Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

New Engine Trailer

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2714 times

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 06:06:15 PM
Jeff Conner

Default New Engine Trailer

I am going to buy a new covered trailer for engine shows. The pickup beds are running upwards of 36" high making loading more difficult and the load is open to the elements. I tend to research everything to death before I buy so instead, I was hoping to get a consensus from more experienced trailer owners. 12' floor length should be fine for me. Questions remain like, single or dual axle, type of tie downs, ramps or drop down door, etc. I would appreciate knowing what has worked well and what hasn't. I limit myself to 4hp and smaller engines. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2003, 07:12:05 PM
Kevin Hesse

Default Re: New Engine Trailer

Tandems ride better I think. Also if I were to do it over I would get one with the pointed front, big help in wind resistance. Also E-track on the floor like semi trailers use with movable hold downs makes tieing down the engines easy. And like building a garage, what ever size you get you'll wish it was bigger. Kevin
Old 08-10-2003, 08:10:12 PM
David Reichert

Rubber torsion type springs ride lot better than the leaf kind. If you arent going far or fast the wedge front may not be worth the cost or loss of useable space. Chip guard on the front will save the front of the trailer from dings and scraches from rocks thrown up by tow vehicle. Look at the floor structure, some have the "joists" closer together than others and that makes the floor a lot more solid. Some have better grade of plywood in floor also. If you buy new you can order what you want.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:58:17 PM
Kris Meddock

I have been towing all kinds of trailers for years , both tandem and single and i have built a few along the way but the single thing that has helped me the most is a load leveling hitch. it will level out a toungue heavy load and help keep the trailer from swaying and most of all....the trailer cant come unhitched !!!!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 01:07:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,880 Times in 1,733 Posts

I trailered for years without a load leveling hitch. Boy, what a difference. I agree with Kris, don't leave home without a load leveling hitch, and a dual axel trailer with brakes. Paul , getting ready for "BREAK" on third shift in Pa.
Closed Thread