Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

1945 Fairbanks-Morse, cannon type

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 5929 times

Old 09-04-2009, 02:13:17 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: 1945 Fairbanks-Morse, cannon type

Well Doug, you're right about that being taken with a grain of salt. The pulley is not original, and it's missing the mag and the drag spring for the intake valve.

Doug- I have a copy of an original FM catalog for the EARLY ZC series engines. It shows that exact same carburetor on the 346 through the 739. Notice the same water injection system (for use when kerosene is being burned) that was used on the ZA series is also used on this engine. That will not work with the later carb. Now, it IS possible that the style of carburetor you speak of was the one used on the gasoline/gas engines, but it is not shown or mentioned anywhere in my catalog.

It also shows that same adapter for tank cooling. The condenser/radiator/fan was standard for the oil field engines, but this adapter was standard otherwise. The heavy flywheels were also standard equipment for the ZC engines destined for oil field use, but the same flywheels that were standard on the ZA series were also standard for these early ZC engines.

What we are looking at here is an early, standard Model Z style C engine rated at 17 hp at 400 rpm and 18 hp at 450 rpm. The flywheels are 44x3 inches, it has a 10 quart oil capacity, and a shipping weight of 2350 pounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to DirtbikePilot For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 09:49:35 PM
Registered-III

I have the engine home and am in the process of removing the head but I can't get it off because I don't know how to remove the cap on the push rod. How is that done. Attached is a picture of what I am speaking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1583.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	62232  
Old 09-04-2009, 11:26:41 PM
NAMPeters

The end cap on the push rod should be a light press fit.

To add to the list of missing parts would be the circulating coolant pump. These are hard to come by.

Have fun with your new find, been working on my 10HP ZA for over a year now and still have a ways to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 09-04-2009, 11:51:34 PM
Subscriber

On my 346, that whole rod just pulls out and the cap is part of the rod. Take the cover off of the crank case and look inside for something that might be holding the rod in.
The Following User Says Thank You to DirtbikePilot For This Post:
Old 09-05-2009, 01:05:59 PM
Registered-III

Do you have pictures to share on your progress of your ten horsepower ZA? This morning the end cap came right off when I placed a pipe wrench on it. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:10:35 PM
Registered-III

I have the head off. The cylinder is completely filled with bee bodies. The bore is 8 1/4 inches. Does that mean it was rebored at some point? For being an enclosed engine, the parts are pretty well frozen. Indications was that it was setting in the dirt up to 15 inches.

Larry
Old 09-05-2009, 05:22:34 PM
Registered-III

I was wrong in my measurement. The first part of the cylinder was 8 1/4 inches but the interior part is 8 inches. I'll have to find an 8 inch hone or make one.

I can see that this engine will be a real challenge.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:00:48 PM
Registered-III

Larry, One word of advice on unsticking the piston. Go slow and easy. Clean up and remove as many parts as you can so you dont break some related part in unsticking the piston. If possible disconnect the rod at the crank and make sure the cam gearing and governor assembly is loose. Then tip up the "cannon barrel" and fill the cylinder with acetone and ATF. Then leave it alone for a couple of weeks. Keep checking the bottom of the piston for signs of the lube coming thru. Be very careful when you start to beat on the piston. You can break the crown and cause more trouble.
Keep us posted on your progress. Jim.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Gorter For This Post:
Old 09-11-2009, 10:29:07 PM
Registered-III

I removed the head and noticed that there is a certain amount of cavities in the lower part of the cylinder where the water sat. After I build a cart to transport this engine, I will concentrate on building an 8 inch hone to see what the damage is. Do you think the piston should come out from the front or the rear? If it comes out the front, the cylinder will need much honing.

Have a good weekend.
Larry
Old 09-11-2009, 11:31:05 PM
NAMPeters

The piston on my 10ZA was badly stuck and after much effort it came out the crank end of the cylinder. I put blocking on the piston head, a plate in place of the head and jack screwed the piston out. Squirted lots of penetrant and patience.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post: