Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Engines working at shows

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2594 times

Old 07-31-2003, 12:14:48 PM
Steve Barr

Default Engines working at shows

I have been on a kick this year. Tryin to belt at least one engine up to something this year at each show I go to. My water pump has seen most of the work being all over the place from PA to KY to IN and IL.

Most recently, I ran my dad's 1/3 (or 1/4) Scale Hay Press at the local County Fair with my 1 1/2hp Gade. (picture below) We made ~100 bales with it. I never seem to get the pics when I need to, but that is the way it goes.

I had 7 engines at the fair and 6 were belted to something. It made for some great converstions. There were 4 other engines that had items belted to them and several that were just the engine alone. Not bad for an all suburb county west of Chicago.

What have you seen at shows this year that were running something ?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2003, 01:09:18 PM
Rick Strobel

Default Re: Engines working at shows

Good for you Steve!! and what a dandy haypress that is!!

I just had my first public showing with the Economy 5hp. Guys 50, 60, 70 yrs. old said they never seen a stationary. I asked "Were you a city slicker in your younger days?" They all answered yes. One lady asked is that powering your truck? I'm still bleeding from the hole I bit in my lip .

And of course the usual "Whad they use'm for?" Will take some pictures of "Working engines" when I go to the Montana shows.

You can see "Eco" at the below link. Click on " 5 hp Economy Engine." They should be the few last pix's. You can see she was in good hands. later, RickinMt.

http://community.webshots.com/user/stroberc
Old 07-31-2003, 01:44:18 PM
tim moisio

Steve, Nice scale model of working hay baler. I too purchased plans for a 1/3 scale hay baler and it took me a year to complete the project, but is well worth the effort. I to like to see a engine belted to something. My 1 1/2 hp Economy powering my hay baler at shows always draws a crowd. Really enjoy talking to old timers who actually worked baling hay when they were kids usuing this style baler. I really pump out the bales at about 6 to 9 bales an hour at shows, probably could do more ,but too busy talking. thanks for the picture.

Tim
Old 07-31-2003, 02:12:41 PM
Norm S

Here's my show trailer. I have a 4HP Novo belted to a Leitz burr mill, my 6HP Jaeger belted through a right angle step-up gear box off a Case baler to my Meadows stone mill, and my daughters 1-1/2 IHC LA belted to a Savage corn cleaner! Coming in the future is my Remmell corn husker...

Norm

Old 07-31-2003, 02:51:13 PM
Jim Tremble

I have been serching for the plans and can not find them. Where does a person get the plans for these balers ?? I have asked Richard to check the past issues of GEM and he can not seem to find the ad.

That baler would be great belted up to my home made tractor. I NEED ONE !!!!!!!

Jim

Old 07-31-2003, 03:10:42 PM
tim moisio

Jim, Contact Ron Schulz " The baler Man" 6000 Quail Lane Enid,OK 73703-9334 1-580-234-8485

Definitely a labor of love ,but worth the effort. He has plans for 1/6 and 1/3 scale

Tim
Old 07-31-2003, 04:05:18 PM
Steve Barr

Tim has the right info. The plans from the Bailer man cost ~$40, he says that it takes him ~160 hours to make one over 6 weeks. His cost ~$3000...That is less than $20 an hour not counting materials....

Our baler has a clutch pulley, hand brake against the flywheel, and leather teeth (instead of metal) for safety reasons. The leather works just fine and won't catch your fingers.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:57:36 PM
Registered-III

Hello All~

Just in case you missed the pic, here is my 8HP Associated belted up to an old IHC baler, baling straw from a thrashing machine. Made about 12 bales. This was at the Delaware County Antique Farm Machinery Assoc. Summer Harvest Festival. The fall show is Nov 1st & 2nd. The fall show will consist of corn from the field to corn meal, the whole process as it was done around the turn of the century using period equipment. The link below is the 8 hooked up to a drag saw at the Plain City, OH show. ~Keith in Delaware, oHIo

Here is a pic of the 8 belted to a drag saw.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:30:14 PM
Bob Ronning in ILL

Here is a photo of a Sandwich hay press that I feed at the Sandwich Fair a few years ago. I have been told that It will be there again this year.

Old 07-31-2003, 08:50:39 PM
Bill Decker

July issue of GEM, page 62 bottom center. E-mail address is also available. He list 1/16, 1/8 and 1/6 scale.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:20:59 AM
Jim Tremble

Thanks Guys for the info. Time to get busy on this project.

Jim
Old 08-01-2003, 09:11:51 PM
Elden DuRand

I exercise my ZC-52 by hauling my butt around at shows. That way I can see everything and let a lot of folks see my engine.

That's why they're called butt buggies.

Take care - Elden

Old 08-02-2003, 10:22:54 AM
Kevin

Here's my display. 1-1/2 hp Rockford w/ Myer's pump & Champion Blower & Forge drill press. 3 hp Witte w/ Dempster No.1 Feed Grinder.

Kevin's Old Iron
Old 08-02-2003, 12:34:54 PM
Mike in NC

Here is a picture of my wife and I's 1938 Briggs & Stratton WMI 1/2 hp engine and our fan to keep cool at the shows. It works real well.

Mike and Jen's Old Engines