Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Amateur "HAM" Radio
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Amateur "HAM" Radio Radio Amateurs, Morse Code, Transmitter Tubes, Vintage Equipment, Antennas

Amateur

Thanks for the forum Harry

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 516 times

Old 02-25-2019, 05:21:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,711 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default Thanks for the forum Harry

Amateur radio. I've always had a fascination for radios, when really young, 8 or 9, I built a crystal set and found that a good antenna was the key. In high school went the CB route and enjoyed it, spent the next 21 years in the Marine Corps and got to see some pretty interesting stuff. My MOS was generators and the bigger radios all needed generators so was around a lot of it.

After retiring and getting around in my second career, field service for a major generator manufacturer and ran across some folks who were running 2m/70cm mobile. The real tipping point was the day I was doing some work at the state port in Wilmington and the supervisor had a 2m HT and was working a friend in Charleston with 5 watts. When he informed me that morse code is no longer a requirement, that put me in gear and 2 weeks later I had my tech ticket.

I found there are a whole lot of different aspects to amateur radio, packet, the repeaters, slow-scan TV, EME APRS and more. You get tired of one thing, move on to something else or expand into different frequencies. While doing a whole lot of traveling, the 2m/70cm repeaters kept me occupied and then included the 6m and 220 frequencies. Folk could tell which truck was mine by the antenna sprouting from the roof.

Moved on to a different job and didn't travel near as much so took the general test and then extra. Thoroughly enjoy the hobby and have worked all continents and have logged well over 3,000 contacts. Recently found JT65 and then FT8. Got a real deal on an ICOM 910h so ready for satellite and/or EME real soon, as soon as I get the second tower up and some antennas on it.

All of my contacts have been with 100 watts or less, only use the amp on 160 meters. Most notable contact was Tajikistan on 40 m with 20 watts. It isn't for everybody but that is a hobby I thoroughly enjoy. About half of my antennas are home-built/homebrew and some work exceptionally well. The most recent build is a 2 m slotted cube built out of 1/2" copper tubing. Got about $35 in it and it works better than some commercially built that I've used.

Be happy to help and share thoughts and experiences with folks.

Thanks, Harry.

de KF4LQT Gunny
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gunny For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 08:35:53 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Thanks Harry

Thank you Harry...
This group has brought back some wonderful memories.

-Bob
Old 02-26-2019, 11:25:48 PM
Registered-II

my dad was a radio and key operator in ww2, I think that type of equipment is neat...
Old 02-28-2019, 08:07:54 PM
Registered-I

EME? cool. Do you brew your own Yagi array for that? Antarctica could also be something to shoot for from up there.

I have found FLDIGI an FLARQ to be quite neat, I'm not sure if they're available for Windows systems. They connect your PC/soundcard to your radio and provide all kinds of modulation.
I'm not so keen on everything going packet (IRLP), much prefer the old analogue tech.

You could also try catching NZ's Mountain radio service on about 3.3MHz
The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Post: