Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

*** De La Vergne Project ***

this thread has 80 replies and has been viewed 13860 times

Old 12-07-2009, 07:23:31 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: De La Vergne project

Thanks for the update in the Delavergne. I have been following it with interest.
After, seeing the list of known engines, I thought I remembered buying a serial number tag for one from Alan King when he was clearing his collection out. I finally found it today. It is for serial number 3317. I was surprised when I saw it was one number different then Coolspring's (3318). I bought it because I thought that would be as close as I would get to owning a Delavergne. I remember asking Alan where he got it but he could not remember. He only said that he had had it for over thirty years and I got it from him in 2001. Could this tag come off an engine that was in the same installation as the one at Coolspring. If anybody knows, please let me know. I would really like to know what happened to this engine. Thanks, Mark Schuller
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 09:51:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,188 Times in 408 Posts

Hi Mark,
To answer your question, No there was only one engine in the building that Coolsprings engine was in. It came from york station near Rossville Oh. witch is south of Zanesville Oh.
There was a DeLaVergne in a station near Killbuck Oh. and it was moved in the early 60 to Millesburg Oh. but was never installed in that station, the engine just sat out behind the building, and that's where your tag may have come from.
Is your tag about the same size as the one on the engine at Coolsprings ???

DH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuckeyeMan For This Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 11:24:59 PM
Subscriber

DH, I have seen the tag on the Coolspring engine but cannot remember the size. My tag is a stamped metal tag which measures 3 1/2" X 7 1/2" and uses 4 screws to hold it on the engine. It has all of the information that is on your cast tag. It even has the same patent dates listed. Too bad there is no horsepower listed on it. What size was the engine at Millesburg? Mark
Old 12-08-2009, 01:10:52 AM
Registered-III

Hi Mark
The Millersburg engine was 35 Hp also. I don't think the one at Coolsprings is marked. To bad the guy that told me about it did not keep track of it, but he also took a lot of parts off a nother engine that no one wanted. Back in the 60s no one wanted an engine that big, and most of the colectors back then had no way of moving engine that big...He once told me that there where Kline engine going to the junk by the truck load, and there again no one wanted them...Boy how things have changed....If its got a flywheel on it someone wants it... Thanks

DH
Old 12-09-2009, 09:37:02 AM
Subscriber

Hey Buckeyeman, I don't think you'll be starting this, or even rolling it over, if our weather comes your way, 16 below 0 with a 32 below 0 wind chill, so dig out your long handles.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:59:01 AM
Registered-III

The work has slowed a little with the cold and all the holiday things going on, but I have got a little done. There must be about 25 feet of piping on this engine. and most of it has to be replaced. There is water in to the engine in three different places, and then are there three places it come out, this engine also has the air start system on it, and water injection, and there are 6 valves that needed to be taken apart and cleaned up. So there is lots of work still to be done. I took lotes of photos of all the piping befor Mike and I moved the engine, so I would have an idea of what I needed to put back on. It will not be all the same as before, but I'm going to try to get close...

Injoy and have a great holiday....
DH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	De La Vergne 032.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	69295   Click image for larger version

Name:	De La Vergne 031.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	69296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piping 001.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	69297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piping 004.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	69298  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BuckeyeMan For This Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 02:55:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,923 Times in 198 Posts

Its looking great Dave!!!! Keep up the great work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Austin For This Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 09:00:27 AM
Subscriber

Boy, you weren't kidding when when you told me the plumbing was a project in itself. It's looking good!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:06:56 AM
Registered-III

Hello all and Happy New Year almost....I got the plumbing all done tonight, boy what a JOB... I think there were about 8 trips to the plumbing house the last 3 weeks, and I'm no pipe fitter, I leave those big jobs to my father,(he was the pipefitter in the family) I said earlyer that there was 6 valves that needed cleaned up but I forgot about a few, THERE WERE 11 all together, all were in real good shape and was able to use all the original ones but one... Tested the air system and have no leaks, but have not tested the water out, don't need anything freezing up now its done.(it only about 20 out side) and its going to get colder... So I'm not sure of a start up date..and I still need to get the muffler piped outside.... Enjoy

DH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing 006.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	70159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing 009.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	70160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing 011.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	70161  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BuckeyeMan For This Post:
Old 12-29-2009, 10:49:33 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
...and I still need to get the muffler piped outside
When the crew at the NEWSM got the De La Vergne ready to run they read a bunch of textbooks on oil engines. The books recommended digging a hole in the ground and filling the hole with large stones to act as a muffler. The crew installed a precast concrete chamber in the ground and plumbed the exhaust into the bottom and out of the top of the chamber. Then it was filled with large stones, and the concrete cover installed.

The first time the engine started it lifted the concrete cover about 6 inches off the ground with every power stroke. It was really impressive. A larger pipe exiting the "muffler" fixed that problem.

The NEWSM didn't get the preheater torch with the engine so they have been using a very large propane torch. It only takes about 15 minutes to get the head warm enough to get it started.
The Following User Says Thank You to m_thompson For This Post: