Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid 15 hp gas air metering

this thread has 63 replies and has been viewed 5922 times

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43:04 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Reid 15 hp Starting (Not Really)

HELLO Ray, I made a adapter to fit into the main cylinder and charging cylinder to use hydraulik oil to push out the cylinder, worked great. I can send you photos if you like . Phil
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55:09 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Reid 15 hp Starting (Not Really)

Phil,
Yes I would definitely like to see your lashup. Can you post pics here?
Ray Ethridge
Old 07-24-2008, 03:52:47 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Reid 15 hp gas air metering

I have pulled the main valve. Couldnt see any place where pressure was leaking but could be a very small void under the copper ring. While out, I will check the valve head to seat contact and relap the valve if needed. Ordered the Viton Orings for the lower seal. Will also check the sealing surfaces of both the upper and lower rings in cylinder and on the valve block. It interesting the designers couldnt come up with a simpler way to do this task without the sealing tolerances being so finicky. Still, it has been a great educational experience. Thanks, Jim.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:26:51 PM
Registered-III

The Work Continues; I got the viton O rings in. Set of 5 so I have some spares. Upon inspection of the main valve and seat, it was apparent that the surfaces were not mating up correctly. I lapped the valve twice and now I have good contact all around the seat. I will reinstall the copper ring on top after annealing the copper to soften it a bit. The viton o ring will go on lower seal.
Inspection of the ring seats on the main valve didnot show any pitting or nicks. No carbon nor rust on either surface. Main valve guide was sluggish with gummy oil from a year storage on the bench. That has been cleaned and polished and will be left dry for reinstallation. After reseating and tightening the main valve I will recheck the main piston for compression leakage. Will report my findings. Thanks for the help so far, Jim.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:34:38 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,462 Times in 1,600 Posts
Photo Re: Reid 15 hp gas air metering

Jim, I tried to take a short movie of my setup. It is on a 12 H.P. Reid and the readings were 15 lbs on the regulator for the hot tube and 4 to 7 ounces on the fuel mixer. I have the govenor unhooked and I adjust the speed with the diamond valve. I run the flame real low on the hot tube after I get it running.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Van Hook For This Post:
Old 07-30-2008, 02:09:21 PM
Registered-III

Main valve update: I removed the main Valve, lapped the valve twice, installed the annealed copper ring on the upper step and the Viton O ring on the Lower Step. Applied a little coppered silicone gasket sealer to both rings and reinstalled the valve. tightened up with a 24 inch breaker bar, then jacked up on the valve witha 2 ton hydraulic valve and retightened the nuts. removed the charge piston rod and pulled the main piston thru compression. the compression is still pushing the charge piston backwards due to leakage.
(sigh). A couple of thoughts. Could the valve to seat surface be too wide, so as to not provide enough pressure to seal? How wide are the copper ring steps supposed to be? Mine are at least 3/16 inch maybe a bit wider and the copper ring is only 1/8 inch. How can I determine if the valve is The point of leakage or the copper ring. Maybe some kind of indicator dye and look for streaks? Still hopefull, Jim.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:25:02 AM
Registered-II

Jim,

I'd say take the valve assembly to a valve shop that does really big valves and have them look at it. They might relieve the valve a bit (it made me cringe when I saw it done to mine) for a narrower seat. Also, if a valve guy tells you it's seating and all looks good, you can go ahead and put your money on the gasket or gasket seats. That's my bet anyway.

1/8" copper on a slightly wider seat sounds normal. That's about how mine is, except for a narrow spot.

When everything's right, the hydrolic jack won't be necessary. Those draw bolts will pull a lot more than two tons, and besides, unless your engine is anchored down, you're only pushing the weight of that end of the engine.

If you were running the engine with it like this, it'd backfire terribly, leaving a soot trail to show you the leak. I'm still betting its that stupid little gasket area. I don't know why they made it like that, but apparently it worked well enough to sell thousands of engines without improving it.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23:38 PM
Registered-III

Hi to all. I have done nothing to the reid all weekend due to hosting a family reunion. My thoughts now are to rebuild a copper ring to fit snug in the cylinder bore of the valve body. when this ring seals it will already be up against the OD of the bore and squish to the inner wall.. It appears that this is how the owners manual describes the replacement of the copper rings. If this method doesnt seal, I will go with Joels advice and build some 2 piece rings with graphite packing to try and seal this valve. As always I will keep you posted on how the different theories pan out. Jim.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:06:42 PM
Registered-III

Jim, I tried making the "rings" out of the square copper wire and viton Oring for the bottom seal and I was getting nowhere
I had my local machine shop machine make them for me from a solid piece of brass. I dont remember the exact deminsions since I haven't seen 2 Reid main vales that where exactly the same. I do remember that I had them make the top ring 0.010 taller than the top "step" for a good sealing fit, aka "squash fit"
And the bottom ring was the same demension for height and width as the top ring, just larger diameter.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:05:54 PM
Registered-III

Hey Doug. That is an interesting idea. Is the brass a softer material than the copper? So that it "squishes" easier. Did you make the brass rings any wider than the 1/8 inch? What cross sectional shape did yo make the rings..just square? Thanks for another idea to explore. Jim.