Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Towing heavy load with motor home

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3602 times

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 08:27:43 AM
Charlie

Default Towing heavy load with motor home

Hello Everybody, I have a question for you folks out there. How about pulling a fairly heavy load behind a motor home? I'm talking about 10,000# or so. It seems like a 454 up front, might not have to much extra, but still do the job. I'm thinking about the long overhang at the back. Does that give the trailer more leverage on the towing unit? At swap meets, I see it done. I'm just curious to hear from someone who's been there, done that!!! Thanks, and thank you Harry, Charlie
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2003, 08:55:18 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,433 Times in 2,510 Posts
Default Re: Towing heavy load with motor home

Been there and done that. The class C's have extremely weak rear bumpers and are unable to withstand much tongue load. My C's bumper had lowered itself by an inch when I sold it. I was going to get it re-welded and reinforced, but that wasn't cost effective. So then I bought a used class A and that's the way to go, not to mention the creature comforts. They are much beefier underneath and with a heavier duty engine and transmission. Mine is a 460 Ford and has transmission and oil coolers. It pulls my Jeep Cherokee or a trailer load of engines down the road with absolutely no extra effort. (Except when you are going up a steep western mountain pass.)

The alternative (if you don't need or want the creature comforts) is to get a heavy duty pick-up with rear duals and use a slide-in pick-up camper. The camper needs to be short enough not to interfere with the hitch. This way may lack creature comforts, but you won't be accused of parking your 100 foot long motor-home while you display your lonely Maytag.

http://www.old-engine.com/koreshan.htm
Old 05-07-2003, 09:25:47 PM
D. Smith

Charlie and Harry, I agree with Harry, bigger is better. We have a class C that is 16 years young, annd we pull a trailer with the 8 hp. Challange 8 hp. 2200lbs. 3 or 4 other engines 250 to 450 each. I reinforced the frame as best as I could. Still holding but I know it's still not the best. The back end hasen't fallen off yet and I keep a close eye on the under side!! D. Smith
Old 05-11-2003, 06:38:49 PM
Gary McChesney

I also have a 16 year old Tioga on a Ford 350 with a 460 engine towing a 17ft enclosed trailer. I had the hitch welded to the frame and use load levers on the trailer. With the old Ford 460 engines the gas mileage is not that great but changes very little with speed or grade. They make a nice tow rig plus you have a place to sleep and get out of the rain or heat.
Closed Thread