Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Broke off tap. Need help!

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 4073 times

Old 05-11-2014, 10:10:47 PM
Registered

Default Re: Broke off tap. Need help!

OK, sometimes the tap breaks off and the piece that is stuck in the hole is not tight, if you are lucky. If not... I had a 45JD BR that had part of the drawbar frame welded to the cast housing. I took the case to the machine shop. They cut off the old weld and drilled down and found a 3/4 inch tap broken off in the hole. They used a EDM to get rid of the tap, drilled a clean hole and inserted an insert with "stakes" to hold it in place and was threaded original size. I doubt you will get it out without mayhem and then you will take it to a pro. Believe me, it is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2014, 01:16:50 AM
Registered

Is this a blind hole or a through hole?. Old time gunsmiths used a small center punch to shatter the old carbon steel taps. High speed taps are another story. Is there enough of the tap sticking up that you can weld a nut on and then when cool turn the nut to extract the tap. I've not done this but saw it on the home shop machinist's forum. Frank
Old 05-12-2014, 01:44:09 PM
Subscriber

If I understand this right, with a tap this small, an extractor or any other kind of tool is not going to remove it unless there is enough sticking up to weld to. The best chance is the EDM tap burner at a machine shop. If not available, take an acetylene cutting torch and QUICKLY heat the tap red and hit the oxygen. It will blow that little guy out of there and not do any real damage to the mating part unless it is very small and light. At worst case, you have to install an insert. Good luck
Old 05-12-2014, 04:57:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanks all for the responses. Was a way for a day. The tap is 3/32 I think. Small. Broke flush with the surface.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

The hole is in the side of the block on the 1 hp famous where the Canadian tag was fastened. I was cleaning out the hole when I ran it too for in. It doesn't go through the block. It's not the end of the world. Could just drill a new hole and thread it and it would be off center just a little. Dosen't sound like it's worth trying to remove it. I did get a Dremel to grind a "starting divit" in it. Thought that if I can get it centered, could gind it down to where the clean out grooves are in the tap and it would break apart sort of.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:07:28 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,440 Times in 755 Posts

drill new hole right next to tap, grind etc.. to the side of the tap, knock it loose toward side where you have new hole, pull it out, weld it up or braze it up, redrill and retap hole.

or forget about it and drill a new hole.

I did that on a grade 10 bolt that secures the velvet drive prop hub to the boat prop shaft.
I used a grinding blade, ground right done into and through bolt, got the broken square head bolt out. Then I filled it with brazing rod, drilled and tapped been good, cant even tell it had a problem.

That did cut a slot in the outer cast iron hub which braze filled just perfect.
Never hit those bolts with a hammer, they just crack right off, strong but very brittle.