Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Amateur "HAM" Radio
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Amateur "HAM" Radio Radio Amateurs, Morse Code, Transmitter Tubes, Vintage Equipment, Antennas

Amateur

I’m an old CBer

this thread has 49 replies and has been viewed 1325 times

Old 05-06-2019, 05:02:40 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: I知 an old CBer

Back in the 70's I was into CB pretty deep.
I was KGP-7972 and KRG-3936, handle was RC, for Royal Crown Cola. I was a member of Westchester County REACT and did my share of road patrols and help with fundraising walks. Helped start a Boy Scout Explorer Post that used CBs to supply communications to various BSA functions in and around my home. Never had a SSB unit, always on a 23 channel and later a 40 channel set. My base was a Lynx by Pierce Simpson and my mobile was a Johnson Messenger .
Had a couple of Lafayette Comsat 23b walkie talkies too.
Had a great time. My base antenna was a 1/4 wave from Radio Shack. Couldn't put up anything bigger in the apartment I lived in!
Good times....was hated by the 18 wheelers back then too!

-Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2019, 06:38:07 PM
Registered-III

My handle since 1974 was Green Mountain boy Was in the army in Virginia and wanted to keep part of Vermont !
Old 05-06-2019, 07:28:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,167 Posts

I can't believe anyone had more fun on the cb, than me. We had a group of us that hung out on 10. Everyone was always picking on someone about something. It was good fun, always good ribbing. And of course we'd have what was called a rat killing. Where two stations would talk at the same time to a station away and who ever had the strongest station would be heard by the far off station. (We made several people spend more money) Of course us with beams would be talking to the off station on the flat side of the beams, pre determined to the other off station. It was the old days "Off topic Smoke Stak" I had a set of what was called "Screaming Eagles, Have that "EEEEERCH" when keying up. Sort of a give a way as who was coming on. D104's were the mike of the day, as were names like Palomar, JB. and Black Cat.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:02:52 PM
Registered-III

I had a boing when I unkeyed !

I work in a funeral home and just today took care of one of my ole CB friends from the late seventies his handle was lawn mowers he mowed lawns I know so many handle hundreds of them !
Old 05-07-2019, 08:10:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,701 Posts

You always knew when someone keyed up on a Browning base site. They had that distinctive ping from the spring on the mic switch.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:57:06 PM
Registered-III

Really would like to keep this thread going !! Harry thanks for the comeback no offense taken here I致e known for a long time Hamm and CB were like oil and water but I have to say though I didn稚 understand a DIT & DAH of it my passed away friend sure impressed me could watch him all day long !
Old 05-08-2019, 03:19:58 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,447 Times in 2,514 Posts

I should add that in the 50’s I had a visualization of the F.C.C. as men in black suits with a van full of test gear driving in, knowing that I was running too much power. My Globe Chief 90 would run 90 watts input, but the plate ammeter was marked for 75 watts, the maximum for Novice licensees. I was quite attentive to that mark. The F.C.C. had a monitoring field office in Canandaigua, New York and their field engineering office was in Buffalo. Then I got my General and then my Advanced license. No more power worries.

Later on I became licensed for First Class Radio-telephone, which included full operator privileges in the broadcast industry. I continued with full respect for the F.C.C. Up to and including 1968 when I created and wrote the construction permit applications to build a ten watt station to go on the air. Then I created and wrote the application for their increase to 24,000 watts stereo on a 400’ tower and four bay antenna. These permits and license were successfully granted without a hitch, and the station was built and went on the air with great success. I will always remember the station manager William D. Shigley who passed on from brain cancer after I retired.

Now the F.C.C. Has been cut back with an overload of new tasks on a lower budget. They are still quite able to issue a summons for total screwups.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:02:24 PM
Subscriber

Yea you got the old Beaver Squeezer here, come on back. Whats your 10-20 there buddy?
Old 05-08-2019, 04:33:07 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,597 Times in 1,654 Posts

CB handle was Captain Krunch.. My boys thought it up.. Had a CB license that I paid $20 for but later I guess you didn't need to renew.. Later I was WN9VHT and a few months later it was changed to WB9VHT. I had a Yaesu FT 401B with 11 meters installed. It put out 90 watts AM and 560 watts peak on SSB. Wish I still had it..

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 05-08-2019, 05:07:49 PM
Registered-III

Harry how the He** you end up here ???
Old 05-08-2019, 05:47:57 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I should add that in the 50痴 I had a visualization of the F.C.C. as men in black suits with a van full of test gear driving in, knowing that I was running too much power.
You triggered my memory! The guys with base stations would do a short transmission. "Uncle Charlie is in town". They would then turn off their linears and behave for a week. Driving around one day I did see an old early 60's dark blue Chevy Suburban driving around with a couple circular directional antennas on it. I was only a mobile guy and proud of my rompin stompin 4.5 watts.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:29:25 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,487 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
You triggered my memory! The guys with base stations would do a short transmission. "Uncle Charlie is in town". They would then turn off their linears and behave for a week. Driving around one day I did see an old early 60's dark blue Chevy Suburban driving around with a couple circular directional antennas on it. I was only a mobile guy and proud of my rompin stompin 4.5 watts.
"Charlie" was parked out front of my home way way back when. Sitting in his personal ride off the clock and "monitoring" my transmissions...

