Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Trailer Mounted Engines

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 5234 times

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 06:53:49 PM
Tim Claremont

Default Re: Trailer Mounted Engines

Well, automakers have been making cars with brakes on all four wheels for the better part of a century. The vast majority of the trailers that I see in this weight range have brakes on only one axle.

A trailer, by definition, has the advantage of a lead vehicle that can slow the momentum. A car or truck has no such advantage.

In theory, more brakes will usually be better. However, I am not experienced enough to conclude that this is always the case. I can picture scenarios of trailer brakes locking up prematurely, etc. I surmise that this is a function of a poorly setup brake controller more than anything else, however.

As for NY State Inspection, I brought the trailer to a trailer dealer today that also does inspections. The trailer passed inspection using technicians that had just been recertified within the last week.

I waited until AFTER the inspection was conducted to bring up the brakes issue. His answer was that the law states that the trailer must have brakes. My trailer does, in fact, have brakes. He went on to say that there was no mention in his training or guidebook that says ALL axles must have brakes. He did, however, protect himself to some extent by saying that they may be required on all axles on heavier trailers.

With all of that being said, bear in mind that I am not arguing that having brakes on both axles would be "better", I am merely trying to find out what the law says, and why the vast majority of trailers in my area have brakes on one axle if so many people insist that they are required on both.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2002, 09:20:18 PM
Tom Marshall Jr.

Hi Tim: In Pa. over 3000lbs. brakes are required on every wheel.I also read in a road atlas other states require brakes when over 2000 lbs. If you plan to travel you could read a atlas, they have rules for every state on ther towing laws. good luck Tom in w. Pa.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:56:07 PM
Franz

Tim, you've touched on a couple truths here, starting with NYS DMV doesn't know a damn thing about what they are doing. NY doesn't have any regulation on how many axels must have brakes on them on a trailer like yours. Now, if you think DMV is the only bastian of fools in our state GOOBURMUNT, wait till you experience Region 8 of DEC when it comes to gasoline spills. NY will give you greif big time if one of the 3 Safety Qualified Truck Inspectors in this county who know what end of the trailer goes down the road first catch you on the road without a breakaway switch and battery on the trailer. Fortunately, most of the time, those 3 are usually inspecting shiney 18 wheelers, because they don't want to get their grey uniform dirty. There is a lot to be said for a dirty truck.

Many states are currently going to a regualtion that requires brakes on every axel, and in some of them, you will be "red tagged" and hauled off on a flatbed if you only have brakes on 1 axel on a multi axel trailer. My personal opinion is all axels need brakes. Multi brake systems can lock up independantly if they are not adjusted properly, not because of improperly set controllers. More often, they will fail to work properly because of insufficient current carrying capacity in the wiring. As long as you stay off 104 West of the river, you'll probably never get inspected. The main thing you need to worry about is insurance on the trailer.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:14:51 AM
Patrick Marsh

If your trailer and tow vehicle are legal in the state where they are titled, and you are a private person NOT a commercial enterprise, DOT and Highway patrol in other states cannot bother you.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:04:40 AM
SAM

TIM I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT BRAKES. I DONT HAVE THEM ON MINE AND IT STOPS JUST FINE.4HP STOVER.6HP NOVO VERTICAL. 5HP HERCULES.1LB 3HP FB.2HP CUSHMAN SATTLEY. 3HP CUSHMAN.BRAKES ARE KINDA LIKE WEARING YOUR SEATBELT SOME DO SOME DONT. IF WE HAD A LAW THAT SAID YOU MUST WEAR WASHPOT ON YOUR HEAD WHILE DRIVING SOME PEOPLE WOULD DO IT.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:55:22 PM
BobRR

This is what the mich. state police said trailer over 5500# brakes on all axles. trailer 3000to5500# no brakes unless trailer weights more than 40% of tow vehicles weight then trailer needs brakes on all axles. 3000# and down no brakes required. My trailer is older with only brakes on one axle they weren't sure if I would have to change the other axle over to brakes or not.(grand fathered in?) One thing about brakes even if only on one axle is that will help keep you from jack knifing in a panic stop!!!! New trailers also have a break away switch. BobRR
Old 06-20-2002, 10:27:51 PM
Tim Claremont

OK, after mounting all of the engines on the trailer I just was not happy with the amount of weight I was carrying on those crappy old deck boards. So, you guessed it, I pulled off all of the engines and yanked all of the old decking off.

While the deck was off I rewired the entire trailer, and even put some backup lights on. The breakaway unit is installed as well. These jobs are MUCH easier with the deck removed!

I then brought the trailer (with no deck mind you) to the lumber yard and laid the 2x10s right on the trailer and cinch-strapped them down. The trip home was fun because the boards hung off the back of the trailer by 3.5 feet! The tail ends bounced around like a diving board!

Once home the circular saw made quick work of cutting the boards to the proper length.

I am now MUCH happier with the trailer, and much more confident.

Anyway, when I removed the Economy engine from the trailer, I threw it on an original Economy saw rig cart while I was working on the trailer. Since it looked so good at home on the cart, I figure I might just leave it there!

Old 06-20-2002, 10:32:31 PM
Tim Claremont

more pics...

Old 06-20-2002, 10:33:07 PM
Tim Claremont

more pics...

Old 06-20-2002, 10:33:43 PM
Tim Claremont

more pics...

Old 06-20-2002, 10:34:18 PM
Tim Claremont

Just had to throw this one in...

Old 06-20-2002, 10:39:17 PM
Tim Claremont

By the way, you will notice in the picture above that the cover from a can of spray paint covers the oiler pipe quite nicely!

The reason for the cap is because I learned long ago to NEVER hoist an engine with the oiler in place!
Old 06-21-2002, 12:17:01 AM
Steve

I'll take a trailer with brakes anytime over a trailer without brakes!
Old 06-22-2002, 04:07:44 AM
Kiwi

PS if you do decide to fit brakeson the other axel, while your at it can you move the pile of garden bark on your drive, sort of spoils my virtual walk through and will please the wife no end.

Kiwi Todd
Old 06-22-2002, 07:56:35 PM
Bill Decker

Hey look, spectators coming to see the engine show.
Closed Thread