Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Essex oiler on Economy XK engine

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1753 times

Old 05-09-2010, 07:58:50 PM
Subscriber

Question Essex oiler on Economy XK engine

Started working on the 1-3/4 hp Economy XK I bought this winter. This is the first open crank case engine that I have worked on. I got it to run, but there was blow back & it looked like water going up the oiler into the oil. It is an Essex oiler, the size of a #1. There is no number on it that I can find. It has a vent tube but no sign of a check ball. Is this the original oiler for an Economy XK? If not, is it an appropriate one? Should it have a check ball? Is the fact that I am getting blow by into the oiler, and that the oil turns milky, a problem? The engine has good compression, and I don't see any real blow by on past the piston when it runs. Thanks for any & all help.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 08:28:13 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Essex oiler on Economy XK engine

You shouldn't see water in your oiler, do you see water droplets in the cylinder or on the piston? I have an XK and don't remember off hand if the pipe for the oiler goes through the water hopper or not, but if yours does, check to see if it is leaking. They often crack at the bottom where they thread into the cylinder. If you see water in the cylinder or on the piston I wouldn't run it until you fix the problem, besides the cylinder not getting proper lube your piston wrist pin won't be either.

Last edited by Walt Beeman; 05-10-2010 at 09:42:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Walt Beeman For This Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 10:50:35 AM
Subscriber

Walt -

The pipe does go through the water hopper. I did not see any water on the back side of the piston but I will check it again since it has sat all night with water in the hopper. The water getting into the oiler looked like water vapor but you are right, it shouldn't be there. A crack in the pipe should be easy to check, but I would guess getting the pipe out in one piece would be difficult?

I would still like to know if this is the correct oiler & if it should have a check ball in it if anyone knows.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:22:14 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,268 Times in 327 Posts

Yes, it should have a ball in the base of the oiler.
Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Kinney For This Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 08:24:02 PM
Subscriber

Walt -

I don't see any sign of water at the back end of the piston after 24 hours, but it could be a small crack that opens when hot I suppose. Is this pipe threaded with standard pipe thread? I am afraid it will break if/when I try to take it out. I may drain the water out & see whether I see anything that looks like a crack. I can cover it with RTV or something to test it.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:20:29 PM
Subscriber

Zira,
When you ran it did you see any bubbles in the hopper? Does the oil in the oiler return to a normal color after sitting, it may just be an optical illusion because the oil is actually getting aerated by the blow by gas and not water. Try removing your oiler and pour the "oil" into a cup and see if you have water droplets in it, or air bubbles. Removing the pipe for the oiler is never easy, they usually break off right at the cylinder, there are several posts about how to get the broken piece out, it is not easy, don't go there if you don't need to. I suspect the oil is getting aerated since you find no trace of water after leaving the hopper full, that has an easy solution, put a check ball in your oiler, just make sure that oil does flow down past it. My Economy XK has a Lunkenheimer #1 on it with ball and tube that I believe is original. Let us know what you make out.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:31:50 AM
Subscriber

Walt -

I did not see any bubbles in the hopper, but the home made cart this is on moved around enough that I would not want to swear there weren't any. I am pretty sure that there was water in the oil but I did not let it sit & settle. I did see air bubbles going up into the oil when it was running despite the vent tube. I drained the hopper last night & did not see any sign on the pipe itself that it was bad, but that means very little. From your & Keith's comments, I think I will take it off the cart & put the skids on the ground, oil the cylinder & wrist pin up good, and run it a few minutes again, then check the oil as you suggested. Also start looking for an oiler with a check ball.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:24:33 AM
Subscriber

Zira,
If your oiler already has a vent tube it should also be machined for a check ball, all you should have to do is put the right sized ball into it.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:29:52 PM
Registered

Hello,
I agree with Walt, you might be getting tiny air bubbles in the oil from a slight amount of blow by. I've found one way to get away from it is to use non-detergent SAE 30 straight weight oil. These engines weren't designed to use multi-weight oil, and the oil isn't formulated to work in these kinds of engines either. It kinda goes back to the Maytag guys and what oil/mixture to use in engines that were never designed to use those oils. Don't fall for the "hype" in the TV ads. These engines have ran for many years in less than idea conditions, using oil that most of the "oil experts" wouldn't use to oil a barn hinge and they'll still be running for long time to come.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 05-11-2010, 08:23:08 PM
Subscriber

Richard, I did use straight 30-weight oil, not sure if it was non-detergent or not (I have both here for different uses). I hope you guys are right & I will try out the theory, but it really looked like water in oil (milky color, etc.). Also, can anyone point me to a drawing or picture of a dis-assembled oiler with a check ball so I can see how it should go? I would love to just replace the one missing on mine if I can figure out how it should go together.

Thanks.