Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Reid Timing?

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 4950 times

Old 10-04-2011, 02:06:42 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Reid Timing?

I was at the show, and I saw it run and it was cool.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 10:20:21 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,772 Times in 246 Posts

Check the nut on the bottom of the crossover valve Ray - I bet it's loose (and I remember telling you this would be the 1st thing to check if it acted that way!) Bill Klein
The Following User Says Thank You to W.P.Klein For This Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 10:08:20 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Bill,
I had forgotten about the nut, but Steve Webre caught it. We tried all sorts of adjustments with it, from moving it all the way out to even taking off the spring. I had definitely tightened up the nut too tight after the valve job, it was not rattling at all on transfer. After loosening the nut up the noises were much more like they were supposed to be. I will definitely try some more adjustments on the nut though.
I think I was running the hot tube too hot, the wind was pretty high so I cranked it up so it would stay lit without all the cut up cans and stuff. The tube was yellow hot even in daylight, way hotter than I normally run. It was not hard at all to get it to hit when kicked backwards into compression, but it was never more than a very weak hit and only hit the second hit a time or two. I have gone through the engine conditions in my sleep so much I can almost envision the firing inside. Wouldn't a really hot tube fire the engine before compression was high enough to have the power needed to run it through compression, and then fire the next charge so early that it would stop the rotation of the crank since the firing would be so advanced? I have not had a chance to work with it since getting back but I will try it this evening to see what I can figure out.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:37:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,395 Times in 1,155 Posts

most reids don't like the tube too hot. if it is hitting soft, the thing is probably too rich. when starting, give it more air and less fuel to see if it hits harder. also try to start it a couple of minutes after lighting the tube. if it doesn't start, try in a few more minutes. this will let you know how hot of a tube it likes. to test the transfere valve for leaks
(blowby), remove the connecting rod on the charge cylinder at the flywheel. roll it over on compression hard, see if it pushes the charge cylinder piston out. it it does, the charge cylinder is not sealing.

rod
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 10-06-2011, 09:43:49 PM
Registered-I

Here is a short video if I can get the link working. http://www.youtube.com/user/saengineman?ob=5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saengineman For This Post:
Old 10-07-2011, 08:57:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,066 Posts

Saengineman, Thanks for the link. Post a video of the 40hp running when you have time.