Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

loading winches and ramps

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3177 times

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 12:48:46 AM
Dick Webber

Default loading winches and ramps

My show hauler is a 97 2WD Chev 1500 extra cab with short bed and a 350 V8. It has a camper shell which makes a nice place to sleep. I haul a 5' x 10' trailer with 5 small engines mounted and it does a fine job with decent fuel economy and great comfort. I want to equip this with a winch in the bed and ramps so I can load a couple of 1 3/4 horse engines on trucks by myself.

Anyone have any ideas about best way to do this?

Dick Webber Kentucky
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2002, 01:59:58 PM
Tom W

Default Re: loading winches and ramps

Dick, I have a Ford F-150 and have mounted a small electric winch in the front of the cargo body. It came with a reversing switch, but was not used to save on wiring. Instead, the 2 wires were run up close to the truck bat. One of the leads was connected through a relay obtained from auto parts sources and alligator clips were installed on both of the heavier wires. An additional lighter guage wire was run near the tailgate with a connector installed. Another lead was plugged into the tailgate connector with a pushbutton on it which was long enough to reach the end of the ramps. When the button was pushed, the relay closed, and the winch began to run.. The alligator clips were connected to the bat. and could be reversed (pos./neg.) to reverse the winch.. The ramps are made from 2x12 lumber with metal ramp hardware on the tailgate end with holes to secure them with pins. After the hardware is installed, cut the length to the length of the cargo body and store them alongside the engines. This has worked for me for 6 years to transport a 3 HP engine Tom W.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:22:17 PM
Tom W

OOPS, I forgot to mention where the lighter wire from the tailgate connector went. This wire was connected to the relay engagement circuit, whereas if it were grounded to the truck body, the relay would close and the winch would run.. Sorry About That I hope this helps.. any questions, E-Mail me Tom W.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:37:09 PM
Dick Hamilton

I have an older 1500 winch with a relay mounted in the front of the trailer. I also have a smaller winch I can mount in the front of my Chev P/U. i use a quick connect to attach to a battery that I keep charged up. Can use it either place as needed. I mainly use the traler when I have my pop up camper on and if I'm going to a show for just one day I put whatever I'm taking in the truck bed. Works fine. Dick in NY
Old 11-20-2002, 01:15:23 PM
jd_mike

Being a pup at 26, I use brute force and a set of 12' ramps. I could have went with shorter ramps, but then it would take 2 people to load and unload. I have seen a pretty good setup using a hand crank boat winch. It was stout enough to roll a 4hp Bullseye into the guy's truck.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:41:51 PM
CJ Winslow

I have a run-of-the-mill boat winch on the front of my trailer. It works great for anything and everything. I have dragged all kinds of things up onto my trailer with it. It will pull my 3hp Witte on a very heavy cart up the ramps without trouble. It also works well for letting engines down the ramps.
Closed Thread