Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Maytags - Why?

this thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 11334 times

Old 10-02-2011, 12:01:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 331 Posts
Default Maytags - Why?

I'll post this in the oil field forum, cause i know i'm going to catch hell. Went to a engine show last weekend. For two days had to listen, smell and put up with a maytag engine . I just dont get it. When the smoke cleared and you could breathe again they had the plug out of it. The ground was black where they threw the flex hose ball muffler (under our canopy) by the way. My father said they had a maytag washing machine on the back pourch when he was a kid . It would'nt run unless unbolted from the machine. I guess my Grandmother said she could wash the clothes faster on the wash board. Pull a camper 150 miles set out the lawn chairs, throw the ball muffler in someone else area and kick and Kick and kick the Maytag. Someone tell me what I'm missing
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 12:18:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,395 Times in 1,155 Posts
Default Re: Maytags - Why ??????

don't hold back scott. tell us how you really feel. i bet the maytag guys don't understand our spewing, puking oil field engines either.

rod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21:38 AM
Sponsor

I still have my grandmothers maytag machine with gas engine, she used it quite a bit, ran good but they do smoke, you need that 10 feet of exhaust hose to keep the exhaust from coming back. The ones with the Briggs engines were much nicer, in the last years she used the washing machine it was converted to electric motor.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:37:44 AM
Subscriber

I think the ball shaped muffler would make a good hand hold to sling it over the hill. I'd say the Maytag man worked his rear off back in those days. One good thing came from them. That would be the Laundromat.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:21:54 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,189 Posts
Default Re: Maytags - Why?

Skidmore,
I understand they could get annoying to listen to, but not everyone has a Geiser sideshaft or a Waterloo Economy. If they put their exhaust hose under your canopy, drop it in a bucket of water, that'll quiet it down! Kevin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 06:29:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,667 Times in 1,689 Posts

I set up next to a covered up large engine one year and about 10:00am the guy showed up, uncovered the REID, and it was LOUD with a 6" +/- exhaust. I went to the truck and got some ear plugs that didn't help much. I shut down and wandered around till he shut it down every hour or so and played with my stuff for 10 minutes . Never had the smokey Maytag problem, but know some that just love ole "SMOKEY" no matter what it is .
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 11:34:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,154 Times in 536 Posts

Even before I was collecting engines I was interested in Radios , phonos, and early electrical things in general. I went to auctions and flea markets several times a week. I was ask many times, Most of the times by women "What do you do with that stuff?" My standard answer was "What do you do with Your dolls and tea cups?" It is interesting to find that one collector doesn't understand why anybody could be interested in something different. I started collecting gas, steam and hot air engines and have found that there not a lot of people out there that have very little mechanical understanding/ability. The history of engines, the different designs,and improvements that led up what we have today. The large industrial engines and the small engines to run small machine (grinder or washing machine) on a family farm. Beautifully made mechanical things are my art work. I can understand that one may not have an interest in another persons hobby, But to show intolerance to another persons interests is not showing any understanding. As an example , how many have of you heard "Why don't get rid of this junk". Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28:47 PM
Registered-I

Why not just take the exhaust and kick it back under their canopy?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fabricator For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 06:00:08 PM
Subscriber

The thought crossed my mind, but the wind wasn't in my favor anyway.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:14:47 PM
Registered-III

I think I would have kicked the muffler back onto them. Then I would have said if you mix your oil and gas right you would have less smoke to irritate others and less fouled plugs. I would have at least said something to them about it. I would not have drove 150 miles back home and tell others. I do agree with you that it is irritating! Alot of different engines are irritating! That is part of an engine show, or so I thought?

I know Maytags are just junk! They gotta be, we keep hearing it from a bunch of people. BUT MILLIONS of people said different. If they were such junk why did they corner the market? Out of hundreds of washing machine companies they were the strongest longest lasting (until they were fully electric, when they were bought out, must have used to much of the wrong electricity?) I know other people who actually used them have dislikes of them but many of us collectors collect them because of our family members before us had good luck with them. My grandmother would have said that your father was crazy, she loved her Maytag. She used it under gas until the 1950's then grandpa put electric to it (when the town got electricity) and she used that same machine until 1983 or 4ish. After that machine was retired we (dad, brother and I) put the gas engine back on and showed it at shows. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I have no beef with you, but at the last show I was at my buddy Jeff was breaking in his new rings in a twin and didn't offend anyone because he still knows how to mix his fuel.
Being a Maytag owner I know some smoke is going to be present but there has to be a middle ground somewhere, hopefully we all can find it.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:16:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,066 Posts

