Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Finally found a Superior!

this thread has 50 replies and has been viewed 8239 times

Old 06-19-2011, 09:58:45 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Finally found a Superior!

hello jeff i have a 20 hp(11388)sn this cylinder will wit in a 55gal drum .i have govner arms i can coppy them,do you have the brass ring that runs the govner up and down i have made one for mine.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2011, 06:58:48 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,261 Times in 325 Posts

Hey Jim. Do you have a photo's of that Superior finished? I'd sure like to see it.
Keith
Old 06-19-2011, 07:14:26 PM
Registered-II

Ozzy: I have to check my governor to see if I have the brass ring. I do not think so and I know I am missing all the linkage. Any assitance is appreciated. Also, the rocker arm has been repaired several times and is in bad shape. If anyone has a spare please let me know.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:34:01 PM
Registered-I

Jeff I made a print of the govner arms and brass bushing,Do you have the arm on the carb.I used dial calpers it is close as I can get.I put the 20 hp cyl In the 55 gal drum for 2 years, put in diesel to loosen it. Do you have the wates on top of govner.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26:41 PM
Registered-II

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been on vacation. I do not have the governor weights or the lever on the carb. I have the basic carb but everything including the butterfly is missing. I have been told I do not need it if running on propane but I woul like to reprodce all the linkage to make it as complete as possible. I also ned to fabricate a choke setup for he carb as all that is missing as well. The piston is the first issue. Hopefully will get to work on it this week.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:51:09 PM
Registered-I

How about using one of those propane weed burner torches and heating up the cylinder casting, you would of course have to take the ropes you have in there off, but maybe if you expanded the casting enough with the pressure you have on it it might be enough to break it loose.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:47:30 PM
Registered-I

Jeff I have a few pics of govner links,where can i send this print of links to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	superior20hp 013.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	110737   Click image for larger version

Name:	superior20hp 012.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	110738   Click image for larger version

Name:	superior20hp 010.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	110739   Click image for larger version

Name:	superior20hp 011.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	110740  
The Following User Says Thank You to ozzy For This Post:
Old 09-05-2011, 07:23:25 PM
Registered-II

Finally an update: The piston is out, the piston is out!! It took a fifty ton jack, a bunch of oak timbers, about two hundred feet of heavy duty chain and a homemade torch. Photos to follow in a few days. Right now every bone aches from the work. The piston is in nice shape and the cylinder is good as well. I expected rust and scale but found grease. It appears that it was tight because of buildup behind the rings. From the looks of things it should have been loose but it was that tight we were starting to get a few drops of hydraulic oil seeping out from the fifty ton jack which was new. Thanks to Ozzy for the photos of the governor and carb linkage. I have the basic carb. with the screw cap on top but I am missing the butterfly, butterfly rod and linkage, the diaphragm and rod and the choke assembly. I do have a governor which was rusted in a lump after spending to many years outside but I have now been able to get it unassembled. I will need to make a new shaft but most other parts are usable. I do have the governor weights, the round weight for increasing the speed and the first arm of the linkage that moves the brass fork. I was able to get some good photos of what I am missing at Portland. Thanks to Larry and Charlie for their help. You ware both very kind and offered invaluable assitance. With luck someday my Superior may be running beside yours. More to follow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 10:55:41 AM
In Memory OF

Way to go ,Jeff! congrats on getting the piston out, and glad things were in good shape.
Walt
Old 09-08-2011, 06:59:54 PM
Registered-II

Walt: Thanks for checking. I have been watching your progress as well. It sounds like you are nearing completion, just some plumbing and fine tuning left. I have a longer distance to travel yet but the journey is most of the fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Miley For This Post: