Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

I need help with a 15hp Reid

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 3678 times

Old 05-19-2010, 01:03:32 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: I need help with a 15hp Reid

Just stating again,I would move your gas valve to point to the other side and not be in front of the air intake. This way you can install a pipe or ball valve, and if for some resone the valve leaks it will be away from the intake. You can not light the gas and check hight where it is at, would be exstreamly danderus. Phil
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 03:28:32 PM
Registered-II

OldironPhil
Are you talking about sealing the holes in the back of the regulators where the control rods come out and attach to the govenor?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:05:59 PM
Sponsor

Yes that would be the gas valve, the hole for the rod and there are two holes where the bolts for the mounting bracket went. If they are open I just stuck bolts in them. Going from memorie, I am out in the field using my laptop. If I remember correctly I pluged the rod hole with a bolt and washer. Will look when I get home. And I bought a dimond valve from John but they do turn up here and on ebay from time to time. Phil

Last edited by OldironPhil; 05-19-2010 at 06:15:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56:05 PM
Sponsor

Both openings in the rear of the fuel mixer needs to be sealed, the main port with the metering rod...if no govener, the throttling port sealed.I run my Reid with an accumlater tank, 7 ounce regulator and a cheep 1/2" needle valve opened about a half turn...the air intake choked down to 1'' pipe with a ball valve opened about half way,the hot tube medium red about 3/4'' up from the bottom my engine is 15hp
Hope this helps
Dave
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 331 Posts

Get yourself a 1/2 inch diamond gas valve. It's all in that small valve. Adjust it by barely pecking on it with something very small. (it's very sensitive). After it won't start, you can check to see if it's flooded by opening your blow-off valve on top of the cylinder. And light a match and have someone roll it over. But be very careful and out of the way so you don't get your whiskers burnt. If there is no flame, there is not enough gas turned on. And you will know if theres too much. They don't need much to start but when it fires, give it a little more (very little).
We have several Reids that someone took both air and gas plungers out of the carb/mixer. They run fine. It's all in the valve and learning what your engine wants and likes. Also make sure the hot tube is red. Keep after it you will get it,I had same type problems. By the way Tom lives less than 15miles from me, he's helped me alot. Skidmore
Old 05-19-2010, 07:24:58 PM
Registered-II

David,

I don't know if I can help you at all with this little tid-bit, but it sounds to me like your gas-to-air ratio is right on the first pull (when you get it to fire) and after that it is not. Are you shutting off the gas after you pull in the first charge? If not, you might be flooding it for the subsequent revolutions (when it won't fire). I have a stop on my gas valve so that once I find where it will fire, I can set it and always open it up to the same place. So, when I start, I kick the valve open to the stop, draw in a charge, kick it off, and then, once it fires again, I turn it back on to the stop. If I leave the gas valve on, it does just what your's is doing and won't take off after that first impulse.

I wouldn't want to start mine without a stop. It's easy to make one: mine's just a half inch set screw through a nut that's clamped to the pipe so that the set screw determines where the handle stops. It keeps you from having to read a dial or figure it out all over again every time you want to run.

My valve's just a ball valve from the hardware, but the diamond kind these other fellows are talking about really is better.

Joel
Old 05-20-2010, 08:56:00 AM
Registered-II

Thanks everybody for the great help. It is getting me closer to getting it to run. Yesterday evening I changed the setup and put a tank in line with the gas, rerouted the gas line to get it away from the air intake, put me a 6" length of pipe in the intake so I could check how much gas I have it set for.

By the time I had got that done I didn't have a lot of time left to try cranking it, but I did a few times. I think I had more control but it wasn't much better. Then after I came in last night and cleaned up and had my supper at about 10PM, I got back on this site and read the new posts with some more great info.

This morning I drug my feet around leaving for work till my wife had left for work and I ran back out to the garage to do some quick checks. I choked the gas down a little more, and didn't have a valve handy for the air intake so I cut the top out of a water bottle and taped it over the pipe in the air intake.

I tried it a few times and the best I could get was fired on the bump, then fired a little on the next rev, and a little less on the third rev. Each time it was a little sess so on the fourth rev it didn't fire and it stopped on the fifth. I did this twice. So I'm close, maybe this evening after I get the lawnmower fixed, (my wife has been on me since last week), but I had to go to Portland, and this week I just had to work on the engine. These engines are worse than crack cocane.

David
Old 05-20-2010, 09:35:41 PM
Registered-II

David, if my engine did that it'd be because the gas was not turned up high enough. Try it again with just a bit more.

Here's an article I wrote for GEM awhile back about getting my Reid going. It's in two parts. Maybe there's something in it that'd be useful to you (and then again, maybe not). I don't run on propane any more other than for starting, but I did at the time I wrote this:

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/g...ine-Shaft.aspx

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/g...haft-Duty.aspx

Joel
Old 05-20-2010, 09:38:49 PM
Subscriber

I dont know if this will help but here is a video of me starting mine. You will notice I prime the engine w/ the fuel just barely on,than I open it up just a smidge when I try to start it. Good luck, Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoQF2F-fA94
Old 05-20-2010, 11:59:08 PM
Registered-II

Well, it's 1030 and I just made it back in. The readers digest version of the story is "IT'S ALIVE". Still needs some tweeking to start easier and run better, but at least it will run.

Joel great information in the article, I'll studie and apply it to my engine.

Tim, great engine, your's sure spins easier than mine. Maybe I'll get mine limbered up in a little while. Your can trick is a lot of fun. When I was stationed in Ohio I used to take my 7hp economy hit and miss engine and do about the same. Except I was using pine cones and shooting them over the house for the neighbor kids to catch. I did it for a while then realized if the pine cone happened to catch on fire and if it didn't make it over the house I could burn the base down, So I stopped it.

Thanks for the help

David