing specs is not needed.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:32:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for the spark info. Got that dialed in.

Finished getting the fuel plumbing sorted. The gage in the box between the tanks is 35" WC or 20 oz/sq in full scale and measures the accumulator pressure. Both regulators are set at 10 oz. Purged the air out of the accumulator tank. With the accumulator pressurized, the engine fuel valve on and the propane tanks off the pressure drops very slowly. When I turn the engine over it drops right down. So, it is actually sucking fuel into the engine . When I get an assistant or the electric starter done I'll try running it on the tanks.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax177.jpg

Here is the air cleaner installed. It's not too bad looking. No oil in it yet but I did check to make sure it doesn't leak. It will be interesting to see if my oil tube inside actually works.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax178.jpg

keithw
Old 08-13-2007, 11:19:24 PM
Registered-III

Talking Re: Ajax 7 1/2 x 10, the home stretch, I hope.

A friend came by and we fooled with the Ajax. 10cc of gas in the primer and turned on the propane. Turned it over about three times and it fairly leaped to life . Runs much better with the proper fuel setup. Shut off the fuel and it coasted for a while. As it coasted down the impulse kicked back in and click clicked the last few revolutions. The radiator is supposed to be done tomorrow. Once I get water in the thing I will be able to run it for more than half a minute at a time . I'll see about a video of it being started in the next few days.

keithw
Old 08-14-2007, 02:09:13 AM
Subscriber

Cool beans Keith! I see the bessemer in the background in one of the pics. You should get that thing going next!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:31:50 PM
Registered-III

Well, actually, after this one I'm going to take a little vacation from big projects for a couple of months and get some little things done. After the first of the year I plan to start on the Cletrac, then the Bessemer. Although I might sneak some work on the Bessemer in along the way .

Working in the water pump. The shaft that turns the gear had serious grooves and lots of pitting.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax179.jpg

I laid weld beads on the shaft to build it up. After I did this section I also did the section at the gear end. I must confess that I am an unrepentant Millermatic 135 (110 volt) user. This is pretty thick but with the voltage set at 10 and the wire feed at 50% using gas it laid down some nice beads. I alternated between one side and the other to minimize warping. It came out quite straight. On the side shaft I used the 220V stick welder to do the same kind of repair. Given the clean, slag free beads with the Miller I would use it again rather than the stick.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax180.jpg

Not perfect but pretty good. Rather than replace the bushing in the pump I left the shaft at the gear end .005" oversize to match the wear in the bushing. If I do end up doing the bushing later I can turn it down the last few to bring it to size.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax181.jpg

Picked up the radiator and installed it .

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax182.jpg

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax183.jpg

keithw
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43:19 AM
Registered-III

Working on the water pump. It is a gear rotor pump. They are a positive displacement pump that actually works at 400 RPM. Not long after my engine was made they dropped the water pump and went to thermosyphon. The rotor showed a bit of wear and corrosion.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax184.jpg

Dug through the scrap bin and found a hydraulic cylinder piston with a hole in the middle about the right size. It was a little short in diameter so after I had it roughed into shape I took some square stock and extended the teeth by brazing bits on the end. Finished up the machining and here it is.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax185.jpg

After a cleanup I'll install a bronze bushing inside the hole.

The dental work on the gear teeth is progressing. Should have it done in a few more days.

keithw
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27:36 AM
Registered-III

The teeth on the water pump gear also had a bit of pitting . Not as bad as the rotor but they needed a little work.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax186.jpg

No gold teeth displayed but brass did the trick. I could spend weeks filling and filing to get them all just perfect but I'm just not going to do that.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax187.jpg

I put it together and spun it by hand. I could actually feel air moving in and out of the ports . One of the things this has is grease cups, three of them, to lube it. The two that lube the bearings where water can get have check balls. I presume that this is to prevent the cooling system pressure from pushing water into the grease cup. The problem is that one of them is totally destroyed. Anybody know where I can find screw cap grease cups with check balls?

