Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Roadside Service

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2628 times

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 08:02:54 PM
Charlie Bryant

Default Roadside Service

Know your roadside service. On my way home from Cool Springs swap meet a couple of weeks ago I blew a right tire on my single axle trailer on I-70 near Dayton, Ohio. I had two 3 HP vertical Titans and one 6HP "M" on the trailer. I was supposed to meet Arnie in Richmond, Indiana to deliver the 6 HP "M". No problem. For the first time in over 20 trips to Maine I bought a new spare wheel and tire before leaving Missouri.I removed the wheel with the blown tire. Lo and behold the new wheel was the wrong size. I called my roadside service and told them I needed the new tire taken off the new wheel and put on the wheel with the blown tire They said sorry we can't do that, only change the wheel. Goodby. I called 911 and told them I needed to talk with a State Highway Patrolman. They got one on the line. He said I will have help there at once. A tire company service truck out of Dayton did arrive and 20 minutes and $85 later I was on my way to meet Arnie. The spare wheel and tire I had purchsed was for my dual axle trailer and I didn't know one was 5 inch spacing and the other 5 1/2 inch. I now have two new tires on my trailer and a new spare wheel and tire and also a new Roadside Service.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2002, 10:04:06 PM
SIMON THOMSON

Default Re: Roadside Service

A week ago on friday whilst doing home deliveries for a local Chinese restaurant the camshaft siezed on my car bringing the valves and pistons together, well you know what that means rather than me typing a long spiel.

I phoned my mother to get a tow home as it was only 7 miles which would mean being home and getting a spare car and back to work earning within half an hour.

Rather than getting the kids into the car and using her car to tow mine she suggested using the road rescue service that we're all paying for. I said yeah we're paying for it we might as well use it.

After an hour she phoned the mobile phone to ask how we got on. No sign of the patrol man and as our phone battery was running low she phoned to see what the hold up was.

Half an hour later the control centre phoned us to ask what the problem was and where exactly we were. I explained to them what happened and they said there was no point in sending out a patrol they would just send out a local recovery firm to take us home.

Eventually after 3 hours freezing in a car at night at minus 5 degrees C we were recovered and taken home. Too late to return to work and earn money.

This is the biggest rescue service in this country and advertise rapid rescue and response.

Needless to say their policy renewal which is due has been cancelled and everyone I know are doing the same.

The following week i saw one of their patrols parked half a mile from where we broke down and he didn't move for over 2 hours.

We are now with another service just in case something happens travelling between shows or on vacation. Just my tuppence worth.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:17:04 PM
Dave Showerman

Charlie, So glad to hear that no one was hurt. I have a spare, but think I'll make sure it has air. PS The United is starting on first crank since its gotten cooler. Dave in Holt.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:03:11 PM
Registered-III

Charlie~

Definitly a couple of items to check before those long trips!! I installed thoes auto greasers on my wheel hubs before my last trip. Burned up wheel bearings are another think you don't want to deal with on a trip!

~Keith
Old 10-30-2002, 11:49:44 PM
smootz

Don't depend too much on those auto greasers. I build several commercial trailers each year and deal directly with Dexter Axle and Henschen Industrial. Engineers from both plants have warned me to physically clean and pack bearings (even autolube) every 15,000 miles or so. The auto lubes actually build up more heat in the hub because there is no air space to dissipate to. Potentially the grease could break down sooner. Also if the hub is full and the grease heats and expands you know what is going to happen to the rear seal. There is no advantage to shoving a bunch of extra grease into the hub as long as the bearings are full. It is a sales gimmick.I don't use them anymore.

So many people check their truck before a trip and never give the trailer a thought. Air in the tires, bearing maintenance, and a good spare may save you a breakdown or even an accident.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:13:53 AM
Registered-III

Smootz~

One thing I did check specifically because I thought I was hauling at near the limit of my trailer, was the temp of my hubs every time I stopped. (2200 mile round trip) which was also the reason I got the auto greasers. There was not even the slightest indication of ANY heat being generated, which by the way kinda surprised me! And I would agree, an auto greaser in no way replaces regular maintenance, but if there is a grease fitting, a person is more likely to give it some grease. On the other hand, how many trailer wheel bearings go with out any maintenance at all because of negligence or because the owner knows nothing about wheel bearings? ~Keith
Old 10-31-2002, 10:26:55 AM
smootz

Hi Keith. I did not mean to belittle your purchase of the autolubers. I just wanted to make sure no one depends on them to replace normal maintenance. When 2 axle manufacturers give the same advice it throws a red flag up for me. Winter is a good time to check bearings when we aren't rushing to get ready for a show.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:37:49 AM
Tony Leonard

Charlie, this is a hypothetical question:

How long do you think those Engines would have "waited" for you if you would have left them on the side of the road all alone and went somewhere to get your tire changed???

I have a good friend that had a bad experience with these "Roadside Services" as well. He was pulling a trailer home from Portland with his van and the van broke down. When he called for "help", he told them to send a rollback with the capability of also pulling his trailer. Finally when the "Help" showed up, they had brought two towing vehicles. He LATER learned that the "Roadside Services" package that he had purchased only provides towing for one vehicle and a trailer is NOT included so he had to pay the tow bill for his trailer. What a rip-off considering one rollback could have both carried his van and towed his trailer thus eliminating a second tow bill.

Y'all had better read the "Fine" print on these deals before sending in your $$$.

Glad you made it home OK Charlie and thanks for the warning.

Tony Leonard's PoP Engines
Old 11-01-2002, 02:49:04 PM
ralph leonard

Hi, let me finish Toney's story. After a frustrating conversation with --- motor club the van and trailer were towed to the auto dealer on Sunday. Repairs could not be made until Monday and even though our roadservice coverage provided hotel lodging, I did'nt feel comfortable leaving the trailer with two engines and a motorcycle unattended. The $45 for the second wrecker did'nt hurt as bad as the feeling of deception. While trying to sleep with my sleeping bag spread across several engines I can still hear my wife saying, GET OVER IT. My advice to anybody that tows a trailer with valuable cargo is check out your equiptment and learn what your service policy does NOT cover. Ralph (cant wait for next season) Leonard.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:03:40 AM
Adam Cottrill

Road Service providers and insurance providers must share the same Bar..... you pay them money but you only find out they dont work when you need them most.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:09:56 PM
Steve Gerot

B bought a new Pick up a while back. It came with G.M. roadside assistance. I went out to go somewhere on a friday night when it was about a week old(had less then 50 miles on it)and it would not start. The dealer was closed so I called the # in the owners manual. Once she learned I was safe at home she told me I would have to wait and call the dealer on monday morning. About a week later I got the new owners survay in the mail asking how I liked my new vehicle. It made me feel a lot better to ripp them a new 1 and return the form, but Im sure no one really cared as I never heard back from them. I wonder if the ole herc came with some kind of emergency service.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:55:33 PM
Bill Decker

Don't tell me a wire on the starter was loose?? That's what happened to mine a couple days after I bought it. Fortunatly for me, I caught a ride to work with my cousin then called the dealership to have them take care of it. They sent someone out that day and I picked it up after work. Loose wire on the starter from the factory.... must have been a Monday truck
Old 11-02-2002, 10:49:13 PM
Steve Gerot

No. I don't take out my keys at home. On the new GM's just shutting off the switch is not enough. If you dont push the button and turn the ignition to the spot where the keys come out they draw juice. I guess it is for the digital guages. It would sit 2 or 3 days one time and start right up the next it would go dead over night. It was an Isuzu Hombre which is basically an S10 only cheaper.
Closed Thread