Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag Upright 1hp With Mag - need help

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4306 times

Old 10-08-2007, 08:30:41 PM
Registered-III

Default Maytag Upright 1hp With Mag - need help

Hello, thanks for the 92 help in the past. I was lucky to acquire a 1hp Upright with the flywheel mag. I think it is essentially complete with some original paint and a faded decal. The previous owner filled literally everything with oil before putting it away who knows how many years ago as it had quite the aroma. He must have taken it apart at some point because the gaskets are home made replacements but it has good compression, a two part Champion spark plug and no play in the bearings and such that I can tell. Everything has come apart easily. The only real damage that I can see is that the threads for the flywheel nut have been messed up by the wrong nut. But chasing them with the correct die should fix this. Anyone know the correct thread? Also, did these use a rope. Does anyone know if an owners manual and or parts list is available? I would like to do this one up correctly. If any of you live near Medina, OH you are more than welcome to stop by.

I also have a Maytag Twin that is in very nice original condition. I have plenty of spark but it will not start. I would like to check the points but the flywheel does not want to come off the shaft. Any suggestions to getting it off?

Thanks in advance, Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 02:02:56 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,479 Times in 4,186 Posts
Exclamation Re: Matag 1hp with Mag Flywheel Help

What ever you do, DO NOT HIT THE CRANK on the 72 It is very soft, and will mushroom over in a second! I usually loosen the flywheel nut about 1/2 a turn, liberally spray the crank with WD-40, and then start the engine for several seconds. This usually loosens the flywheel, while doing no damage. Loosen the nut by no more that 1/2 turn, or you may damage the mag. The later upright engines had a primative recoil starter. it was mounted on the washing machine, and had a ball engage a ramp and pawl set up on the face of the hub on the flywheel. The early ones used a flat belt wrapped around the engine pully.
Andrew
Old 10-09-2007, 03:32:41 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Matag 1hp with Mag Flywheel Help

Andrew, thanks for the info on the 1hp upright. I have been trying to start the Twin but no luck. I have plenty of spark but I have noticed that the crank case is a little loose where it attaches to the top of the gas tank. I'll open that up and tighten the bolts. Maybe it is sucking air so it won't start as some fuel leaks at that connection. I also get a little of fuel leaking out the exhaust pipe after trying to start it although some of that could be starting spray.

Thanks again, Mike
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26:49 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Matag 1hp with Mag Flywheel Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
What ever you do, DO NOT HIT THE CRANK on the 72 It is very soft, and will mushroom over in a second! I usually loosen the flywheel nut about 1/2 a turn, liberally spray the crank with WD-40, and then start the engine for several seconds. This usually loosens the flywheel, while doing no damage. Loosen the nut by no more that 1/2 turn, or you may damage the mag. The later upright engines had a primative recoil starter. it was mounted on the washing machine, and had a ball engage a ramp and pawl set up on the face of the hub on the flywheel. The early ones used a flat belt wrapped around the engine pully.
Andrew
Andrew is right about one thing in his post. Don't hit directly on the crank of a twin. But.....The twin cranks are actually very hard and brittle and will shear off or break in one way or another long before they will mushroom over. I remove them by using a large two jaw puller over the outside edges of the flywheel using EXTREMELY LIGHT PRESSURE so as not to cause any stress or cracking of the flywheel, and then strike a firm blow with a large hammer to the end of the puller.

Upright engines never had recoils. The washer had a wheel with notches on it that you put your foot into to move the wheel and in turn transmit the power to the fiber gear on the engine to start it. The 1 HP engines were never used on washers and came with a starting crank.

Maytag never used a flat belt to start the upright engines. People have used that technique but it did not come from Maytag.

Good luck and glad to answer any questions!

Last edited by Tom S; 10-10-2007 at 10:28:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-2007, 08:14:22 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Maytag Upright 1hp With Mag - need help

Thanks Tom. As I'm new to Maytags, I learn something with every post. Hopefully I'll get one of the three running soon and will post pictures.

Mike
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10:07 AM
Registered-II

Ditto on not pulling to abruptly with a puller, I watched a guy rip the entire rim and all the fins off of the flywheel on a single 92 using a puller...

-Matt
Old 11-04-2007, 09:20:26 PM
Registered

Are
you interested in selling your 1 hp maytag engine?
wandam@cebridge.net
Old 11-07-2007, 11:20:07 PM
Registered-III

Ken, after posting some pictures, it turns out it is a 1/2hp upright magneto engine. You can see them on the other post. At this time I have it pretty much redone and looking for the operating instructions as I am fairly new to Maytags and don't want to mess this one up. I also have an original twin with the original decals that is in near new condition and a 92 that I restored. I am not planning on selling it at this time but I appreciate the offer and all the others I recieved; my granddaughter would not be too happy as she likes working on them.

Mike