Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

12hp Bessemer Ruined

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 6319 times

Old 08-21-2008, 08:13:14 AM
Edwin

Angry Re: 12hp Bessemer Ruined

This is indeed sad to hear,you cant do much to protect yourself and your family these days,seems criminals have more rights than us.Some of these people are not dope smokers but just plain old garbage ,one more thing i never have liked scrap metal guys.they are a joke,get a real job.If i catch anyone taking anything from on of my engines or tractors i will cut your fingers off with bolt cutters.I mean it,i dont have a family and kids so i can afford to go away for a summer for making my own justice.I hope it never comes down to it.I hope you end up finding some parts for your engine.
thanks
Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2008, 08:27:56 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: 12hp Bessemer Ruined

Its getting bad, I had a used farmall model M transmission sitting down in my woods. A locked gate and no tresspassing marked. They cut the lock and took the trans plus some other stuff, I try to keep my other engines and tractors in a shed so its harder to get at, but only so much room. I can tell of many other storys like this around here. I think it is just a lack of respect for others property. Its a good thing I for them that I was not home, they would have gotten more scrap flying there way. Phil
Old 08-21-2008, 10:08:52 AM
Subscriber

its odd most theifs are to lasey to work let alone try busting up a flywheel with a hamer.someone may needed a rod and tryed to make it look like a scraper and not a plane theift. hope i,m wrong ???:
Old 08-21-2008, 06:36:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,095 Times in 753 Posts

Ive been asked about getting rid of any scrap metals steel and brass or copper in particular. I told them no and made note of what color car and style they were driving around in. I dont know if they were trying to get some metal out of our yard or what they were trying to do.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:26:34 PM
Registered-III

I had rebuilt a Briggs 23BP as a autoshop project when I was in high school. We had no room to keep it in the garage so it sat behind one of my dad's trucks in the driveway covered in a tarp. One day it was gone along with the parts engine I had for it. A year and a half later my dad and I were taking some cans in to the local recycleing center and what do I see off to the side where they keep the lawnmowers? It was a Briggs 23BP My dad did not think it was the same engine but I remembered some special features it had. In the end we had to buy it for $20 but at least we got it back.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:11:53 AM
Sponsor

Fred,
I'm not sure, but I doubt someone would have broken the flywheel and taken parts of the eccentric if they just needed the connecting rod cap.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:36:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,244 Times in 314 Posts

I see in our local paper here that the scrappers sawed off 100 or more brand new cadalic converters right of the cars in the new car lot. At 3 to 4 hundred bucks each for scrap these guys took home some cash and caused a lot of damage. Takes a lot of guts.

KK
Old 08-22-2008, 04:20:01 PM
Registered-II

not to change the subject but around here the scrappers are breaking into vacant homes and stealing the copper water lines one house they turned the water back on and flooded it also.they don't want to come around my house.accidents do happen
Old 08-22-2008, 07:30:11 PM
Registered-II

I am so very sorry to hear about your Bessemer's damage!
They're hitting vacant houses around here too (Lorain County OH) and in some cases have hit houses that were NOT vacant! -- just folks gone for the day. They've also taken to stealing air conditioners from CHURCHES and residences.
I am waiting for the unhappy day the local thieves discover the municipal facility where I work, come in with a battery Sawzall and relieve the several trucks and SUVs of their catalytics, not to mention manhole covers, pipe fittings and other handy items that could be easily loaded and hauled off!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:32:36 PM
Registered-III

check the local yards for that bearing...let the mangement know you are there looking for stolen items...alot of yards one guy checks in certain metals ..and probably remember who hauled what in...also ASK and LOOK those guys stand out big time....well there's my rant on it...if do catch them..I'll bury them for free...also terrorists
The Following User Says Thank You to Clark Bigger For This Post: