Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Single Cylinder Diesel Questions

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 4900 times

Old 11-07-2010, 09:10:19 AM
Registered-II

Default Single Cylinder Diesel Questions

I'm starting to get into the market for a constant speed single cylinder diesel. I already have a Onan two cylinder air cooled diesel and I thinking that for simplicity, maybe I'd look for a single cylinder engine. I believe the military 3kw gen sets came with a single cylinder diesel. Looks to be rated at 8hp at 3600 rpm. Will the governor allow me to slow that down to 12 or 1800 rpm? Is the single the same design as the two cylinder engines?

Oh, and does anybody have any pictures of the engine only? All the pics that I can find are of the generator and there are too many things obscuring the view.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 01:51:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,154 Times in 914 Posts
Default Re: Single cylinder diesel Q's

Traditional AC generators are dependant on running at full speed (3600 rpm for 2 pole and 1800 rpm for 4 pole generators) to maintain correct 60 hz output frequency. (European 50hz are at 3000 rpm 2 pole, and 1500 rpm 4 pole). The military 3KW MEP-016B / MEP-701a came with a 1 cylinder diesel at 3600 rpm, down rated to 8HP (actual 11 or 12 HP). The 3KW rating on these sets is ultra conservative as they are rated at 3KW at .8PF up to 120 degrees F 24/7.

Ike

p.s. there are also retrofits (life extension programs) to fit Yanmar 7 and 10 HP diesels to the members of the MEP-016 family (7HP on the gasoline MEP-016a and MEP-016c)
Old 11-07-2010, 02:41:51 PM

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,199 Posts
Talking Re: Single cylinder diesel Q's

Look around for Onan DJA, MDJA, or RDJA Gensets. These are single Cyl 1800 Rpm Units, and can be had for less than $500US, usually. Very rugged and easy to repair. I own 3 of them, and would buy another if it was available locally, in a heartbeat. Single Cyl Listers are around as well, in 1800 rpm 3.5 Kw. Kohler built a number of these, Lister powered units. Then again, there is the DD 1-71 Series units, which are fairly rare, but can be around, and are in the 5-7 Kw range at 1800 Rpm, or 3-5 Kw at 1200 Rpm. 3600 Rpm Diesel units are not noted for their longevity.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:07:24 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the post. Do you know which of those would offer pull start? Would a 12v (or 24v) stator still charge at 12 or 1800 rpm?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:26:09 PM

Talking Re: Single cylinder diesel Q's

These are Industrial Gensets, not Consumer types, and Industrial Gensets do NOT have Pull Starts. You will likely never see an 1800 or 1200 Rpm, Diesel Fueled Genset with a Pull Start. Most of the Consumer Gensets run at 3600 Rpm and and even most of those that are Diesel fueled, will be Electric Start. Any Genset will produce will generate at their designed Rpm, but only Inverter type Gensets will produce AC Power at other than their design Rpm.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:26:43 PM
Subscriber

Of the above mentioned models only the 3600 rpm Yanmar retrofitted MEP-016D or MEP-016E's offer pull starting through the use of a compression release system. I am not sure if I understand the second part of your question, what are you trying to do? The diesel MEP-016's have a 24V DC electrical system, which should still produce power at 24V regardless of rpms, just at lower amps. The MEP-016a and MEP-016C are older 4 cylinder gasoline driven generators with rope pull start only and no electric starter. (an electric starter was offered for the same military standard engine, just not installed on these, I have read where some people have retrofitted electric start) However the AC side of these units are designed to run at 3600 rpms at all times, even simply idling them for more than a few seconds after start up will tend to burn out the voltage regulators as they fight to maintain voltage at too low of rpms. Some consumer/contractor generators are designed with "idle" functions which allow them to slow down to idle when not generating power, these are popular on job sites operating power tools such as table saws where they can rev up when an amp draw is applied to the line. For most other operating conditions this idle feature is a bad idea (does not work well with electronics, or more complex equipment, etc)

Ike

p.s. some modern inverter style generators will vary engine speed depending on load, these units usually generate DC then convert to AC through the use of an inverter, a couple of common examples are the Honda EU series, and the Onan Quiet Diesels, as well as the current generation military tactical quiet generator
Old 11-08-2010, 12:15:42 AM
Registered-II

I think that you guys are thinking that I'm keeping the engine connected to a gen set. I'm actually looking for a engine for a belt driven application. For this reason any AC comments are moot. I'd never expect the genset to produce the correct hertz at less than rated speed.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:49:28 AM
Subscriber

Ah, in that case you are only interested in the Onan built 1 cylinder 3600 rpm engine from the MEP-016B, the engine is a model Q106 and is only used on this family of generators and a few rare bits of other military equipment (diesel air compressors for one). I don't know how low the stock vernier knob will let you set the governor, but I can tell you by the engine tone it sounds well below 3600 rpms, I would offer to go out and start mine and check the frequency at low throttle, but I am recovering from a broken back at the moment and can't bend down that low. One warning, parts for these engines are hard to find, this is part of the reason the military started the yanmar retrofits.

Ike

p.s. there is also the Onan DJA 1800 rpm single cylinder diesel engine which is somewhat related to your DJB, although in both cases due to parts availability, etc. you might be better served by something like a single cylinder yanmar
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17:40 AM
Registered-II

Default Single Cylinder Diesel Questions

Ok, that's what I was really looking for. I've noticed that the DJB parts havn't been exactly plentiful. If you can find a good parts guy, Cummins does seem to have some stuff available. I'm liking the Onan stuff because it's air cooled. My Yanmar tractor has thermosiphon which is a terrible excuse for a cooling system.

Do the DJA's charge off the flywheel or the generator end? I mean, if I separate the generator will the engine still charge a battery?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:03:25 PM

Default Re: Single Cylinder Diesel Questions

Most of the DJB parts are the same as ALL the DJ Series engine parts, as they were all built to be as interchangeable, as possible.

DJA's come in both styles of Charging Systems. If it was built as a Genset engine, then it will have the charging system as part of the Genend. If it was built as a Power-Pak engine for a pump or other application, then it will have a Flywheel Charging System, AND a Starter Motor.