Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Seller attitudes

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 7032 times

Old 08-20-2008, 09:17:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,792 Times in 574 Posts
Default Re: Seller attitudes

too often those people end up passing away years later with all their collection intact, but the elements and the sticky fingered ijits amonst us have left only scrap.....
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,551 Times in 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphotog View Post
Here's an odd thought .... MAYBE, just maybe you offered him too much and he thought you were pulling his leg!!!
I know that's not very likely, but it would be awful funny if that was the case!

Believe it or not, we have HAD that happen. Offered to buy a '30 model A pickup from an older gentleman for $2000, and he said it was way too much. (we thought.........what??) Settled on $500 with him, and another $1000 in fixin' and she's a driver
Old 08-21-2008, 08:02:17 AM
Registered-III

tried getting a 62 falcon from the brother in law,Was in fair shape then,needed rear quarters and gastank.Wouldn't sell for $500,so there it sat.He took off the tires and it sat on the ground for 7 years, then he said ok you can get it for $500.Now it needed the complete underbody!Not a chance!It went for scrap....I was going to stuff a chev small block in it and have some funOh well.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:16:33 PM
Allen

Having been on BOTH sides, I'll offer a few insights.

First, there are an awful lot of people out there who want something for NOTHING, or as next to it as they can get. Having people try to beat you to death gets old fast. I try to set what I feel is a fair and realistic price with a little "wiggle room" just to make the buyer happy when they talk me down...but when some guy starts listing all the real or imagined faults on an item MY base price that I will accept starts creeping upward -- just from the aggravation, ESPECIALLY if THEY are less than polite about it... (not saying it happened here but maybe the guy or two BEFORE you pizzed him off doing that)

Second, "reasonable" is often a relative term. I've noticed that many guys around HERE for some reason seem to remember and EXPECT the prices stuff brought 5-10 years ago when they are BUYING, but the same guys want current ebay, dealer, or antique store prices plus a premium when they are SELLING. Nothing "wrong"' with that. But don't expect me to play. I'm not gonna cut MY throat so they can make a heftier profit on it next week or next year.

Third, Some people are just touchy. I'm no longer afraid to simply walk away. Most of the stuff I own is payed for and doesn't eat. Or, conversely, there's very little that I'll just die if I don't get TODAY (or sometimes at all). Don't feel it's a good deal for you? Then don't agree to it (buying OR selling), if the other guy is mad, toughski shitski.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:20:18 PM
Registered-III

Allen, I totally agree that perhaps some other buyers had been before me. My point is that if the seller states best offer, and doesnt give a base price or price range, then is so insulted by your offer that he wont answer questions or provide pictures that would help you to justify a higher offer.
I feel my mistake was to offer a price based on the limited information provided. I should have asked for more information and pictures and kept quiet on my initial offer. Thanks for your thoughts, Jim.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:08:29 PM
Subscriber

I generally find that if someone responds "make me an offer", they are really not serious about selling the item and may just be looking for interested parties to value the item for them. In either case, I don't price for the seller items I'm going to purchase, that's the sellers responsibility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff R Parks For This Post:
Old 08-24-2008, 12:25:32 AM
Allen

I recently offered an engine for sale...for $600 o.b.o. The offers ranged from the rediculously lowball ($125) to $500 (which I took and actually had 2 other people waiting, hoping the buyer would back out at that price so they could get it)...

My question is WHY would anyone even offer less than 1/4 of the asking price on something already rather fairly priced? Do they really think someone will take it? or are they just trying to make the sellers mad? ...IMO Some buyers (especially the cheapskate ones) can be their own (and everyone else's) worst enemies.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:54:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,400 Times in 1,543 Posts

I have bought engines and many things at 1/2 price, not 1/4, but 1/2. If you don't like my offer just say thanks, but no thanks, and I'll be on my way. 1/4 may be the best offer, and that IS what you said, best offer.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:40:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,743 Times in 855 Posts

I absolutely hate "Make me an offer"! First off, the seller, most likely, has a price range in mind. If I'm wanting to buy the item, I'd like to know what the seller is expecting to get for it. Then, I can determine of the item is in good enough condition to be worth the money.
I stumbled across a Gibson tractor about three years back. I asked the owner if he was willing to sell. I went home and used the WWW to find a group of Gibson owners where I joined up and asked their opinion after I had given a description of the condition of the tractor. I heard a price range from them. A couple of weeks later, the gent called and said those dreaded words. I asked him what sort of price range he was thinking. He said he had advertised it for X, but since I was first to ask and he thought I was wanting it for myself and not to turn a buck on, he offered it to me for somewhat less. I got a good deal and he was satisfied too.
I guess if a seller won't give a price range he's thinking, then lowball him and walk away. Doin' a little research doesn't hurt either, which is what I see most of you have done with your purchases.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:46:37 PM
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurk View Post
that IS what you said, best offer.
I guess I'm just naive enough to believe that the implied "reasonable" in o.b.o. is understood.-- Kind of reminds me of the Cabin Fever Expo a couple years back when I had a dish of Werthers candy out on my table and a fellow asked "Are these free?" and when I nodded yes, scooped up the ENTIRE dish worth (about 1/3 pound) and started to walk away...I was simply dumbfounded that ANYBODY could be that big of a(n) {insert name here}.