Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Anyone use ATF on original Paint?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 4647 times

Old 01-12-2005, 08:41:02 AM
Registered

Default Anyone use ATF on original Paint?

I have heard of some folks using ATF on engines with original paint.Anyone on this board doing this or will it harm the fragile paint? Thanks Frank
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23:26 AM
Registered

Default Re: Anyone use ATF on original Paint?

I did it, made it real glossy and took a while to dry. once it did it looks fine.

Mac Leod
Old 01-12-2005, 12:48:44 PM
Registered

Frank~

Dr. John Wilcox, one of the founding members of the Coolspring Power Museum, uses ATF exclusively on all of his engines. That goes for his Callahan, 150HP Miller and 125HP Side Shaft Otto. If it is good for John, it is good for me
Old 01-12-2005, 01:27:28 PM
Registered

Hi,what is ATF,I'm from england we probably call it something else! Thanks John .
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40:40 PM
Registered

"Automatic Transmission Fluid"
Old 01-12-2005, 02:22:56 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts

I like LPS II. It is available from most industrial supply houses. This a product is designed specifically to protect machinery and I believe is the lowest risk product available. It will protect the bright parts from rust and makes the paint look better.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:25:29 PM
Registered

I use Gibbs lasts all winter
Old 01-12-2005, 06:36:40 PM
Registered

I though Gibbs was like a penetrating oil. I also hear transmission fluid was good to help free up siezed pistons. LPS II is designed specifically to protect machinery with a thin wax like coating. It is not supposed to penetrate. ie not penetrate "under" the paint. it also will not attract and hold dirt and grim that can act like an abrasive in the bearing of machinery. So here we have a product designed specifically and for exactly for the task at hand. That might cost 5 bucks a can, to protect what have become rather expensive toys.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:28:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 14,227 Times in 2,377 Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks for the ideas. We have tried Fogging Oil, found through our local farm store called "Farm and Fleet" but it isn't extremely long lasting and like regular oil, will attract dust, otherwise I like it very well. On my Associated 4-Mule Team, there is a lot of original paint and pinstriping. We tried Automatic Transmission Fluid and liked the sheen. There is again the concern for attracting dust. I am very interested in where specifically I can find this LPS II. I see that industrial supply houses were mentioned, but I am not sure where to specifically look around here. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!

Travis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4Mule pic 1.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	940  
Old 01-12-2005, 10:24:48 PM
Registered

I found LPS 2 and LPS 3 in McMaster Carr catalog and both should be available in any big industrial supply store. I have gallon(s) of each. Been using No 3 outside and No 2 indoors. No #3 is listed as a rust inhibitor and it sure does that. Works great outdoors under canvas and tarps. I looks a bit heavy for inside use. Ive been using #2 indoors. But,...

I did a google search and found the product web site. It says LPS 2 is safe on paint. But, also says it penetrates and lubricates. I wonder if I mixed up? Even though Ive been using LPS 2 and probably will continue. To be really safe, you might want to try lightly brushing on a thin coat of LPS 3.

From the product description for LPS 3:

LPS 3 Heavy-Duty Rust Inhibitor is a specially formulated long term corrosion inhibitor which will protect metal parts stored indoors for up to two years. When applied it forms a soft transparent waxy film which acts as an effective barrier sealing out air, acid, alkai fumes and other corrosion elements. LPS 3 is a superior lubricant for chains, cable and wire rope because it will not sling off. Its unique properties also make it ideally suited for industrial, aviation, electrical/electronic and automotive applications. .... LPS 3 does not contain chlorinated solvents, silicone or halogens and is safe to use on paints and plastics.

This is an exept from LPS 2 product description:

LPS 2 Industrial strenght lubricant is a fast acting, deep penetrating lubricant and protectant. LPS 2 provides a light oily coating that can be used on indoor equipment. Its fast penetrating action gets into hard-to-reach areas and helps loosen frozen nuts, bolts and other parts. Sprayed as a coating for interior storage, LPS 2 forms a film that provides indoor protection against corrosion for a year or more. LPS 2 does not contain damaging chlorinated solvents and is safe to use on fabrics, paint and plastics.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:43:18 PM
In Memory Of

I have used ATF for years on orig paint with great success. It cleans, brings out the color, and makes the engine look very pleasing. The old Dextron 2 or 3 works very well and the old Ford forumla did not works as well and coused some problems. The current new ATF standard that woks in most modern transmission has caused no problems. Mixed with 80-140 gear oil it is great for polished metal protection.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:36:43 PM
Registered

Thanks every body. Frank