Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

trailer dovetail

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 5416 times

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 01:19:23 PM
kyle blankenship

Default trailer dovetail

would it look stupid if i have built a flatbed out of a trailer that has a dovetail? i took the trailer from my dad(actually i just claimed it for no reason) years ago and now im going to engines on it. but its has a dovvetail. i am going to make it a fltbed has anyone ever done this before?--kyle
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2002, 08:12:55 AM
MARK

Default Re: trailer dovetail

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.IF THE DOVE TAIL HAS ENOUGH DROP,YOU COULD JUST LET YOUR FLOOR CONTINUE ON STRAIGHT BACK AND BOX THE DOVE IN AND USE IT FOR STORAGE.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:39:45 PM
Steve Gerot

Be careful how much weight you add to the rear. If you get to little or neg. tongue weight it will make for a trailor that pulls very poorly when empty.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:52:25 PM
kyle blankenship

this trailer will never be empty the engines will be permately mounted. there isnt a whole lot of drop maybe 10 degrees or something slight but it nothing tramatic or of that nature--kyle
Old 03-11-2002, 08:05:10 PM
David Greenwalt

Hi Kyle, the way I read the posting is that you want to get rid of the dovetail. No problem, just cut the frame where it bends down. Start from the bottom, do not go all the way thru, stop when you get to the top of the frame, jack it up level, and weld some c-channel in there. I would extend the c-channel at least one foot, two if you have room, on either side of the cut. You shouldn't have any trouble with it. Later.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:26:55 AM
kyle blankenship

its not that easy that was my first alternative. the steel that is the dovetail is 8 inch c channel times six its a heavy duty one. so i was just going to add a "flatbed"--kyle
Old 03-12-2002, 10:12:20 AM
Steve Gerot

you could also make a few wedges to bolt under the engines unless they are on carts. That might actually look ok
Old 03-12-2002, 11:07:10 AM
David Greenwalt

Hi Kyle, hmm, didn't realize you were talking about such a heavy duty trailer. Seems like an awful lot of trailer and weight to haul around if the only thing you are going to use it for is a permanent show trailer. Have you considered trading it for a lighter trailer plus some cash? It would be less wear and tear on your truck, better fuel milage, plus some money to buy more engines or go to shows with. Not to mention sitting out in a field with all that weight and it starts raining. Whatever you decide, have fun and good luck. Later.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:07:53 PM
kyle blankenship

the trailer is heavy duty it is a tri axle. the truck im gojng to be pulling it with is my dads 1999 ford f-350 powerstroke deisel whick that should have no prob. im not worried about the trailer snking because we go to shows with our buddies and they have a jonhdeere lindeman crawler plus dads truck is 4x4 soo as i get it done ill try to post photos on here--kyle
Old 03-12-2002, 09:45:55 PM
Dave Showerman

Kyle, I don't have anything to add re: the trailer. However, I'm blown away with the wisdom posted by others. Harry, This IS a great service. Thanks, Dave in Holt.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:09:32 AM
kyle blankenship

there are alot of people that do have some really smart ideas.--kyle
Closed Thread