Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Anvil Collecting

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 29381 times

Old 12-22-2008, 10:48:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,521 Times in 667 Posts
Default Re: Anvil collecting

How come anvils dont have any kind of mounting flange with holes to hold them down? Seems like everyone has nails bent around them, is there a good way to hold them down?
Steve
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 05:17:16 PM
Registered

I think if you tried to bolt the anvil down using a hole through the feet, you would break the feet off from differential stress on the feet and/or stresses (shock) produced while using the anvil.

The best holddowns do not hold the legs, they hold the body (waist) of the anvil. Some holddowns are gravity: that is, they are only stops to keep the anvil from moving on the stand. One stand from Europe had the anvil bedded in sand, making the anvil adjustable and muted the ringing. On my 110 lb Joshua Wilkinson anvil, I have lengths of chain attached to the stand crossing over the ends of the anvil. A bolt between the chains tightens them down across the anvil base.

For those interested in anvil stands and holddowns, goto anvilfire.com and look around in the FAQs and pictures. My stand, made out of construction scrap lumber, is a slight variation of the Guru's Stand. Very stout for it's weight and very stable, also very movable using a hand truck since the anvil is so firmly attached
Old 12-31-2008, 01:24:06 PM
Registered

I was at Collingswood Fri and got a NOS Jensen P-10-S speaker in the factory box. Old hi-fi stuff is like gold!
Old 12-29-2017, 02:16:16 PM
Registered

Greetings all, I’m new to the forum. Regarding anvil hold down options, I’ve seen and used crossed chain turnbuckled to a stand made of 6x6 wood posts (60 # traveling demo anvil; railroad spikes or huge nail bent over the feet on stumps (250# ship stationary anvil) and routered or countersunk into wood (stumps or posts). My newest anvil I just bought, a 156# Hay Budden, is on a countersunk wood stand. Of them all, I like best my traveling anvil rig... as I can unchain and move it without fuss or bother.. but it’s secure as all get out when chained down. I personally confess to dumping the shop 250# Wright over one day... it was NOT easy getting that thing back up. Lol. One note... it’s just my opinion, but I prefer to work on anvils set on wood stands or stumps. The wood stand seems to slightly soften the hammer shock of pounding all day. (That and be sure to use your hammer correctly, right angle and all...of course).

---------- Post added at 01:16:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14:42 PM ----------

....and I confess to knowing zip about speakers and electronica... grin!