Picked up the 15 kW ST generator head. About 400 pounds worth. A couple more bits and I'll be able to get the balance dialed in and weld the engine down.

keithw
Old 08-22-2007, 04:54:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,089 Times in 477 Posts

This wouldn't be quite original, but just shove it under an oilfield fix... Simply get a 1/4" check valve and use a regular grease cup.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:46:49 PM
Registered-III

I just ordered a 1/8" check valve along with the plain grease cup and shaft packing. It is once again a water pump rather than a boat anchor.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax188.jpg

I ran water into it with the garden hose and turned the shaft by hand. It pumps nicely . It is so rough on the inside that it isn't going to build much pressure but that's fine since I'm using a thermostat.

Still on track to be at Vista, Ca show the 27th and 28th of October.

keithw
Old 08-26-2007, 03:36:23 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
pump. The rotor showed a bit of wear and corrosion.

keithw

a bit of wear? lol
Old 08-28-2007, 10:20:05 PM
Registered-III

The time came to attack the fan drive pulley again. The first attempt to install it ended up just a little short. Rounded up a big rosebud tip and welded a couple pieces of angle together to use as a banging tool. Cut a shield out of sheet metal backed with wet rags to protect the seal. I fired up the torch and started heating while my friend proceeded to wang away with the beater. Within a couple of minutes the pulley moved and seated. I put a line around it so I could see how far it moved. About a quarter inch was all it took.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax189.jpg

Now the pulleys are all lined up and the seal survived. A little paint and it will be good to go.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax190.jpg

When I trial fit the generator drive pulley and generator I found the generator needed to be moved a bit farther back. So, I extended the rails all the way back to the trailer frame.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax191.jpg

Before I added the extensions I fired up the engine. The engine support frame crosses six of the side to side rails on the trailer. It is strong enough but they are way too springy. The trailer rocks one way, the engine rocks the other and everything jumps up and down . Tyeing the engine stand into the trailer frame should stiffen things up. Next I'll extend the front rails and tie into all of the trailer rails and into the front of the trailer frame. It may still rock and jump but at least it will all be in the same direction .

The packing and grease cup for the water pump arrived today. Got that sorted and filled the engine with water. It only leaked in about half a dozen places. Took care of those and it seems to be holding now. Once I get the front rails done I'll fire it up and let it run long enough to warm the water up.

keithw
Old 09-05-2007, 11:14:24 PM
Registered-III

Dad came over and we finished up the deck boards, bolted down the fuel system and finished the starter. When we first tried the electric starter I used skinny battery cables and it would just barely move the engine. Checked the voltage at the starter and found two volts . Off to the store for some 2 Ga battery cables. Now it flat flies, really zings it over. Makes starting almost embarrassing it's so easy .

The starter motor is a gear reduction unit from a Dodge 318, although almost any one would work. I disabled the Bendix and welded a stub to the pinion for a small sprocket. The tire and wheel are mini-bike parts. As the starter runs it pulls the wheel down and into the flywheel till the legs hit the deck. Once the engine starts the tire is pushed back up and it rocks away from the flywheel

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax192.jpg

Here is the pivot shaft bolted to the deck.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax193.jpg

A picture of the back side. A little more cleaning up and painting to do.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax194.jpg

keithw
Old 09-06-2007, 12:30:39 AM
Subscriber

Looking good Keith! I've spent hours watching those ajax engines run in the oil fields. They are pretty sweet. The last one I watched was last month: a 9x12. I also bumped into the guy who maintains them and we talked for a while. Or should I say he bumped into me... one of his buddies saw me from the freeway and called him. "Hey, there is some guy standing out by one of your wells. He's probably up to no good." I actually met him the last time I was out there and we talked for a while. It was pretty easy to convince him that I was just there to watch the engines because I was on my way home from the Eppings with a trailer full of old engines. He laughed when he saw me out there again, watching an engine run. He is a pretty nice guy.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:29:55 PM
Registered-III

Yea, I've wandered across a few fields to get a closer look and an engine running on a well. So far nobody has been unhappy about it.

Here are some more pictures of the starter frame now that I have it cleaned up and ready to paint.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax195.jpg

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax196.jpg

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax197.jpg

Got the exhaust system flange cleaned up and the flex coupling welded to it. The flex section is stainless steel. I used some stainless rod that is supposed to work for this sort of thing. We'll see how it goes . The muffler and pipes should be here any day now.

http://members.aol.com/keith0alan/images/ajax198.jpg

keithw