Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Amateur "HAM" Radio
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Amateur "HAM" Radio Radio Amateurs, Morse Code, Transmitter Tubes, Vintage Equipment, Antennas

Amateur

Broadcast Band DX

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 503 times

Old 05-23-2019, 07:53:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default Broadcast Band DX

Anyone else love twiddling the dial on an A.M. radio after dark? Used to love it up at the cottage!
The Following User Says Thank You to Contaucreek For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2019, 05:19:49 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Bcbdx

When growing up, I used to do it on an old tube Halicrafters set. I remember listening to CKLW out of Canada. ( was in NY near the city)

-Bob
Old 05-26-2019, 08:33:42 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,495 Times in 2,522 Posts
Default Re: Broadcast Band DX

Listening to Art Bell on Coast to Coast.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 09:22:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,061 Posts

Yes, I remember as a teenager scanning the AM band for distant stations. There was KOMA in Oklahoma City or KFI in California or with luck the high power Spanish stations in Mexico.

Recently I even bought myself a good multiband radio.... only to discover my generator completely wipes out all the AM & SW bands.

Doc
Old 05-26-2019, 09:30:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,168 Posts

I remember in 1963 our 2000 watt local station signed off at 8:00. Thirsty for rock and roll, I'd find the mega station KAAY, tune 1090, in Little Rock Ark. It would boom in later when the sun went down. I want to hold your hand, and more. Several other stations but that was the best one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 12:44:30 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Bcbdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EICBob View Post
When growing up, I used to do it on an old tube Halicrafters set. I remember listening to CKLW out of Canada. ( was in NY near the city)
-Bob
I did the same with another Halicrafter AC/DC set, Could sometimes get WOWO in Ft Wayne, IN from near Boston, MA. My Dad had a whole bunch of old radios to spark my interest. One had a set of individual coils wound on a Bakelite core that you would plug into the set to change the band. Got a nasty shock pulling them out while the power was on. Last I knew my BIL got his hands on them and turned around and sold the lot for peanuts on eBay
Old 05-27-2019, 08:32:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,194 Times in 475 Posts

AM came to life after the sun went down. Used to dial in WOWO, Ft. Wayne and WCFL "Super CFL" out of Chicago. WRVA, WWVA, WKBW, WGR, and a few others too. I liked listening to WABC out of NYC. Cousin Brucie was one of the DJ's there back in the 60s and early 70s. Good times, good music. All this on a dinky little Japanese 6 transistor radio. Now I listen to Coast to Coast, Ground Zero. I also love to listen to old radio programs on station CHML 900 out of Hamilton, Ontario Canada at night.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:14:23 AM
Registered-II

I got a real surprise one night about 1964 around 12:30 am while sitting in girlfriend's family driveway in Ga. in my 59 Chevy pickup. I had a roof-mounted AM radio that was originally intended for I H C pickups The antenna was mounted on the right front fender and of course, was always extended to the max. I was scanning the dial looking for some easy listening music for smooching and stopped when I came across a distant and foreign-sounding station. After a few minutes or so of listening they identified themselves as a Dutch English language speaking station in the Netherlands and were conducting a series of distance tests for it. Sadly it faded out before I got any address or call letters. Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:18:57 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,208 Times in 1,890 Posts

When I was a very young kid, my family scrapped a working Majestic radio. It had AM, SW and aircraft bands, and was in a large, free-standing, ornate wood case. I salvaged the chassis & speaker out of it and set it up in my room.
In back, there was a heavy galvanized wire rope that was used as a dog run. It ran from the back wall of the garage to a tree about 70 feet away. It was secured by large eye-bolts that went through the corner studs in the garage wall and the tree.

There was a large steel ring that rode on the cable with a dog chain attached. At the garage, there was a flat slate for dog's food and water dishes, and an insulated doghouse with a heavy cloth door and bedding inside.

I decided to attach a wire to the garage eye-bolt and run it through my bedroom window to the antenna terminal on the radio. Reception was not what I expected. In the junk in the cellar were some ceramic shackle insulators. I installed one at the tree end of the cable, and one at the top of the dog's chain. For years, I heard AM stations from all over, Short wave, and aircraft talking.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:02:02 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADavis View Post
I got a real surprise one night about 1964 around 12:30 am while sitting in girlfriend's family driveway in Ga. in my 59 Chevy pickup. I had a roof-mounted AM radio that was originally intended for I H C pickups The antenna was mounted on the right front fender and of course, was always extended to the max. I was scanning the dial looking for some easy listening music for smooching and stopped when I came across a distant and foreign-sounding station. After a few minutes or so of listening they identified themselves as a Dutch English language speaking station in the Netherlands and were conducting a series of distance tests for it. Sadly it faded out before I got any address or call letters. Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
WHDH in Boston reportedly made it "across the pond" on several occasions, so doesn't surprise me a bit that it went the other way.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:13:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,140 Posts

Fantastic replies, thank you!

Last edited by Contaucreek; 05-29-2019 at 11:39:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:21:11 AM
Registered-II

As a teenager in the 60’s I spent many happy nights DXing the AM band.

My primary desire was to listen to rock ‘n roll. But I also enjoyed listening to baseball play by play from distant cities.

My “receiver” was an ancient Motorola vacuum tube car radio I modified to run on 12 volts AC. Antenna was a long wire - 150’ or so of salvaged railroad telegraph wire running from the side of the house to a tree out back.

My big problem was our house was only about 4 miles from the WHAM 1180 transmitter in Rochester NY. (WHAM was and still is a 50,000 watt clear channel station). Made it impossible to pick up frequencies anywhere near 1180. But I could routinely enjoy to WBZ (Boston), KDKA (Pittsburg), CHUM (Toronto) and others. And on Sunday nights when WHAM went off the air I could get WOWO 1190 in Ft Wayne.

Fond memories!