Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

I broke it

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 4018 times

Old 07-22-2012, 11:14:18 AM
Registered

Default I broke it

Forks got created outta grader blade. Framework made out of thinner stuff, forks themselves 1" thick stuff, and bolted on as I figured that they would break first... wrong.

Okay, the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say:

This thing can take everything that the tractor can put into it. I gotta mention that it ain't much. Those two logs are dry! and it barely will lift them. I had the forks stuck into the pile and tried everything to get it to lift. Nope. I broke the assembly by pushing with the tractor against the forks vertical down. That did it. It did not exactly "explode" sending shrapnel everywhere. Simply let go with a "chink"... anti climatic to say the least.

I am re-welding it with more 6011, fish plating where possible (ordinary steel for plates) and will simply not push with quite as much enthusiasm.

Tractor runs pretty good. Brakes are improving with use (still not much) Fixed the broken studs and installed the other wheel weight (that was fun). Mentioning that... those two I had on the forks are about all it will move around with. Transferred enough weight that I got slightly stuck and dug a nice hole trying to get going.

-Pat
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick62 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 09:15:01 PM
Kpack

Default Re: I broke it

That's a pretty good load for that tractor
Old 07-22-2012, 09:51:26 PM
Registered

Not that much. Those logs are pop corn dry.

re-welded, fish plated. Tested. workable. I will be gentle with it.

Now to deal with the water pump that is about ready to grenade
Old 07-28-2012, 06:09:04 PM
Registered

Default broke it good this time

snapped it in half. Starting to frustrate me a bit.
Contrary to what was advertised, the stuff breaks like glass but not with the shrapnel that I was lead to believe. It seems that the 1 inch thick stuff is incredible strong. The thinner stuff that the support is made out of is the problem. Atleast this isn't boring... dangerous, but not boring.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:41:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts

You were told you were going to have trouble. Where is the economy in using this free material, if you have constant down time repairing it just to have it break again? I hope you don't end up injuring yourself or someone else.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 07-29-2012, 10:31:40 PM
Registered

No economy. Just being stubborn (one of my finer traits).

So the pieces were staring at me, and I was thinking again (I know, ) about the support structure. Came to the conclusion that a box would be way better. Rectangular tubing would be great, but none available. Stumbled over a honking heavy piece of 10 inch channel. discussed it with my buddy and we decided that if it were cut down the middle and the sides welded together, it makes a box. Cut it, and ready to weld it. Common steel!!! Not brittle like the blade! 3/8 thick in the middle, and the sides are way, way thicker.

Then I am going to create ends that allow me to bolt on the forks. With a little care I should be stronger than what I had by a bunch, and lighter as well!

It was a great afternoon tho, breaking them real good. I pushed a little and it snapped. I said screw it, let's load logs anyway. Got two on the trailer with the busted forks, and went for a larger one... chink. Done. Okay, let's set the remains on the trailer. Parked the arms on the trailer, and got the pins loose, but could not get them out. Had to raise the arms. Engine would not start. 50 year old starter expired. Raised arms with bottle jack. Removed starter and gazed at what was left of the brushes and armature...

Anyway, where is the economy in trying to use antique equipment that is going to break down anyway? Because I can't afford a $15,000 skid steer.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21:39 AM
Registered

I'm surprised no one has commented on the type of rod you are using. 6011 is basicly a pipe rod (wrong rod) not made for heavy equipment. You need a DC welding machine and I would personally use Hobart 10018-D2. You can use AC, but with a very short arc. You will probably have to go to a welding business to buy a few rods as at a welding suppy you will have to buy a 50 pound box.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:49:27 PM
Registered

Default wrong rod?

Just cause I own a welding machine, don't make me a welder any more than owning a couple of chainsaws makes me a logger.

6011 might not be the best for this application but it ain't the worst. Deep penetration and I did most of the work with DC straight.

I should be using 7018, but I can't get a decent bead with that stuff most of the time. 7014 is about the same as 6013, not enough penetration to suit me for working with this heavier steel.

End result? Sucess is a square box welded up, and two 3 foot long pieces of 1 inch thick 4 inch wide road grader blade Bolted!! on with 3/4" grade 5 bolts. It is working, and that little massy ferguson tractor has loaded some damn heavy logs for me thus far. I figure that the bolts are kind of a "fuse" if things really go to crap.

The tractor has a lot of character. Everything happens at ferguson speed. There ain't no way to hurry it up. The transmission shifts slowly and with dignity. The hi/low drifts outta gear easily, the brakes are a suggestion... The steering is a upper body workout. 1200 rpm is about right, any more and you get more smoke than you really want. Then you suck the carb dry. The starter is on it's death bed. When warm... there is maybe 10 psi of oil pressure . But it is skidding and loading logs.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:32:31 PM
Kpack

Boy those old little tractors are tuff I have the same problem with 7018 rods the real welders say metal has to be pretty clean and you have to weld in dc + polarity not ac they don't burn good says on the package that they will but they won't unless you turn it up so high they burn right thru your metal they make a ac 7018 rod they are not as good but will start a little better in ac polarity
Old 08-02-2012, 09:51:04 PM
Registered

Default 7018 ac

I was trying to use some 7018 and having some success with it... some...

I was running on AC as it was a large rod. 160A Then, I ran out and bought some total disappointment. Mexican rod sucks

Anyway, I can sometimes run a decent bead with the stuff. Much better with other flavors of rod.

yea, this little tractor is a pretty sturdy machine. I am thinking that when I get done with this current project, it will get some much needed internal repairs.

-Pat
Old 08-05-2012, 12:06:32 PM
Kpack

Hey patric haven't seen you post in a couple of days whats a matter did you quit breaking stuff
Old 08-07-2012, 12:09:49 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpack View Post
Hey patric haven't seen you post in a couple of days whats a matter did you quit breaking stuff
Stuff quit breaking on me!!! imagine that....

And the trailer with a modest load of logs:

if you look closely, you will notice a distinct haze of blue behind the tractor. I don't have to deal with mosquitoes in a cloud like that
Old 08-07-2012, 12:12:33 AM
Registered

Quote:

[IMG]/http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/Patrick62/P7310026.jpg[/IMG]

if you look closely, you will notice a distinct haze of blue behind the tractor. I don't have to deal with mosquitoes in a cloud like that
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14:46 AM
Registered

Quote:

Old 08-07-2012, 01:04:05 PM
Kpack

Patrick remind me never to let you borrow my tractor so you got it welded up pretty good huh

Last edited by Kpack; 08-07-2012 at 01:31:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Patrick remind me never to let you borrow my tractor so you got it welded up pretty good huh
welded up pretty good is enough that if I pick something up that I can't move with, it is welded up pretty good.

This tractor came to me for $1500 and has already seen a life time of abuse. I have a kludge on one of the cylinders to channel excessive leakage back to the tank. I am not trying to kill off the tractor. I have a huge pile of wood to remove and only 3 months to "get it done".

I found a log today that it would not lift. Chopped it to 10' and it got it to the trailer. Speaking of trailer... it is borrowed... someone actually trusts me!

-Pat