I've had a few Maytags in my past and past and may have one again someday. I remember seeing a Maytag ejector(catapult) at a show way back in late 80's or early 90's. I don't like to set up by folks with Maytags but I do tolerate them. A Reid is really just an oversize Maytag anyway. That's what my friends tell me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwayne Fuller For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 07:49:15 PM
speleausmining

Sounds like you fell victim to lack of consideration for others. Theres alot of things you can do with a Maytag to make it more...friendly to be around. Fuel is a big one. I run mine on Naptha and Marine 2-Cycle oil so it barely smokes at all. I also, when I am running it for spectators, remove the ball muffler and put on a B&S type lawnmower muffler which quitets it down alot. I do not have a long hoze but It would make sence to me to run it back behind or under your tralier. The other thing that can help is puting a metal bucket over the muffler as it prevents oil from being flug all over the place (contained by the bucket) and muffles the sound even more. IMO Maytags have a place in my collection because they were a significant development in washing machines. They were also in most cases the first power washing machine most farms had. I have never taken my maytag to a show but I have seen them at shows and really like one thing I saw. At that show someone had a complete Maytag washer but only started it for an interested party and only ran it for a few minutes at a time. I guess the big lesson here is whatever your running at a show just be aware and consiterate of others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,398 Times in 1,543 Posts

The guy should NOT have put the exhaust under your canopy, or pointed it in your direction.

Last edited by HBurk; 10-03-2011 at 03:41:01 PM. Reason: can't spell.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 09:30:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,603 Times in 614 Posts

the maytag repair man watches my shop while im gone,he scares the hell out of a few people too....next time unscrew the pipe off a reid and turn it so it shoots back at em,you could set the oiler to drip faster too that will add a little smoke...........john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0266.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	117347   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0267.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	117348  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmer John For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26:23 PM
Subscriber

Marc P, The maytag owner drove the 150 miles to the show. Thats what I can't understand ??? Why ?? and no family ties to a Maytag washing machine. Got it off Ebay. Dawayne, as for the REID being just a oversize maytag.Have to think on that for a while, may need some help on that one. Oh I get it now. you have to kick start both of them. I'm a little slow.. Maybe someday I'll appreciate the sights, sounds and odors of the Great Maytag http://youtu.be/ovgm0silujY

Last edited by Skidmore; 10-02-2011 at 11:05:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46:46 PM
Registered-I

I thought the whole point of this hobby is to enjoy all things mechanical. If people in the hobby keep bashing "Maytags" and other small engines, the younger generation will not continue to carry on. With people paying outlandish prices for engines the young persons wanting to enjoy the friendship of older collectors, cannot do so. The small engine is a great way to welcome young people to the hobby. We should all just bite the bullet and enjoy the wonders of mechanical ingenuity.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jkt73 For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 10:59:39 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmore View Post
I think I saw that engine at the "By the lake show " back in July , No wait that might have been Steve's 15 hp Reid .

Pete
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Nichols For This Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 11:13:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,395 Times in 1,155 Posts

after my wife read your thread, she decided to have me post a reply for her. this is her horseless carriage powered by a "MAYTAG". she is going to bring it to harrisville and park beside you at the show on the lake. any one out there with a maytag should show up and make some smoke. remember scott, that reid pumped the oil that makes the maytags smoke. i'm glad the stakers will be on your ass instead of mine for once. i might bring a oil field engine though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4423_opt.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	117374   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4435_opt.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	117375   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4437_opt.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	117376   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4444_opt.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	117377  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 10-03-2011, 12:23:18 AM
Subscriber

Rod, brought this on myself didn't I . This year at the by the lake fall show. I'm bringing a V671 Detroit diesel. Let it run @ 2000 RPMs with no exhaust the whole weekend long. Got it off Ebay. Great big loud,stinky smokey engine. Everyone should love it. The engine came out of a truck that hauled maytag engines from the factory to hardware stores all over the country. Great piece of mechanical history. What do ya think???
Old 10-03-2011, 12:23:23 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,590 Times in 904 Posts

[QUOTE= If people in the hobby keep bashing "Maytags" and other small engines, the younger generation will not continue to carry on. With people paying outlandish prices for engines the young persons wanting to enjoy the friendship of older collectors, cannot do so. The small engine is a great way to welcome young people to the hobby. We should all just bite the bullet and enjoy the wonders of mechanical ingenuity.[/QUOTE]
Most collectors have a small engine or 2 sitting around that have no interest in. If a young person shows interest give it to them, Help build interest in our hobby ( even if its a maytag ). Bill K
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldproff For This Post: