Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

12hp Bessemer Ruined

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 6317 times

Old 08-23-2008, 04:33:35 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,345 Times in 4,099 Posts
Thumbs down Re: 12hp Bessemer Ruined

Scrappers recently hit a house in the city where my son is a firefighter. Seems that the contractor rehabbing the house, used copper pipe on the natural gas supply. The theives stole all of the copper from the house, and when 6 workers came to work on the house the next day, they found it (the copper) all gone. One of the workmen decided to call the boss, to tell him of the theft, on his cell phone. BIG MISTAKE The cell triggered a gas explosion, blowing the house to tooth picks, and knocking the home next door, off its foundation. One man was killed outright, several others trapped in the remains for several hours, as rescuers tried to reach them. They have survived, with severe burns. When my son arrived with the F.D., he said the home was a pile of splinters - the fireman could not tell what type of house it was. If found, the theives will be charged with homicide, as well as theft.
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2008, 11:44:54 AM
Email NOT Working

Angry Re: 12hp Bessemer Ruined

Hi Steve. would that Bessie happen to come from Morrison run area? I've drooled over that engine for a long time. Unfortunately I've seen too many engines suffer the same fate. Do you know if a flywheel off another engine would work? Good luck with finding parts. If I hear anyone talking I'll get in touch with you. In small towns everyone talks. Kevin
Old 10-17-2008, 08:02:26 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: 12hp Bessemer Ruined

Hi Kevin. Yeap, it came from Morrison Run area. I got the Bessemer power too. I was hoping to make a nice display out of it especially since it has the chain instead of a belt. I think I have a halfbreed flywheel that will fit it. It would look alot better with the right one though. I'm just going to wait and hopefully find another one that matches. I know who did it too. They just lie about it though.
Steve
Old 10-17-2008, 11:17:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,076 Times in 397 Posts

I just cleared a space in the shop for my actual scrap. They pulled in the driveway and just started taking stuff out of my pile while I was right there in the shop. I've told the same 2 the other day "that pile is mine, no more scrap!". They had the nerve to come driving by that night slowing down and looking.

It's mostly meth users around here. They seem to totally lose any common sense and decency. It's sad and frustrating at the same time. Only a fraction of a percent come back from that drug. A former boses son went down that road, very sad.

Sorry I rambled, hits close to home.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:40:14 PM
Registered-II

Steve,
How about a pic of your 12 hp, I have one thats pretty complete, I've had it running a few times over the years I've had it (going on about 15 yrs now ) it has a bad rod so it leaks on back stroke, I got a new piston and rod for it a few years ago but haven't had time to get to working on it I'm hoping to start on it maybe this winter this is a pic of it about 10 yrs ago. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bessmer.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	41822  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Golden For This Post:
Old 10-19-2008, 05:06:14 PM
Sponsor

I don't have any pictures of it right now. I will take a few sometime this week and post them.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:44:48 PM
Email NOT Working

Hi Steve, If the bessemer was painted blue I've got a couple pictures of it. I'll try to post them.Have you seen the Bovaird just down below the archery club. It's rough but restoreable. I know of another bovaird that is missing the oilers and plug wire but should run. But I've only shown that to a couple people. I'm trying (much to my wife's dismay ) tosave some cash then locate the owner. It would look great in my driveway. Good luck with it I'd love to see it run. I'm pretty sure when I was fairly young I've seen it pumping the wells. Kevin
Old 10-19-2008, 08:50:39 PM
Registered-III

I’m not talking old engines but this happened to me about 30 years ago. I had a collection of Civil War Carbines and other high dollar guns. One night when the wife and I were out to dinner I had 12 of my guns stolen. The state police and sheriff’s dept. were notified and they investigated. About two weeks later one of the officers came to the house and told me they had found the culprit (putting it nicely) and if I would not prosecute the thief I could get 6 of my guns back but if I did prosecute I’d get none of them back as the location of the guns were never disclosed by the thief to the officers, so the officer said. I took the option of getting 6 guns returned by the officers. Have you ever heard of a deal like that? It’s a pure case of crooked law enforcement teaming up with a two bit thief, I may have been set up from the start.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:58:17 PM
Sponsor

Kevin, I did not get the one painted blue along the road. That one is a halfbreed. The one I got is a true Bessemer, not a halfbreed. I have seen it and the Bovaird before though.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:44:31 PM
Email NOT Working

Hi Steve' I can honestly say I've never seen the one you got. If you don't mind me asking where was it hiding? On top of the hill between Morrison and Clarendon there was a Franklin valveless that dissapeared a couple years ago. That was quite the find. Once you get around Clarendon there are a few here and there. Unfortunately some scrappers got to a A.L. Lilly engine on chapman dam rd. all thats left of that is the bed and cylinder. When I get more time and ambition I'll take the camera out for a walk and get you guys some pics. At one time I knew of a Struthers Wells engine in it's original location. Haven't seen that in about 20 years. It may still be there. Sometime we'll have to hook up and go looking. Kevin