Wrote down the tag and had a cop friend run it. Yup! It was Charlie. About a week later "Charlie" came outside on a Sunday morning to see "who" was eyeballing his house...

Could have heard a pin drop when he recognized me! Lots of ranting and raving, threats etc. Laughed my butt off! Charlie did not like having the tables turned on him!
Old 05-08-2019, 07:04:32 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,725 Times in 4,271 Posts

EIC Bob, Well do I remember the REACT base! Ours was located in Montville NJ, near I-80 and 280, as well as US Rt 46. i spent many a night there monitoring the radios (we had 3 monitoring channels 4, 9 and 19). A second REACT base was located in Livingston NJ, but the operaters there shut down at night. Our base operated 24/7. At one time we had 17 active members!

4 was for local talking. We would be talkng to truckers on 19 and direct them to 4, which was relatively un-used in our area, to keep from tying up 19 with personal and plain chatter amongst our trucker friends. We would use 4 to relay messages to family, sometimes we would phone the families to tell them where the drivers were and their time passing thru.

19 was for road communication, where the drivers were in relation to one another, location of cops, driving conditions etc. We got to know a lot of drivers that came thru, and some even would stop by the station to thank us for the help we gave. The man and wife who ran the base were truck mechanics, and we would often go on the road to help guys in a pinch. My old 1950 IHC L-120 saw a lot of use back then. i had an air compressor on board, a box full of pneumatic and other tools, and a 20 ton jack for changing tires in the bed! Sometimes we would relay driver locations to the cops, as they reported drunks and plain idiots on the highways Sometimes we would hear of wrecks there too.

9 was the emergency channel. Serious accidents, trucks disabled on the roadway, we even had one guy report a murder! As we heard, a bunch of no hablas were drunk and kept cutting off an 18 wheeler and jambing on their brakes in the middle of I-80. We listenned to his cries for assistance for about 18 miles (from Patterson to Parsippanny NJ), and kept a running dialog with state police as the event unfolded. Then we heard from another trucker say that he 'took care of it' When we asked for an explanation, he said the no hablas finally stopped dead in the center of the highway, and got out of their car staggering drunk and armed with a couple of crow bars. The driver in the 18 wheeler they were messing with, got out of his cab with a 45 and let them have it. Result - 2 dead, 2 critical. The trucker stayed at the scene until cops we notified got to the scene. He was charged and aquitted, later at trial. The guy who ran our REACT base had to go to court to testify as to what we heard on the radio. The surviving no hablas said they saw texas plates on the truck and wanted to mess with the driver. They hated texans. WRONG guy to mess with I think!
Old 05-08-2019, 07:30:27 PM
Registered-III

You fellas lost me who was Charlie FCC? Well, they ought to see what they're running for power now 1000 watts is nothing!
Old 05-09-2019, 06:10:48 AM
Registered

KSH1644 here. Spent the 70's and 80's running VT., us I91 exit 9, to Vineland, NJ. Really appreciated the late night CB trucker conversation to keep me awake on the roads. Got pulled out from a ditch once or twice by truckers. Good fellows.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:12:03 AM
Registered-II

Back in the mid 1960s we hired 4 young fellows just out of high school because their school had an electronics program. One of them was a short fellow about 140 pounds who had an amateur license. He was watching TV in his apartment one evening and there was considerable interference which disturbed his TV set severely. Figuring it was a CB station in the neighborhood he set out driving about the area. He found a house close by with a tower with a large CB antenna on it. This had to be the culprit. With his ham license in hand he knocked on the front door. When the gentleman answered the door he flashed his FCC license and said he was from the FCC and was there to inspect his station. He was led to a small room in the back of the house that glowed from many vacuum tubes. After looking things over briefly he asked the fellow how much power he was running and not to lie because he had equipment that he could check it out. The fellow quietly said 1100 watts. He looked the equipment over for a few more seconds and then informed him that he had 1 week to dismantle his station and that he would be back to make sure that had been done. He then quietly walked out the front door, went back home and watched TV without interference.

Bob
WB8NQW
Old 05-09-2019, 07:23:24 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
EIC Bob, Well do I remember the REACT base!
Hi Andrew
We had one base that was located in White Plains NY, near where I287 and I684 came together. I would be on road patrol up and down I684.
Like yours, we monitored 9 and 19. Used either 4 or 7 for normal chat. I never had any really exciting stuff happen, but I did change a water pump on a 68 Chevy for a family from NH on the side of 684 N near the end by Brewster.
Had a great time...the only time the 18 wheelers did not hate us was when we were able to reroute them or bring them coffee while they waited on roadside repair.
Good times.
I also had to pay for my first CB license, then the Friendly Cookie Company, as we called them dropped the fees.

-Bob
Old 05-09-2019, 10:37:55 PM
Registered-III

We easily blame the demise of the CB hobby to technology I wonder! It see it start to dwindle long before the technology! I think the same thing affected the hobby, is the same here on smoke stack, the grim reaper takes his toll! I miss it I still think I’m going to set up a powerful base and do the skip scene!
Old 05-10-2019, 06:35:54 AM
Subscriber

Once the 55 mph speed limit died there was a fast decline in CB use.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 11:04:14 AM
Registered-II

I thought that the lack of respect and the language may have been a factor in the decline. For a period of time it was not pleasant to listen especially if the family members were present.

Bob
WB8NQW