Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Winch from Harbor Freight

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 4324 times

Old 09-13-2005, 07:07:36 PM
Registered-III

Default Winch from Harbor Freight

I see Harbor Freight has an 8000# winch with a lot of nice options on it. Does anyone have any experience with these winches? Price is right, but are they any good. I would use the winch on my trailer about 4 times a year.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2005, 08:23:32 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Winch from Harbor Freight

Yes, I have a friend who bought one this spring for a very abusive and demanding job. It has proven to be very durable. He paid 250.00 with all the available discounts. I just laughed at him when he bought it....but two weeks ago I bought one too!!! I'll build a 2" square mount, so that I can use it on the front & rear hitch recievers on the truck, on various equipment trailers, on a yarding rig used in the woods, and on the rear of my tractor. The unit comes in two boxes; one box contains the mounting plate which has a hawse plate casting. I will be modifying this plate to add a roller fairlead. If you buy this winch, they will offer you a service contract for a few extra bucks. I think I bought a 2 year service plan, which is certainly affordable given the cost of the winch.
In a way I hate to deal with HF because it supports foreign manufacturers.
But for a savings of $2000 I'm swallowing my pride. If the domestic manufacturers are concerned about this, maybe they can start selling their hardware for affordable prices. Good luck with your project