Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

1945 Fairbanks-Morse, cannon type

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 6001 times

Old 09-17-2009, 05:41:35 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 1945 Fairbanks-Morse, cannon type

Larry, to clean up the bore on topside of piston,use a wire wheel on a hand drill. Dont be too concerned with the pitting until you get it cleaned up. Most times, the larger engines will run with conciderable blowby. If real bad you will need to look into boring and sleeving the cylinder. Very hard to hone the pits out and then you will need to find an oversized piston to fit the larger bore.
I'm not sure if the piston/rod will come out the back. If you can, unhook the rod from the crank and make sure the crank and gearing are loose. Other wise you may break something while you are trying to remove the piston. Good Luck, Jim.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2009, 06:19:00 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 1945 Fairbanks-Morse, cannon type

there is a trick with these types of engines that i have used well for my hit miss engine anyway i just used jb weld in the cylender bore to get rid of the pitting. I dont know if you want to do something like that but it might be an idea to try. But if you want to try is you fill in the pits with jb then hone and your ready to go just make sure there is no oil or anything in those pits so you get the best bond to the metal. and make sure you let it dry for a week.