Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Maytags - Why?

this thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 11339 times

Old 10-07-2011, 11:58:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 331 Posts
Default Re: Maytags - Why?

[QUOTE= Re: maytagrepairman
. So if you complain, give me three courses of action to fix it so that all can benefit. So for all the complainers out there come up with ways so that we all can get along and have a good time and show off what we have regardless of the professional paint job or just pulled out of its long resting place.[/QUOTE] 1. Maybe we could ban together and educate Maytag owners that improperly mixed two cycle gas fumes burns the nose, eyes and throat. 2. Maybe one of the fine craftsman here on Smokstak could design, patent and manufacture a smokeless stealth exhaust system, quiet & clean burn 3. Or maybe we could set up a designated area, with a wind vain so others would know not to get downwind of them. We all know this is all BS but it's the best I could come up with. Background: I don't think anyone really cares do they ??????
Old 10-08-2011, 06:23:47 AM
Joe B

I think maybe a little cheese would go good with all this wine. If there wasn't a Matag in the world some of these folks would whine about something at at the show, to much dust, had to walk to far to the restroom,someome at the gate did not smile at them just right,could not park their truck and tool box(beer cooler) close enough. If you have ever been involved in putting on a show I am sure you have met a few of them.

Last edited by Joe B; 10-08-2011 at 07:07:06 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 10-08-2011, 08:19:01 AM
Registered-III

Joe B, what you said. Except with no Maytag (the company itself) people might just be whining in a different language. Many people don't know the same company made all kinds of parts for American bombers, fighter planes, tanks and a host of other items. Many of the hydraulic systems on many aircrafts were designed and or reengineered by Maytag engineers. During WWII, washer production stopped, so to let full production of items for the war efforts. Don't forget the stinky little Maytag twin generator designed for use for the military. Also the 1 HP upright was used for some military functions as well, this means they were a part of WWI as well. We cannot forget the thousands of jobs provided by Maytag also. During the time these stinky little creature were being made, the "Maytag Marauder" was named. It was a B-26 bomber that was paid for with bonds bought by Maytag employees (1943.) Which language does everyone preffer, German or Japanese? Before anyone jumps at this, I know other companies helped win the war, it was not only Maytag keeping us free. It seems to me a sort of shame with all the genious designers and engineers developing these engines and so often time improper operators give them such a bad name.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Old 10-09-2011, 10:29:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,066 Posts

I new a man in Texas who had a barn(it leaked a little bit) that had about 30 Maytags in it. Setting outside was a very nice
Sta-rite and a 6hp Ohio sideshaft engine. I begged him to sell me the flywheel engines or at least let me move them inside the barn. He declined my offer. He passed away a couple of years back and the Ohio has been rescued and is in a collection in very fine shape now. I have no ideal where the Sta-rite ended up.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:02:47 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,548 Times in 2,402 Posts

I think it all boils down to lack of respect for others with the fellow putting his exhaust in YOUR area is where the root of the problem lies. If he had directed the exhaust elsewhere, it would not have been a problem. I had a couple of Maytags as a kid, also had a CT1 Stover that slung oil like nobody's business. I finally figured out a way to rig up something so the Stover wouldn't sling oil all over a 5' radius when it ran. I was one of those kids who'd start the Stover up in the morning and listen to it run ALL day long! Wasn't trying to be obnoxious, just enjoyed listening to it putt, putt, putt! Still got that old oilslinger....

Any wonder I finally worked my way up to an "OilPuke" (OilPull) and steam engines?!?!? With that said-I wouldn't be the sort to go drive my oil slingers up right next to folks with mirror-finish paint on their tractors and throw crap all over them. That's just plain obnoxious, and I ain't that way. However, if they come park by me, THEN complain....that's another matter entirely. A good friend of mine and I were going to go to the Rushville IN show, (I was staying with him and his family in Indiannapolis) and he showed up in a pair of white khaki pants....I said, "You sure you want to wear those?!?!?!" I told him he MIGHT want to wear something he didn't mind getting DIRTY....he went back upstairs and changed!

Mike M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 05:57:45 AM
Registered-III

skidmore, I think you have your answer. While there are a few people that do not like Maytags the proof is in the pudding, most people do like them. It looks as if the majority of the dislikers don't like them because of how they are being ran, not because of faulty design, but from jerks or ignorant operators who don't care or know how play well with other people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 05:04:14 PM
Registered-III

How's this for a smoke and noise free engine. Totally made from wood. How would everyone like this as a display neighbor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woody 002.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	118091   Click image for larger version

Name:	woody 001.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	118092  
Old 10-11-2011, 05:42:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,806 Posts

Maybe one of the fine craftsman here on Smokstak could design, patent and manufacture a smokeless stealth exhaust system, quiet & clean burn
We have - Run the exhaust pipe in a 5 gallon pail of water
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 08:21:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 331 Posts

Now I can handle the wooden maytag. Heard a story at this past weekends engine show of a Maytag that was displayed a few years back that had an Ax stuck in the top of it. Another gentleman remembers a maytag Catapult That must have been for the smokiest ones. If anyone has pictures or they have seen these sightings, please elaborate. I need all the help I can get with this thread.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:55:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,066 Posts

Skidmore. I saw the the Maytag with the splitting maul in it. Someone had set up a Maytag in a mill and machined a nice V in it. They inserted the spliting maul and it made a very nice Maytad display. No smoke No noise
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwayne Fuller For This Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 11:26:08 AM
Registered-III

