Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Case R Series Engines (RE Engine ??)

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2044 times

Old 03-21-2008, 06:54:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,219 Times in 951 Posts
Default Case R Series Engines (RE Engine ??)

Glenn G, or anyone who has the Case book, or Case info, can you shed any light on the following:
(1) R Series came out in 1935, reportedly originally using Wauk FK engine (sometimes shown as Wauk FKJ), and soon changing to Wauk FC, shown in one parts catalog as FC9T variation. FK,FKJ and FC all seem to be 31/4x4=133ci b/s. (I don't know what variation the "J" designates; it does show as a variation on other Wauks).
84 Fed Mog bearing catalog, under R Series (R,RC,RI,RO) refers to a segment that shows:
(A) two 4cyl engines, one 23/4x4=95ci, the other 31/8x4=123ci, and
(B) a Note: "Note: R Series S/N 31695 and up, Wauk FC-FK engine". (S/N shown as 316956 in another catalog).
This segment then shows rod brg, main set and cam set part no's. and shop specs EXACTLY as shown in the Wauk engine segment for the Late FC-FK's, ALTHOUGH there are differences between the Case segment and the Wauk segment:
Rod Brg shim: different part no's;
Torque: rods:60 lb (Case) 40-45 lb(Wauk);
heads: 70lb (Case) 60-65 (Wauk).
Question: Was this 95ci or the 123ci engine used in the R Series before ser# 31695/316956?? (Wauk FCS and FL are shown in Thomson brg (1968) as 23/4x4, in later catalogs as 31/4x4 !!).
(2) I find FC's shown for C and K Prairie Type combines (various) and for C Prairie 8-10-12 cut, CB 8-12 cut and K 8-12 cut (Thompson), but in the few Case power unit listings i have I find no RE, nor do I find any RE in any of my Case listings.
Question: was the "RE" engine one of the Wauks??
Sorry to be so long winded; any comments appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2008, 08:14:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,843 Times in 2,008 Posts
Default Re: Case R Series Engines (RE Engine ??)

hey bud their is a tread on the r tractor an their is a coauple of
pics of a re engine i dont have derect link eather type in case model r tractor or go to the member list and were it says search mebers type in my handal casertractor click on my handle and then click on treads i have started you will see the tread listed.john
Old 03-22-2008, 12:54:29 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,219 Times in 951 Posts

CaseR: Many thxx for the heads-up, but, yes, I've been through it; comments posted there are what got me looking through my old catalogs.
Unfortunately, engine parts catalogs are never complete (the various companies omitted what they didn't carry parts for) and the listings they do have often don't match, so what I have on these engines is both incomplete and contradictory, and I was hoping someone had more complete info.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:32:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,902 Times in 772 Posts

I have never found a catalog or listing where Case mentions the RE. I don't think they were sold as stand alone power units, and only available on the combines or balers. When I first got my RE, I figured it was mostly a Waukesha power unit with a Case radiator, hood and fuel tank. However, there are a lot of Case only parts on it. Even the dry twin disk clutch components all have Case eagles cast into it.

Picture of my RE are here:
http://www.evanstoys.com/jim/CaseRE.html

I don't know of the exact model numbers of the Waukesha engine used in the tractors and power units, but there are slight differences through the years. Most of the 1935 models, including my RC, have have a different design oil pressure regulator on it than the later models. You can tell because the oil pressure guage connection is on the left side, attached right to the pressure regulator. The later ones are attached on the right side of the engine. I don't think there are many internal differences in the engines.