Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

"Screamin' Demon" jet turbine

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 5736 times

Old 11-08-2010, 07:40:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,598 Posts
Default "Screamin' Demon" jet turbine

While digging through some old books I came across a packet of plans for a Savoy Scientific "Screamin' Demon" jet engine. I ordered these plans from a tiny ad in the back of Popular Mechanics (or possibly Popular Science...). The envelope was mailed to me in May 1986. Going through the contents I was able to confirm my earlier suspicions that the plans were not very thorough or even complete. A bit of searching on the web verified that fact even further.
Has anybody else bought these plans and tried to make the engine? Were you able to overcome the missing information and end up with a working model? Should I just write off the $8.00 that I sent for them, consider it a lesson learned and file them with other useless stuff?
Below is a scan of the back of the envelope that they came in and a picture of the components. Pretty ambitious for the claims of building it with only a 9" lathe and a drill press ("...Some welding required...")!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jet Plans 01.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	92052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jet Plans 02.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	92053  

I Can Probably Fix That
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 07:27:16 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: "Screamin' Demon" jet turbine

Hey John,

As a young boy, I read PM every month and absolutely drooled over the idea of making that exact engine. Forgot about it during HS and college, however once employed w/ marginal funds, picked up an issue of PM and there it was! Same ad. Just as remembered. Gleefully sent them $6-8 (?) .....and was incrediably disappointed with what was returned.

Totally unusable. Complete trash. Wrote it off as a long running scam and moved on.

Wonder how many others gave this lowlife thief small amounts over the years? Is the ad still in PM?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:31:52 AM
Registered-II

Unhappy Re: "Screamin' Demon" jet turbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Webre View Post
Hey John,

As a young boy, I read PM every month and absolutely drooled over the idea of making that exact engine. Forgot about it during HS and college, however once employed w/ marginal funds, picked up an issue of PM and there it was! Same ad. Just as remembered. Gleefully sent them $6-8 (?) .....and was incrediably disappointed with what was returned.

Totally unusable. Complete trash. Wrote it off as a long running scam and moved on.

Wonder how many others gave this lowlife thief small amounts over the years? Is the ad still in PM?
I cleaned out my old desk last spring & ran across the same set of plans for the "Screamin Demon". I looked through the plans & decided they are pure junk. I purchased the plans in the 1970's from PM. I have been in the Tool&Die business for 38 years & I know it would take a 5 axis machining center to make some of the parts! They claim a lathe & a drill press was all you needed to build this engine?? Crazy!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:55:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,598 Posts
Default Re: "Screamin' Demon" jet turbine

I don't remember where I saw it, but I seem to recall reading that you could scrounge some parts from a vacuum cleaner for the inlet and compressor end. Of course, this would have been 'back in the day' when such things were made of cast aluminum instead of injection molded thermo plastic.....

I Can Probably Fix That