Guy next to me actually pointed out the smoke from his 8 foot smokestak that all his maytags were plumbed into. He admired the smoke ring it was shooting out
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTexas For This Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,391 Times in 944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Fuller View Post
Skidmore. I saw the the Maytag with the splitting maul in it. Someone had set up a Maytag in a mill and machined a nice V in it. They inserted the spliting maul and it made a very nice Maytad display. No smoke No noise
I think there is a pict. of that in the archives? Believe Dave Rotel made it?Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to BobRR For This Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 03:12:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,544 Posts

Skid,
Somebody on here just acquired a bunch of Maytags. If you were of a mind to join the "RANKS", you might be able to make a major purchase. Just tryin to be helpful, over here in Virginia.
The Following User Says Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 03:42:14 PM
Registered-III

DaveTexas, We used to mix marvel mystery oil or automatic tranny fluid in our fuel for our bigger engines to make smoke rings. We all were trying to get the perfect rings. At least the Maytags are 8 feet up!

skidmore, I think the photo of the Maytag with the axe in it was in GEM also, I thought it was pretty cool actually, hopefully someone can find a picture and post it! A Maytag catapult I am sure has been made, I myself preffer to use my time for a more productive purpose, like farting in a fan. Maytag catapult......there's one that makes no sense to me.

By the way skidmore, many of your friends are getting ready to get themselves a Maytag (or are closet Taggers) because they know like any other engine with proper use/restoration they are just as reliable and one of the most recognized engines (If not the most recognized!!!!) ever produced, that's why you are not getting backed up by them, they know. We all know.

I hope you consider me more as friend than foe, we are allowed to agree to disagree. But it sure would be neat if you ran a BIG engine and properly used a Maytag for something like the water pump, they are and can be as dependable as any other good engine. They also can be quieter and the smoke can be better controlled.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:43:05 PM
Registered-II

Live and let live, Did you ask the Maytag owner if he could run the exhaust in a different direction? Most owners would understand and orient the exhaust where it causes the least problem.
I own and show several Maytags along with my big Hit and Miss Engine. This season the Maytags have drawn more attention than my Hit and Miss engines. I have had a good crowd of spectators at the shows and was even asked to take them to the Rentown show.
Live and let live. I like all types of engines, and I get a little fed up with the people that look down their nose at collectors that dont have a very rare engine of a big old oil field Hit and Miss.
I am hoping that if you respond it will be to tell me that you at least tried to talk to the Maytag owner and resolve the issues.
In reading your initial comment it sure looks like a little snobbery was involved here! If I am wrong I am sorry but it sure looks like you had a closed mind and still have.
From a member that enoys all my engines Both Hit and Miss and my three Maytags, ( They are antique engines whether you like it or not!
Roger
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exbrit For This Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26:48 PM
Subscriber

Talking Re: Maytags - Why?

Exbrit,

You hit the nail on the head....some just want to get others all worked up because he/she can't speak up for them selves...but hide behind there monitor taunting others to get his/her point across no matter how mean they sound and if you speak back they get more annoying....I have read so many threads on here and you can see so many don't like to work well with others...it their way or no way....complain if it goes right or not....another thread writer said you have complainers on if it is good or bad....cuz you didnít smile at me when I passed....or I had to park so far away....or I had to walk to far.....

You got to love it....I was going to reply earlier, but figured I would let others see what I seen days ago....may have to pack up my Maytagís and go to a show or two out East....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaytagRepairMan For This Post:
Old 10-15-2011, 06:24:38 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: Maytags - Why?

Found the Axed Maytag Photo....a friend of mine took this at Baraboo this year.....had seen it before but never took a photo of it....just figured it was a waste of an Axe....lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MaytagAxe.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	118342  
The Following User Says Thank You to MaytagRepairMan For This Post:
Old 10-15-2011, 09:00:58 PM
Registered-III

Here's a picture from Fort Valonia, Indiana today it is two Maytags. They are running, no for real they are, where's the smoke? By the way the JD E was running so rich it was blackstacking and burning peoples eyes, unfortunately my camera couldn't catch the full smoke. The picture of my merry go round on the trailer with the 1 1/2 Hercules that was blowing smoke rings (and just plain smoking). Well, Looks like Maytag won down here, they got much attention.

Now let's talk noise. That leroy twin was very loud (glad it didn't want to run)! That Witte 8 HP was nice but ran too fast and was loud. That Massey Harris (cushman) was loud. That JD E that was running rich was loud. The Hercules (yup my buddies smoker) was loud.

All in all it was a good show, with everyone putting up with their neighbors engines (the wind did help) and there were two very smokey Maytags there, did I say anything to them, heck no, I like Maytags and those who don't like them won't say anything to the offenders why should I?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FT Valonia 025.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	118353   Click image for larger version

Name:	FT Valonia 016.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	118354   Click image for larger version

Name:	FT Valonia 018.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	118355  
Old 10-15-2011, 10:52:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,738 Times in 854 Posts

I LOVE the little trucks you've got those Maytags on!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:28:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,114 Times in 417 Posts

Hey skidmore,

I never take any Maytags to show personally. The thing I disagree with in your opening comment is that you had to put up with it for two days. I would move my stuff before I would let some clown ruin two days of fun for me. Guess you had a large engine but since you hauled it there, move it a little further. Yeah I know, it is a pain and the other guy could move easier and you've go rights. The fact is though, he aint gonna cause he is oblivious to the fact he is causing you grief and or does not care. Either ask him to move or, move yourself. If you choose to do neither then don't complain. You did nothing to change your situation. Taking action to remedy the situation is what I call "validating your bitch ticket". Now THAT should bring some comments. LOL!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Everett Hayden For This Post: