Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid Timing?

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 4878 times

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,072 Times in 651 Posts
Default Re: Reid Timing?

On my 30 I blocked the gas inlet off with a plug. I put a Tee in the air inlet with a close nipple next to the engine. On one leg I reduced it down to a 3/8 and put a 3/8 needle valve in and hooked the gas to it. I came off the other leg of the Tee and put in a ball valve (one inch I think). I crack the needle valve about 3/4 turn, close the ball valve down until there is about a 1/4 inch opening and it runs there. I let it warm up and reduce the air and gas till I hit the sweet spot. I run with a spark plug between the clys and a buzz coil firing it. I have ran it off the mag the same way. Be sure you are not getting air around the back of the spools. If is it cross firing I have found it is too rich. I fire somewhere around 15 degrees past TDC. Is the transfer valve well seated? I think this could also cause cross fire.

Here is mine running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSgoe20rr7Q

Last edited by JHFoster; 09-27-2011 at 06:38:24 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JHFoster For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2011, 08:31:37 PM
Subscriber

Dwayne,

If it's backfiring into the charging cylinder (and it will ring your ears!), good chance the transfer valve is not sealing well and/or it's running lean. Richen it up a bit and see if that helps. If not, likely have crud under the valve. Take the cap off and give it a few good pops to make sure it moves very freely. They will stick.... Worst case, you'll have to pull it down for a cleaning.

Where is the show this weekend?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Webre For This Post:
Old 09-26-2011, 09:42:07 PM
Registered-III

Show is at Temple, Tx this weekend Steve. Come on over!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,030 Posts

I will work on the transfer valve a little this evening and try it again. The valve was stuck and it has no cap on the bottom. I wire brushed it and lapped it in so it probably needs some attention. After the show I will see about a real valve job on it.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:38:11 AM
Registered-III

Don't worry about the cap for now, I have had a problem with using it. My valve stem was hitting the cap and not letting the valve close all the way. If the valve seat is even close the thing you probably need to look at more than anything is the seal at the top of the transfer valve where the flat copper wire is. Are you going to get to work on the big Reid Thursday?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:59:36 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ethridge View Post
If the valve seat is even close the thing you probably need to look at more than anything is the seal at the top of the transfer valve where the flat copper wire is. Are you going to get to work on the big Reid Thursday?
Ray, I don't remember a flat copper wire. Seems like I cut some gasket material and put in there. I bet I need to pull the tranfer valve and check things out.

Yes I am going to work on the big Reid on Thursday afternoon. I hope to be there by 2:00pm but who knows with work like it is. I am leaving here by 12:00 noon work done or not.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:53:48 PM
Registered-III

It sounds like we have found your leakage problem Dwayne. There is supposed to be two pieces of flat copper wire used for gaskets. They form rings, the widest flat sides facing downward. They form a seal at the very top where the shoulder of the transfer valve hits and then near the bottom at another shoulder. The one at the top needs to be copper or similar material because of the temperature and pressure involved. I just finished doing a valve job on mine, I am replacing the outer copper with an O ring. The ring for the smaller Reids is a -249 series. This is the 0.139 cross section 4 7/8 inch ID ring. I am getting 70 durometer Viton. I think yours will be a larger diameter than that though. I have some flat copper wire straight from John Burns that I can bring to the show if you need some. I also have a hydraulics place close to me that I can get O rings from too if you can find out what the diameter of the transfer valve is at the shoulder where it seats at the outside. I have a larger transfer valve but I am not sure it is what would fit yours. I was told it was for a 30 HP. I will toss it in the tool box just in case. Does anyone out there know if the 25 HP uses the same size copper wire for gaskets as the 12 and 15 HP? Anyone know the size of the O ring for him, or know the diameter of his transfer valve at the shoulder where the outer copper ring sits The transfer valve I have looks to be 5.500 diameter where the O ring would sit, but the shoulder looks like it would take a copper ring that is 0.187 or so wide. The copper ring material I have is 0.125 wide.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Ethridge For This Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43:51 PM
Subscriber

Okay now I am more confused. I ran the Reid for over an hour today and got it good and warmed up. I kept playing with the air and gas trying to regulate the speed while getting a steady hit. It seemed to be too rich so I kept cutting back on the gas and adding air in very small increments. Just as the gas valve was almost closed as in barley cracked open the engine went to hitting every time and quickly went to the runaway mode. I turned the gas valve off but the engine kept gaining speed. Somewhere between way to fast and total destruction I reached up and closed the gate valve on the air. The hydraulic control valve I am using has a bypass valve in it. I am wondering if the vacuum in the charging cylinder is pulling gas through the bypass.

It aint running right but I haven't given up yet. I will make this engine run like I have seen in the videos, just give time. Taking to the show on Thursday running or not.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:23:38 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,759 Times in 243 Posts

You will find it runs MUCH smoother with the spark plug on top between cylinders. That is the sweet spot for slow running. Bill Klein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to W.P.Klein For This Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23:21 PM
Registered-III

You are not helping Bill, I am trying to get him to use a hot tube!